Sign in to follow this  
Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

The War On Drugs - is it 'working', and why is it a 'war' anyway ?

Drugs - is the current approach the best approach ?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is the war on drugs working ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should all drugs be legalised and availability and quality managed by the government

• Yes
    • No

" I agree with Hocus Pocus when he says 'need'. I someone needs a high to feel goo that's a dangerous relationship with drugs.

You need to get highs from your own life (job success, sporting success, self-development etc) naturally. This will also help artificial highs you take ie

If your happy with how life is progressing, grabbing a few pints while watching the football is absolutely fine, whereas, If you're depressed, going to the pub (regularly) may lead to problems..."

Or maybe we've created the social environment whereby unless you're successful, highly paid, a sports expert maybe have chiselled good looks and an all year tan you won't be as accepted as such? Or you could even be deemed to be a failure? Social exclusion is one of the biggest drivers, an increasing amount of people of all ages unfortunately fall into the trap of seeking 'highs' to possibly fill a void in their lives? Blot out the pain and thoughts of hopelessness? Binge eating, drinking, drugs to name a few.

Same argument can be used for those who are simply obsessed with body shape and the many pitfalls and health problems this can possibly lead too. We are all, to a greater or lesser extent, social creatures and ultimately want to be seen to conform and be a valued part of the human race.

Until such time or more is done to tackle the root causes, stopping problems re occurring at source, even to the point of acknowledging the fact that some pressures or issues in life may just be in the mind? As in not the actual true reality. Which then leads to the very next question. Why the hell are mental health cuts even being considered?

Nothing to do with countries as it's an individual lifestyle choice.

Is cannabis a pharmaceutical? It's more natural than alcohol...

Coke is natural (not currently, as it's heavily cut by dealers but in it's natural form).

Secondly, your assuming everyone who smokes weed or takes Molly/Ecstacy and/or snorts coke and/or takes a tab of LSD is addicted. Rather ignorant considering you proudly proclaim you have an occasional drink by contrast.

Many people have the occasional joint, it isn't addictive or only as much as alcohol at most.

People don't normally take MDMA/Ecstacy regularly. It's a 'big night' drug/festivals etc.

If you were talking about meth then that'd be fine but we aren't talking about drugs like that.

Is that why some individuals with supposedly very responsible or so called respectable jobs, or any number of highly qualified professionals are also prone to using hard drugs? Some on a regular basis? But appear to you and I as perfectly normal people.

" I agree with Hocus Pocus when he says 'need'. I someone needs a high to feel goo that's a dangerous relationship with drugs.

You need to get highs from your own life (job success, sporting success, self-development etc) natu ally. This will also help artificial highs you take ie

If your happy with how life is progressing, grabbing a few pints while watching the football is absolutely fine, whereas, If you're depressed, going to the pub (regularly) may lead to problems..."

Or maybe we've created the social environment whereby unless you're successful, highly paid, a sports expert maybe have chiselled good looks and an all year tan you won't be as accepted as such? Or you could even be deemed to be a failure? Social exclusion is one of the biggest drivers, an increasing amount of people of all ages unfortunately fall into the trap of seeking 'highs' to possibly fill a void in their lives? Blot out the pain and thoughts of hopelessness? Binge eating,

drinking, drugs to name a few.

Same argument can be used for those who are simply obsessed with body shape and the many pitfalls and health problems this can possibly lead too. We are all, to a greater or lesser extent, social creatures and ultimately want to be seen to conform and be a valued part of the human race.

Until such time or more is done to tackle the root causes, stopping problems re occurring at source, even

to the point of acknowledging the fact that some pressures or issues in life may just be in the mind? As in not the actual true reality. Which then leads to the very next question. Why the hell are mental health cuts even being considered?

You don't have to conform if you don't want to....

You can settle for a less well paying job if you so wish.

The point is, almost all of those points you raise CAN be achieved.

You can get the body you desire if you're prepared to put the work in. It's jut laziness If you don't. Stop complaining if you can't be bothered.

Nobody is forcing anyone to workout religiously though.

You can work hard and end up with a well paid job.

You can easily fake tan.

I get what you're saying but many people in highly paid jobs (as you say) take drugs, many people who are "tanned, shredded, young and rich" are party people and take drugs through their own choice.

All the people I know who take anything are doing so because they want to. Not through feeling inadequate and then taking drugs to get away from reality.

By 'tackle such issues' what do you mean?

The pro-fat lobby are now being challenged, in the same way the size zero models were.

It isn't that difficult to achieve a good body.

It's human nature to find certain characteristics attractive, you can't change that.

Not all women but most will find a six pack and muscle attractive.

The stereotypes are there for what men want too. Either you try and make yourself as attractive as possible (for yourself) or you don't.

I know what path I choose...

If only it was but in the eyes of the law it clearly isn't a lifestyle choice?

Any person who needs a fix to enjoy life is wasting life in my opinion, the world is full of spenders and natural phenomenons to enjoy why waste it on hallucinogenics.

From my own understanding of 'hallucinogenics' it could be argued that it is 'therapy' allowing a unique perspective on self that 'sober' view cannot afford one?

Some experiences in life are there for growth and not just for 'giggles'? 

In Northern Europe the use of natural Hallucinogenics during 'ritual' was the 'norm' for many thousands of years allowing participants a unique view of ( their?) Life.

I would suggest that Cannabis is also 'used' as 'aide' to better understanding of self...... a thing that imbibing Govt. Drugs does not really facilitate?  

Other than undermining the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries of course. They can't allow that...

Sorry for bumping this one... (Just trying to promote some new discussion)

Do you feel the UK will legalise cannabis in the near future? Or just a change in attitude?

I see reports that 'medical marijuana' is to be legal in Ireland. Isn't Germany also passing legislation? (I need to have a proper look into it tbh)

We have many US States (25 i think) that have some degree of decriminalisation/legalisation of weed. However, only a minority of states are fully legal.

Usually i'd have said no. Never in a million years.

However with a different approach seeping in with regard to how we view drugs and how best to minimise their effects on society ie the shooting galleries in Glasgow for heroin. Which i do support. 

You can already get sterile needles etc at NHS exchanges.

So at the extreme end we are seeing 'some' movement.

At the other, (with cannabis) we had the head of Durham police and also a police force in the South-West basically say they wouldn't prosecute for 'up to a couple homegrown plants' which is in essense decriminalisation. So i'm starting to think before i'm dead (i'm 20 haha) there will be a change in attitude.

A second question, if not, why is our poll so wildly inaccurate? 

Why does 95% of those on here think the 'war on drugs' isn't working yet the wider populace are far more 50/50?

Edited by SW Saltire

I don't think the law will ever change in this country. The influential right wing press would never allow it.

I hope it will be available on prescription for those who need it one day though.

I still don't get the thought process behind folks who support the ban on cannabis yet are happy to swig pints in their local - just does not add up.

Edited by Nick L

As with many other situations, our beloved HMG would rather prefer to stick to its antediluvian attitude towards cannabis, than move into the 21st Century...I'm guessing that T. Rex  & Co. will somehow claim that pain-relief using marijuana is somehow 'against Christian teachings' - or some other such nonsense?

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

As with many other situations, our beloved HMG would rather prefer to stick to its antediluvian attitude towards cannabis, than move into the 21st Century...I'm guessing that T. Rex  & Co. will somehow claim that pain-relief using marijuana is somehow 'against Christian teachings' - or some other such nonsense?

Yet there are suggestions that Jesus himself was a cannabis user...would explain a few things :D

16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't think the law will ever change in this country. The influential right wing press would never allow it.

I hope it will be available on prescription for those who need it one day though.

I still don't get the thought process behind folks who support the ban on cannabis yet are happy to swig pints in their local - just does not add up.

Probably true although i hold out hope.

Idk why it is such a right/left issue. Yes, there is an association between the drug and the 'left' but that doesn't exist in America. It is normal.

Same in Canada and i believe Canada is also different with other stuff i've been told but i won't go there.

What about my second question? Why is this forum so 'unrepresentative'? Ultimately, unless we had a referendum we really wouldn't know...

6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yet there are suggestions that Jesus himself was a cannabis user...would explain a few things :D

Hahaha, F(F)S

Edited by SW Saltire

5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Perhaps they all shared a bong during the Last Supper? Oops - mustn't mock?:crazy:

20 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Probably true although i hold out hope.

Idk why it is such a right/left issue. Yes, there is an association between the drug and the 'left' but that doesn't exist in America. It is normal.

Same in Canada and i believe Canada is also different with other stuff i've been told but i won't go there.

What about my second question? Why is this forum so 'unrepresentative'? Ultimately, unless we had a referendum we really wouldn't know...

Hahaha, F(F)S

Well you say it's a left-right issue, but I disagree. There are more Tories than Labour MPs who openly support at least some legalisation of cannabis, they probably see the huge potential financial benefit from it. In the states you see a mix of Democrat and Republicans who support relaxing laws too. The Lib Dems are the only ones of the major parties who openly support legalising and regulating the cannabis market (well, so do the Greens, but not exactly a major party). Heck, even Nigel Farage in the past has described the current prohibition laws "barmy"!

And no idea about the second question. The same is true when you look at how pro-Indy the Scottish members are on here, and the strong UKIP support as well! We're a weird mix :D

Edited by Nick L

5 hours ago, Nick L said:

Well you say it's a left-right issue, but I disagree. There are more Tories than Labour MPs who openly support at least some legalisation of cannabis, they probably see the huge potential financial benefit from it. In the states you see a mix of Democrat and Republicans who support relaxing laws too. The Lib Dems are the only ones of the major parties who openly support legalising and regulating the cannabis market (well, so do the Greens, but not exactly a major party). Heck, even Nigel Farage in the past has described the current prohibition laws "barmy"!

And no idea about the second question. The same is true when you look at how pro-Indy the Scottish members are on here, and the strong UKIP support as well! We're a weird mix :D

You missread my man (or rather i was not clear!).

I meant 'idk why it is (seen) as a left/right issue (when it isn't).

So i completely agree with what you said.

Hmmm, we live in hope....

If i do go into the Police, it would make it a hell of a lot easier to cope with.

Yeah, fair. Suppose it is the older demographic who are more opposed but that is somewhat weak generalisation as the strong UKIP vote is out of kilter with that.

I'm not sure i trust polling as much anymore so who knows!

35 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

You missread my man (or rather i was not clear!).

I meant 'idk why it is (seen) as a left/right issue (when it isn't).

So i completely agree with what you said.

Hmmm, we live in hope....

If i do go into the Police, it would make it a hell of a lot easier to cope with.

Yeah, fair. Suppose it is the older demographic who are more opposed but that is somewhat weak generalisation as the strong UKIP vote is out of kilter with that.

I'm not sure i trust polling as much anymore so who knows!

Ah fair enough.