Sign in to follow this  
Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

The War On Drugs - is it 'working', and why is it a 'war' anyway ?

Drugs - is the current approach the best approach ?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is the war on drugs working ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should all drugs be legalised and availability and quality managed by the government

• Yes
    • No

I worry for this country if everyone wants to smoke dope, it is not an environment I want my kids to grow up,and it is not a substance I want readily available to them.

I agree the situation is a hypocritical one, smoking tobacco (agreed not good) is being ever more targeted as bad, yet substances such as alcohol and recreational drugs are being downgraded to just a bit of fun or relaxation. I also agree that one cig, one drink or one joint is not going to hurt anyone, but the result of addiction to the last 2 has far worse outcomes than the first.

There have always been drugs of one sort or another but the thought of half the nation spending their time getting high is concerning. Once we go down this road maybe a little snort of coke or a small shoot up with crack becomes ever more acceptable.

Do not half the population or more already spend time getting 'high' on alcohol alone? if we add the others in its probably higher.  Whats wrong in one enjoying themselves how they choose as long as proper education is available? 

If I could quit smoking by swapping it for pot I would as does me far less harm but sadly nicotine is actually addictive. You don't see many long term social smokers they are rare and I envy them.

As for your kids perhaps it would actually be less available to them if illegal growers were put out of business and they had to wait until 18 years of age to buy it in a store? Don't remember needing ID down the back allys as a child but maybe I was too drunk to remember.  :D

Edited by Nights King

I worry for this country if everyone wants to smoke dope, it is not an environment I want my kids to grow up,and it is not a substance I want readily available to them.

I agree the situation is a hypocritical one, smoking tobacco (agreed not good) is being ever more targeted as bad, yet substances such as alcohol and recreational drugs are being downgraded to just a bit of fun or relaxation. I also agree that one cig, one drink or one joint is not going to hurt anyone, but the result of addiction to the last 2 has far worse outcomes than the first.

There have always been drugs of one sort or another but the thought of half the nation spending their time getting high is concerning. Once we go down this road maybe a little snort of coke or a small shoot up with crack becomes ever more acceptable.

I suspect the opposite will happen - prohibition is a wonderful incentive to try something.

While my friends and acquaintances tried to shield their children from perceived evils and the seedier areas, I operated an immersion therapy policy. Only by experience, can children make the right choices. They will not do so under a sheltered environment, protected from life's realities.

I suspect the opposite will happen - prohibition is a wonderful incentive to try something.

While my friends and acquaintances tried to shield their children from perceived evils and the seedier areas, I operated an immersion therapy policy. Only by experience, can children make the right choices. They will not do so under a sheltered environment, protected from life's realities.

It's often the sheltered children that go off the rails once they finally escape their parents. Once the gate is finally opened they Bolt..

Can't keep them in a padded room forever.

You're making the assumption that if it were legal everyone would rush out and buy it.

Evidence elsewhere suggests this is not the case.

I'd prefer to deal with someone who is stoned than blind drunk any day!

It's often the sheltered children that go off the rails once they finally escape their parents. Once the gate is finally opened they Bolt..

Can't keep them in a padded room forever.

Absolutely! I saw this at close quarters and the heartbreak that went with it.

I'm pleased to say my children were fine and now implementing similar for my grand children.

Edited by Nouska

This is all academic anyway. We certainly won't see any liberalisation in drug laws under this government, and Labour's track record on evidence-based drug policy is appalling.

I know the UK is becoming increasingly Americanised I'd prefer to keep things as they are. I know a lot who smoke weed are in fact are quite ignorant saying oh it'll cure cancer and all that drivel.

I know the UK is becoming increasingly Americanised I'd prefer to keep things as they are. I know a lot who smoke weed are in fact are quite ignorant saying oh it'll cure cancer and all that drivel.

Except that nobody is saying that...

I think you'll find that your the ignorant one and not your 'toking' associates. A friend  was diagnosed with cancer 18 months ago and because of the awful side-effects of chemotherapy decided to try the cannabis 'hash oil' route. This has left him almost penny-less but he's still with us and his tumour has ceased to grow and doctors have told him to keep on 'self-medicating' but to reduce the amount he's been taking as the they believe the tumour has become benign. Commercially available cannabinoids, such as dronabinol and nabilone, are approved drugs for the treatment of cancer-related side effects.

I know what you mean, how silly to allow people to use it on serious diseases which many study's now show it has huge beneficial properties when you risk them having euphoric side effects. 

25 quid or there about's is a quiet evening in the local pub but if you bought some wacky backy it would last a MONTH.  :whistling:

Month?... 2/3 days mate tops ;)

How do you go about doing this? (Out of interest)

I think we would see an initial spike after legalisation. Perhaps easing down after a few years, I'm fairly confident alcohol use would gradually fall.

In the US/Canada, weed is more popular than drink amongst the young (both being popular of course). Not sure if our culture would become more 'American' but I can see parallels anyway.

The bottom line is cannabis isn't damaging in any meaningful capacity, even if you abuse it you can quit with relative ease.

People are going to do what they want to do.

I just don't tell my parents anything, a better relationship woul be the one my best friend has with his dad. They openly talk about the drugs they've taken etc.

IMO, that's too liberal but the 'sheltered approach' doesn't work either.

I think that's fine until 16 and then I would change tact if I were a parent. Be more liberal.

Whether I'd go so far as to say 'if you're buying Ecstacy pills check on 'pill report' and other websites to check if they are ok etc I'm unsure...

The school is went to was a pretty good one, nice catchment area... Blah blah.

Many of the kids with middle class parents have taken just as much drugs as those from less affluent areas. I would say over 50% have smoked weed before and not an insignificant number have taken Ecstacy and/or Coke.

I know the UK is becoming increasingly Americanised I'd prefer to keep things as they are

The irony in that post is that the whole 'War on Drugs' and prohibition are about as Americanised as you can get.

The irony in that post is that the whole 'War on Drugs' and prohibition are about as Americanised as you can get.

True.

However, It does seem like their culture has changed (certainly in Cali, Colorado, etc) in relation to drugs (certainly Cannabis, no clue about Ecstacy or coke etc).

Before I'm dead (if it's old age that kills me) I think it will be legal here or at the very least, the youth of the future will not be such 'criminals' in the eyes of the law.

True.

However, It does seem like their culture has changed (certainly in Cali, Colorado, etc) in relation to drugs (certainly Cannabis, no clue about Ecstacy or coke etc).

Before I'm dead (if it's old age that kills me) I think it will be legal here or at the very least, the youth of the future will not be such 'criminals' in the eyes of the law.

Youth? I know quite a few tokers, most of which are in their 30's - 40's  :D

I don't think coke or ecstasy will ever be legalized, the reason their culture is changing over the pond towards cannabis is because they are embracing new positive research and public opinion is slowly changing towards it. 

just takes a little longer in this country with the old fashioned establishment we have but I think mover time things will change.

I know what you mean, how silly to allow people to use it on serious diseases which many study's now show it has huge beneficial properties when you risk them having euphoric side effects.

I do not think you do there are no beneficial properties it's just physiological your brain is really just being deceived if you suffer from a chronic condition perhaps it should be administered. I can take that. But for recreational purposes I just don't see it call me boring but when smoking came about in its infancy all doctors praised it, I do not think much is known about weed to be sure of any ill side effects and long terms impacts to your health only recently it's been making headlines. Inhaling any sort of fumes is going to do bad to your insides hidden dangers are the worst type of dangers. You can take the 'you only live once' approach but I'll pass.

Edited by Daniel*

I do not think you do there are no beneficial properties it's just physiological your brain is really just being deceived if you suffer from a chronic condition perhaps it should be administered. I can take that. But for recreational purposes I just don't see it call me boring but when smoking came about in its infancy all doctors praised it, I do not think much is known about weed to be sure of any ill side effects and long terms impacts to your health only recently it's been making headlines. Inhaling any sort of fumes is going to do bad to your insides hidden dangers are the worst type of dangers. You can take the 'you only live once' approach but I'll pass.

But again, the horrendous side effects of booze and tobacco are well known, yet available on every street corner.

If cannabis has benefits for peeps suffering from MS, and other myelin-related ailments, that seems like good grounds for research, to me...Most anti-cancer drugs are cytotoxins; it's their very cytotoxicity that renders them effective. If we banned every substance that's toxic, we have no efficacious cures for anything!

IMO, your stance on 'drugs' is, quite frankly, rather silly!

but I'll pass

​That's the thing with social conservatism, because I'll pass on something everyone else has to as well! Why does it matter to you if cannabis is legal if you aren't going to use it, legalisation hardly brings compulsion. Other people using it has no impact on you, so why should your say stop others? Tanked up aggressive blind drunks are far more likely to impact on other peoples life than someone friends who perhaps slightly over loaded the bong who really are only a danger to the cookie jar.

I do not think you do there are no beneficial properties it's just physiological your brain is really just being deceived if you suffer from a chronic condition perhaps it should be administered. I can take that. But for recreational purposes I just don't see it call me boring but when smoking came about in its infancy all doctors praised it, I do not think much is known about weed to be sure of any ill side effects and long terms impacts to your health

only recently it's been making headlines. Inhaling any sort of fumes is going to do bad to your insides hidden dangers are the worst type of dangers. You can take the 'you only live once' approach but I'll pass

To Address 'night Kings' reply to me. Only the young can push for change. Those above 65 seem the most socially conservative, with that decreasing as they get younger.

Use may not be higher than 30/40 years ago but general awareness most definitely is up and America's cannabis lobby can be a great example for how we should proceed.

Skifreak - fantastic post.

I may be a 'conservative' but my 'social' views are what makes me a liberal. Not a fan of social conservatism at all, infact it's infuriating to me.

To address this post -

No beneficial properties?

Well what does?

Any 'high' is just a reaction within your body. Be that passing your driving test, graduating uni, birth of child etc etc.

A drug which relaxes you is obviously beneficial, in the same way coffee gets (some people) going in the morning.

Consistent drug use is never good but most things in moderation are fine.

Do you drink?

Hypocritical if you do.

If you don't, then ok but sometimes you need to seize the day and some experiences are better with some 'help'.

If cannabis has benefits for peeps suffering from MS, and other myelin-related ailments, that seems like good grounds for research, to me...Most anti-cancer drugs are cytotoxins; it's their very cytotoxicity that renders them effective. If we banned every substance that's toxic, we have no efficacious cures for anything!

IMO, your stance on 'drugs' is, quite frankly, rather silly!

I have heard this but haven't tried it as not a smoker, if they prescribe it in someway other than smoke form I will give it a go. 

Just thinking of a nice evening tomorrow which will spent watching my back as relaxed druggies spoil the night for everybody else. Unfortunately one of the people I meet can't walk very far so at the moment it's a case of running the gauntlet and hoping the pub they normally use opens again. Sadly the druggies keep driving the landlords out then move across to the other pub.

The difference in the atmosphere when they are not in is tremendous.

I have heard this but haven't tried it as not a smoker, if they prescribe it in someway other than smoke form I will give it a go. 

You can bake it into delicious brownies...apparently  :whistling:

Edited by Nick L

Just thinking of a nice evening tomorrow which will spent watching my back as relaxed druggies spoil the night for everybody else. Unfortunately one of the people I meet can't walk very far so at the moment it's a case of running the gauntlet and hoping the pub they normally use opens again. Sadly the druggies keep driving the landlords out then move across to the other pub.

The difference in the atmosphere when they are not in is tremendous.

sounds awful ,don't get that in my country tipple tavern :)..

You can, as Nick L suggested, make brownies with it...As far as I know, I don't have MS, alexis; but I did, purely coincidentally, obtain some 'grass' in late 2011. And, by a pure coincidence, it took away my back-pain within 5 minutes. I'd had that back-pain for months...I've never had it since! :D

PS: I haven't touched marijuana since then - I haven't needed it. But getting off alcohol and tobacco has not been so easy!

Edited by Ed Stone