Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Siting weather station

Posted

Hi there. I'm a newbie in here, looking at a Davis Vantage Vue with Weatherlink so I can see the readings from my iPhone. It's for work (a farm).

I have 3 possible sites to mount the ISS:

1. On top of the office. There's already a pole for a two way radio but it would need securing as it wobbles about in the wind. There's a few trees around the building too which will add to distort the readings & It would be fiddly to get at to service it.
  2. In a corner of a field about 50m away with one breeze block building in the way to block the wireless signal. It would give the most relevant wind data as I would use it as a guide to when I could go crop spraying which needs wind speeds of <7 mph. I am spraying for most of the year & at a glance I could see gust speeds & the average.
  3. On top of a catwalk 20 metres in the air, on top of my grain silos. My health & safety consultant would like me to have wind speed readings before we go up there to work on the equipment up there. It would have no false readings as it would be at the highest point & can be securely bolted to the framework. It would be 50 metres away from the office & the console unit wouldn't quite have line of sight. I would be quite worried about how long the anemometer would last as it's very exposed up there & it would be zooming around for most of the time.

Other questions:

What is the range of the unit? The Davis website states 300m but I would imagine that buildings will really restrict this.

What do I need to plug the console into an Ethernet connection on the router so I can remotely see it? 

Is it worth getting the Weatherlink software or will freeware like Cumulus be ok? I could do with it being visible on our website & via a smartphone.

If the ISS is based on ground level, what's the minimum height to get reasonable readings?

Where is a good place to buy one with good back up in Dorset or Wiltshire?

Thanks in advance

Posted

I did a walk test with mine and it did transmit up to about 1000 feet quite reliably, but that was with no wall at all between, so half that is more realistic - and if you have two or more walls considerably less.
I'd be surprised if it didn't work fine at 50m but you might drop the odd data packet during adverse radio conditions - no big deal.

If part of the requirement is to check windspeed for jobs such as spraying it would be counter-productive to put it particularly high since you'd be interested in wind speed at around 10-20 feet.
I believe the recommendation with the Vue is to install in an open area, ideally over grass and at a height between 2m and 4m.
This is reckoned to be the best compromise for the three main elements being measured.

The 'correct' height for air temperatures is around 1.5 metres and the 'correct' height for wind is 11 metres.
For rain to be accurate the bucket should be in a relatively sheltered enclosure and at ground level.
The all in one design of the Vue obviously requires some compromises!

If the site is open to the prevailing winds the difference near ground won't be that much

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I can't add much to 4wd's post above other than to say the Met' Office have conducted extensive tests on the differing wind speed with height and the mean speed at the standard height of 10m is 30% more than that at 2m on open ground.

If you do mount your Vue on the walkway at 20m  you would need to subtract 40% from the mean speed to obtain the mean speed at 2m above ground level.

Posted

Thank you. :good:

One final question - I'd like to get an additional console to have at home 60 feet away from the ISS site. Does it have to be a Vantage Vue one?