Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Posted this on the solar activity thread, but I think it has relevance here too:

Posted

I stand to be corrected but I believe most of the seasonal models have upper strat modelling included? Recretos seems to indicate in his post that I am wrong here so I await more info

I stand to be corrected but I believe most of the seasonal models have upper strat modelling included? Recretos seems to indicate in his post that I am wrong here so I await more info

oh yeah? but then how a model can you know whether there will be a warming (high or low) in the stratosphere 2/3 months before maturity if it included this factor in? It's just not possible so a model we know what it's worth, nothing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Heres the latest sunspot number trends from the BOM Australia site. Notice the recent spike in the september number after a first max back in Feb/March of this year.

2014 82.0 102.8 92.2 84.7 75.2 71.0 72.5 74.7 87.6

Although sunspots have been slowly decreasing since early October, if we do see another spike I found some interesting trends. In the 4 years with an ONI between 0.3 and 1.1 in the DJF trimonthly period, a -30mb QBO and a Jan monthly SSN at or above 100 we get this result at 500mb.

Notice the -NAO/AO

attachicon.gifybOs5WJv2f.png

March was particularly cold in both the S UK and North America

attachicon.gifB0E1PnTCUAA9xXy.png

30mb Stratospheric Temperatures

attachicon.gifomr3G3K9AP.png

Also found it interesting how 3/4 of these years had a CW in November:

1958-59 had a CW in Nov/Dec with a FW in March. 

1968-69 had a CW in November.

1969-70 had a SSW in January.

1979-80 had a CW in November and a FW in March.

This increase in sunspots is a possibility but a low one at this point. I'll add some of the other analogs I'm watching and see what we get at 500mb. The main focus of my years was -QBO,monthly SSN between 40-90, weak el nino or warm neutral conditions while considering other factors like the PDO, Walker Cell, AMO, KOE,ONI trends etc(with some obvious exceptions within some of the analogs). There were some really interesting results for the UK especially in Dec-Jan.

Dec: 

attachicon.gif410bx5Ew7H.png

Jan is strongly -WPO,-NAO/AO,-PNA,-Ve over the UK:

attachicon.gifEl2uYLAiGp.png

Feb:

attachicon.gifZddM5zlVt6.png

March:

attachicon.gifwC1pjGbyi0.png

Strat was very warm overall with strong wave one.

GPH

attachicon.gifE4OTaeF0C1.png

30mb Air Temperature

attachicon.gifbaURW7S4o_.png

Cheers from Canada and hopefully we can share some of the snow this winter,

Blizzardof96

Greetings and many thanks for your analysis. You certainly received far too much snow than your quota should allow you last Winter as the UK and for that matter, vast parts of Europe received next to nothing. This time, it will be ours, well maybe.  :bomb:

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Heres the latest sunspot number trends from the BOM Australia site. Notice the recent spike in the september number after a first max back in Feb/March of this year.

2014 82.0 102.8 92.2 84.7 75.2 71.0 72.5 74.7 87.6

Although sunspots have been slowly decreasing since early October, if we do see another spike I found some interesting trends. In the 4 years with an ONI between 0.3 and 1.1 in the DJF trimonthly period, a -30mb QBO and a Jan monthly SSN at or above 100 we get this result at 500mb.

Notice the -NAO/AO

attachicon.gifybOs5WJv2f.png

March was particularly cold in both the S UK and North America

attachicon.gifB0E1PnTCUAA9xXy.png

30mb Stratospheric Temperatures

attachicon.gifomr3G3K9AP.png

Also found it interesting how 3/4 of these years had a CW in November:

1958-59 had a CW in Nov/Dec with a FW in March. 

1968-69 had a CW in November.

1969-70 had a SSW in January.

1979-80 had a CW in November and a FW in March.

This increase in sunspots is a possibility but a low one at this point. I'll add some of the other analogs I'm watching and see what we get at 500mb. The main focus of my years was -QBO,monthly SSN between 40-90, weak el nino or warm neutral conditions while considering other factors like the PDO, Walker Cell, AMO, KOE,ONI trends etc(with some obvious exceptions within some of the analogs). There were some really interesting results for the UK especially in Dec-Jan.

Dec: 

attachicon.gif410bx5Ew7H.png

Jan is strongly -WPO,-NAO/AO,-PNA,-Ve over the UK:

attachicon.gifEl2uYLAiGp.png

Feb:

attachicon.gifZddM5zlVt6.png

March:

attachicon.gifwC1pjGbyi0.png

Strat was very warm overall with strong wave one.

GPH

attachicon.gifE4OTaeF0C1.png

30mb Air Temperature

attachicon.gifbaURW7S4o_.png

Cheers from Canada and hopefully we can share some of the snow this winter,

Blizzardof96

superb analysis and I totally agree with you. Now it only remains to wait for the value of the OPI index and will be fixed

Posted

Interesting nature review on the role of snow cover and Arctic sea ice in forcing recent trends to more extreme weather in the mid-latitudes. The links to stratospheric warmings is covered in brief, although being a review paper it summarises the pathways and links of Arctic change to recent mid-latitude weather extremes. This paper is very accessible (i.e. not over technical) :)

http://web.mit.edu/jlcohen/www/papers/Cohenetal_NGeo14.pdf

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Looking forward to reading all of your posts, everyone!  This has been a go-to thread for much of my understanding of SSWs. 3rd Winter with you guys and cant be more excited! 

PS: Can this thread also cater to United States folks as well? the internet knows no boundaries haha. Maybe include some updates as to what both sides of the pond can expect. 

Of course and I had better get back to lurking as I am far behind in the knowledge stakes than a great many of the contributors in here and I could seen as derailing the thread a wee bit. I will however continue reading all the reports from everyone all across the world.  :good:

Welcome aboard and please send us UK and European residents something of note this time around, we can be a jealous lot you know.  :friends:

Interesting nature review on the role of snow cover and Arctic sea in forcing recent trends to more extreme weather in the mid-latitudes. The links to stratospheric warmings is covered in brief, although being a review paper it summarises the pathways and links of Arctic change to recent mid-latitude weather extremes. This paper is very accessible (i.e. not over technical) :)

http://web.mit.edu/jlcohen/www/papers/Cohenetal_NGeo14.pdf

Saved and downloaded, Thank you Mark.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

the biggest difference from last year is that the 'jam tomorrow ' warming at the top of the strat has come down to day 10 as you illustrated. With further wave breaking likely from trop forcing, we do appear to be in quite a different place to last year.

Something looks like it will have to give wrt the winter forecasting

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Is there an archive of zonal wind flow charts in the strat? The Berlin forecasts look quite tepid but i wonder how unusual they are for the time of year.

One can historically get the averaged mean zonal winds from this site Nick to look at previous years.

http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/ann_data.html

I have been keeping an eye on this and the mean winds at 10 hPa are dropping off and this is set to filter down the strat.

• Like 4

Posted

Or if you know how, you can get the data from datasets like ECMWF or MERRA and plot it manually like I do usually.

Bluearmy if you need any specific years, tell me and I can make the vertical zonal mean plots similar to FU Berlin. :)

Edited by Recretos

Posted

Or if you know how, you can get the data from datasets like ECMWF or MERRA and plot it manually like I do usually.

Bluearmy if you need any specific years, tell me and I can make the vertical zonal mean plots similar to FU Berlin. :)

Not important R, just interested to see how unusual it is in late October to see the zonal winds dropping in intensity in the upper strat coupled with the movement of the strongest flow at the very top away from northern latitudes towards the tropics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The wave 1 activity is pretty unusual in the 35 years recorded in the Merra dataset. Only 6 years even hold a candle to 2014 with similar wave activity during October, even then not as strong as current projections on the Berlin site.

• Like 7

Posted

The wave 1 activity is pretty unusual in the 35 years recorded in the Merra dataset. Only 6 years even hold a candle to 2014 with similar wave activity during October, even then not as strong as current projections on the Berlin site.

That's the kind of stuff that's interesting to know tony.

I suspect there is some head scratching going on in Exeter regarding what lies ahead with the contrary forecast/telecons. anyone have any 'info' on how the meto strat model sees the upcoming few weeks? snowballz usually has some insight though she may not be able to divulge it.

Posted

Hi Ethan,

I would agree with much of what you have posted. The analogues that you choose are pretty much the best ones for conditions likely this winter. I think that I would be surprised to see a super cooling of the strat during December like last year with the associated Vortex Intensification as described by Lorenzo Polvani. More the case of a warmer than average early to mid winter strat as your analogues show. Pointers are really suggesting that this could lead to a GH forming early in winter. Whether or not this occurs I guess we need to keep a close eye on the stratosphere temps come November. The one thing that struck me regarding 2009/2010 winter is the wave breaking into the vortex from Greenland. Now this is not often seen or demonstrated in many papers but is almost the ideal scenario for the UK and will help the east side of the states no doubt. If you remember this winter the stratospheric vortex split from the bottom up (from 100hPa to say 10 hpa in the most extreme splits) and this is completely different from the more traditional type of split seen in a SSW which starts with wave breaking in the troposphere rebounding to the top of the strat around the 'surf zone' before propagating downwards from 1 hPa if the EP flux plays ball.

I just wonder whether we will see the Greenland type of split vortex this year.

Mind you we are already seeing the top of the strat programmed to take a wave 1 hit even before the end of October - far more encouraging than last year already is forecast at T+240 and not too shabby either.

attachicon.gifNH_TMP_1mb_240.gif

Why is it that I think that we should ignore the seasonal model forecasts this year? - they are so far out of sync with the background teleconnective analogues.

Ed

Which brought this? [see attached thumbnail] Some mouthwatering pictures to get us in the mood for the season ahead. We are now more than half way through October. Still looking like some warming is going on, but at 2hpa and 5hpa the cooling is ramping up, unfortunately, but looking good at other levels.

post-15287-0-12200900-1413648369_thumb.j

post-15287-0-15209100-1413648497_thumb.g

Edited by Frozen Britain

Posted

Is it too possible for you to show the WAF? According to Cohen, WAF will increase in years with a big SCE. Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Is it too possible for you to show the WAF? According to Cohen, WAF will increase in years with a big SCE. Thanks!

I had a look into this and hopefully Recretos can apply his dataset genius to that question.

From the Linking Siberian Snow Cover to Precursors of Strat. Variability paper, the method is described below.. The calculation begins with the anomalous 100hPa meridional heat flux. Cohen gets this via deviation from the zonal mean of the meridional component of the wind x the deviation from the zonal-mean temperature.

The values provided are then averaged per month of averaged between 40N to 80N. The measure describes poleward heatflux and also represents upwelling tropospheric wave energy into lower strat. (EP Flux)

Failing that the JMA site has improved it's chart output from previous years. Temp & Vertical component of EP Flux - graphic updated to show waves 1-3 also.

post-7292-0-07391200-1413715901_thumb.gi

A nice Time Latitude hovmoller has also appeared.

post-7292-0-69526600-1413715769_thumb.gi

And the EP Flux looks a lot clearer.

post-7292-0-97131700-1413715896_thumb.gi

• Like 7

Posted

Nobody has said anything about how good total ozone has been in the stratosphere recently. It has strong ozone for the entire run to t120.

post-15287-0-57672900-1413716567_thumb.g

post-15287-0-75526700-1413716575_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Good points Steve.

Of course we can't know if the different agencies already consider and include these in any model upgrades such as the new GFS due soon.

We have seen changes wrt the Stratosphere modelling in recent times so I would imagine forecasters would have an eye on these other factors you mention if they are on the ball.

Edit to add

Further to above this is worth a read from the MO Climate section

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/climate-services/case-studies/improving-our-near-term-climate-predictions

It seems all recent changes are being considered in their LT forecasts.That,s the impression gained on reading that.

They do suggest that lower Arctic ice levels affecting the track of the jet and that it encourages +ve ht anomalies at high latitudes thus increasing chances of Easterly winds in Winter.

Just to say though that any imo Longer term outlooks can only give a general guide on probabilities and as ever should be treated with caution.☺

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1