Sign in to follow this  
Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

The War On Drugs - is it 'working', and why is it a 'war' anyway ?

Drugs - is the current approach the best approach ?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is the war on drugs working ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should all drugs be legalised and availability and quality managed by the government

• Yes
    • No

You can bake it into delicious brownies...apparently  :whistling:

Someone who isn't me, thinks that this sounds a laborious process ;)

I'm sure in a hospital it could be done in a mask way, where you breathe normally with the mask and you'd be breathing in the chemicals to help in.

Tbh, the medical side of it is neither here nor there for a lot of people (certainly for my peers, obviously).

Just thinking of a nice evening tomorrow which will spent watching my back as relaxed druggies spoil the night for everybody else. Unfortunately one of the people I meet can't walk very far so at the moment it's a case of running the gauntlet and hoping the pub they normally use opens again. Sadly the druggies keep driving the landlords out then move across to the other pub.

The difference in the atmosphere when they are not in is tremendous.

Doubt that sounds like weed, Ecstacy or coke...

They sound like junkies taking amphetamines or harder stuff like crack, meth or heroine.

Not sure how it links with what we are talking about tbh mate.

You can bake it into delicious brownies...apparently  :whistling:

I know someone that wont smoke it with tobacco because of fear of getting hooked again so he just uses a pipe as it isn't addictive or carcinogenic like tobacco. 

Someone who isn't me, thinks that this sounds a laborious process ;)

I'm sure in a hospital it could be done in a mask way, where you breathe normally with the mask and you'd be breathing in the chemicals to help in.

Tbh, the medical side of it is neither here nor there for a lot of people (certainly for my peers, obviously).

But there are many people out there who could well be completely unaware that this could alleviate pain, as our government and the media like to hush up any potential, and to demonise cannabis. It's an absolute disgrace that people are denied a medication that could improve their lives no end.

I'm not saying everyone who has pain or suffers from other chronic conditions will find it a miracle cure, but the option for it to be prescribed should be there. The government needs to get its head out of the sand and grow up.

But there are many people out there who could well be completely unaware that this could alleviate pain, as our government and the media like to hush up any potential, and to demonise cannabis. It's an absolute disgrace that people are denied a medication that could improve their lives no end.

I'm not saying everyone who has pain or suffers from other chronic conditions will find it a miracle cure, but the option for it to be prescribed should be there. The government needs to get its head out of the sand and grow up.

Demonise? Yes, they'll do anything to try to look good. Or pretend.

That is why more people are likely to despise them. Young and old.

I have no problem with these drugs being used for medicinal purposes at all, I do remain firmly against their legalisation though. A bit toungne in cheek, but if they were legalised and the government got its taxation claws into it, we will be back to the black market where we started with  :)

Edited by HighPressure

I have no problem with these drugs being used for medicinal purposes at all, I do remain firmly against their legalisation though. A bit toungne in cheek, but if they were legalised and the government got its taxation claws into it, we will be back to the black market we started with  :)

Good point just like the unofficial tobacco sellers. I suppose really this can't be won either way completely. 

TBH I really hate taking meds even with a script so the chances of me ever touching cannabis is unlikely. 

In my view, what I or anyone else decides to ingest, smoke, drink, whatever, is none of the government's damn business!

The problem with using it as a medicine is it would need to be changed surely.

I mean you WOULD get high in its present form which is not something you want to do in some circumstances.

You'd need to remove the 'high' aspect of the plant.

Secondly, Nick L (we've been over this before) but as much as I agree in principle with what you have said (liberty and all) I can't condone the state not outlawing heroine or meth.

Those drugs are too bad, too severe, too addictive, too damaging to give a 'laissez-faire' approach too.

That's irresponsible government IMO.

Edited by SW Saltire

I mean you WOULD get high in its present form which is not something you want to do in some circumstances.

Secondly, Nick L (we've been over this before) but as much as I agree in principle with what you age said (liberty and all) I can't condone the state not outlawing heroine or meth.

Those drugs are too bad, too severe, too addictive, too damaging to give a 'laissez-afire' approach too.

I don't know the science behind it, but it has been engineered to remove the psychoactive part in some strains/medicinal forms. Although some might say getting high is a nice side effect :laugh:

I'm not saying meth and heroin should be just unleashed without restriction, but I don't think applying criminal penalties to their use is the right way forward either.

Edited by Nick L

​There have been several variations on medical processed cannabis derivatives that's been on trial in various places that seeks to significantly reduce the 'high' while maintaining medicinal benefit. However though it's proven useful for a fairly narrow range of conditions in some circumstances,  for many conditions where there's growing evidence that cannabis is medically useful, it's the cannabinoids which induce highs, ie those that particularly actively trigger cannabinoid receptors that are the useful/active component, so the high can't (at least at this stage) be separated from the medical upside. 

Edited by skifreak

I don't know the science behind it, but it has been engineered to remove the psychoactive part in some strains/medicinal forms. Although some might say getting high is a nice side effect :laugh:

Haha, agreed. Not when the family come visit though....

I'm not saying meth and heroin should be just unleashed without restriction, but I don't think applying criminal penalties to their use is the right way forward either

Maybe true. It's a hard one. The junkies affected should get treatment but the dealers and anyone with more than 'personal' should be punished severely IMO. Even more severely than currently, you really will ruin people's lives.

Problem is the big time heroine dealers are big-time criminals. Take the (I think it was McGovan) McGovans in Glasgow, 1990s etc, making 1000% profits on their 'tenner' bags. Hard to stop them when they get that strong, still going today on a slightly smaller scale.

​There have been several variations on medical processed cannabis derivatives that's been on trial in various places that seeks to significantly reduce the 'high' while maintaining medicinal benefit. However though it's proven useful for a fairly narrow range of conditions in some circumstances,  for many conditions where there's growing evidence that cannabis is medically useful, it's the cannabinoids which induce highs, ie those that particularly actively trigger cannabinoid receptors that are the useful/active component, so the high can't (at least at this stage) be separated from the medical upside.

Good post again. 'work in progress' would be apt I think. Hence, the lack of movement towards mainstream medical use... Maybe? I'm postulating here

Well more effort needs to be made to tackle why people resort to vile means such as heroin in the first place.

Well more effort needs to be made to tackle why people resort to vile means such as heroin in the first place.

People often think heroin is the preserve of those who feel their life is in a hopeless place, but it's far from being that clear cut.  There's been notably higher than normally prevalent levels of heroin use amongst generally younger people in the offshore sectors, more so in the deep sea fishing sector (see Fraserburgh and Peterhead particularly late 90s into early 2000s), but as the number of vessels contracted also in the oil industry. Far from being the stereotypical down and out 'druggie' here you have the opposite end of the spectrum - people who have the income to be able to afford a habit and hold down a decent job for whom hard drugs have replaced alcohol as the drug of choice.

Why? Well no doubt it's complicated, and some people have used the cannabis as a gateway drug argument. Though a factor in that was the increasing prevalence of work place drug testing and one of the issues with cannabis being illegal is that it is detectable a very long time after any intoxication has worn off (we are talking weeks here). An unintended consequence of drug testing is that people have moved to harder drugs that leave the body faster in order to be less likely to show up in such tests. It's a small, but important example of the reality of prohibition working absolutely against the stated purpose of it, ie prohibition leading to people making a conscious decision to use harder drugs and thus potential increase in drug related harm. 

Edited by skifreak

Secondly, Nick L (we've been over this before) but as much as I agree in principle with what you have said (liberty and all) I can't condone the state not outlawing heroine or meth.

Those drugs are too bad, too severe, too addictive, too damaging to give a 'laissez-faire' approach too.

as far as Cannabis is concerned;

I think you need to look at the growing U.S. market for the depth of 'medicinal cannabiniods' available. from the basic differences between the Sativa/Indica to the genetic 'blends' to the distilled oils etc.

We need remember that as a 'herb' we have many thousands of years of 'experimentation' on the many conditions it is known to be beneficial for? ( gaining royal approval for easing menstrual cramps!) with no reports of bad side effects and no deaths from overdose!!!!

Any person who needs a fix to enjoy life is wasting life in my opinion, the world is full of spenders and natural phenomenons to enjoy why waste it on hallucinogenics.

Any person who needs a fix to enjoy life is wasting life in my opinion, the world is full of spenders and natural phenomenons to enjoy why waste it on hallucinogenics.

I've never take an hallucinogen in my life, HP; but, be that as it may, the 'war on drugs' has been an abject failure...

I've never take an hallucinogen in my life, HP; but, be that as it may, the 'war on drugs' has been an abject failure...

Indeed it as Ed, what can be done is beyond my pay grade though.

Indeed it as Ed, what can be done is beyond my pay grade though.

Agreed. And those that are on the requisite pay grades are simply not interested.

I'm guessing you have never had a drink as you would rather stay sober at the party no?  :drunk: Avoid caffeine it might heighten your senses too you don't want to risk that  :rolleyes: and Better to avoid sugary foods too that sugar rush can be quite intoxicating. :D  

If thats what you would rather do then fine each to their own but for me life's about living and experiencing different things and sometimes it can just be fun to loosen up a bit and escape everyday life at a party whether it is alcohol or smoke or something else.  :hi:

For me "wasting life" would be having a game of golf or watching the soaps but some people love all that, we are all different.

I enjoy the 'natural phenomenon' that is cannabis too sometimes.  :D

Edited by Nights King

I love life and live it to the full and yes I do like the occasional drink but I don't need it to exist, that's the difference to those who need pharmaceuticals or otherwise to enjoy life.

I'm guessing you have never had a drink as you would rather stay sober at the party no?  :drunk: Avoid caffeine it might heighten your senses too you don't want to risk that  :rolleyes: and Better to avoid sugary foods too that sugar rush can be quite intoxicating. :D  

If thats what you would rather do then fine each to their own but for me life's about living and experiencing different things and sometimes it can just be fun to loosen up a bit and escape everyday life at a party whether it is alcohol or smoke or something else.  :hi:

For me "wasting life" would be having a game of golf or watching the soaps but some people love all that, we are all different.

I enjoy the 'natural phenomenon' that is cannabis too sometimes.  :D

Exactly. I mean Acid (LSD) isn't my cup of tea (never taken it but just doesn't appeal) but really a hallucinogenic is anything that destorts reality so any substance does that really.

I agree with Hocus Pocus when he says 'need'. I someone needs a high to feel goo that's a dangerous relationship with drugs.

You need to get highs from your own life (job success, sporting success, self-development etc) naturally. This will also help artificial highs you take ie

If your happy with how life is progressing, grabbing a few pints while watching the football is absolutely fine, whereas, If you're depressed, going to the pub (regularly) may lead to problems...

I like Golf!

In all seriousness, a sporting 'high' is probably one of the best.

Why do people workout? A variety of reasons but the endorphin release at the end is probably significant, a natural high that lasts most I the day.

Life's full of pros and cons, you just have to get the right balance IMO and sometimes to you need to roll the dice...

Everyone I know gets absolutely wrecked when out in the town, it's just standard. I just find it a bit hypocritical, for us (society) to just laugh about people getting obliterated on a Saturday night (guilty) but to see someone as a hardcore criminal if they are smoking a joint in their own home or snorting a couple lines at an after party.

All the same thing really.

I love life and live it to the full and yes I do like the occasional drink but I don't need it to exist, that's the difference to those who need pharmaceuticals or otherwise to enjoy life.

Question then bodes as to why some countries take a slightly different stance?

Question then bodes as to why some countries take a slightly different stance?

Nothing to do with countries as it's an individual lifestyle choice.