Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted

Well, the para GFS is starting to play around with something, which could be just a random thought. We will see generally how and when will models pick up new dynamics, which will happen eventually in mid and late December. Since the current forecasts are mainly straight-forward, it will be interesting to see which model will start to pick up on any real new dynamics and how accurate and stable. 

geopotentialheightisobar.png geopotentialheightisobar.png

Cheers.

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 3

Posted

Would that be a good location?

Thats not even a warming, let alone a good location. :)

• Like 6

Posted

Would that be a good location?

I'm guessing it would end up circling the cold area and attack from Siberia like these warmings almost always seem to do. These slight warmings at t360+ have been appearing and disappearing from the GFS for a couple of days now, the parallel seems particularly keen to start a warming in late FI. Can't take it seriously though, I think last year we found out the hard way that these stratosphere charts have their own FI threshold and that it is a lot earlier than most thought it was.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I'm guessing it would end up circling the cold area and attack from Siberia like these warmings almost always seem to do. These slight warmings at t360+ have been appearing and disappearing from the GFS for a couple of days now, the parallel seems particularly keen to start a warming in late FI. Can't take it seriously though, I think last year we found out the hard way that these stratosphere charts have their own FI threshold and that it is a lot earlier than most thought it was.

True but what I have found evident over the last few year is warmings do not just appear suddenly without any prior indication in the 168-240 range, of course they appear and disappear in GFS 300+ range and sometimes those charts project an SSW but fail to make it into the reliable timeframe and deliver one, I cant think though that when an SSW does occur, that the GFS 300+ charts wouldn't show one at least sporadically before it comes into ECM range.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

True but what I have found evident over the last few year is warmings do not just appear suddenly without any prior indication in the 168-240 range, of course they appear and disappear in GFS 300+ range and sometimes those charts project an SSW but fail to make it into the reliable timeframe and deliver one, I cant think though that when an SSW does occur, that the GFS 300+ charts wouldn't show one at least sporadically before it comes into ECM range.

Agreed! The 18z p has a warming over Eastern Europe towards the end of the run like the 12z had. 

Posted

Agreed! The 18z p has a warming over Eastern Europe towards the end of the run like the 12z had.

Now that is a good location for the UK isn't it?

Posted

Couple of posts removed this morning, please can we try to keep it on topic in here - if you have an issue with any posts hitting the report button will alert the team to them, thanks :)

• Like 3

Posted

So where are we now stratospherically with meteorological winter starting on Monday? Can we effectively write off at the first 2 weeks of December as there is no notable warming forecast where we need it in the stratosphere? Are we looking at a pattern change now away from the Sceuro ridge and Aleutian low? No planetary waves underway to affect the stratosphere down the line? How will the UK ridge downstream trough across N America impact on the stratosphere?

• Like 1

Posted

So where are we now stratospherically with meteorological winter starting on Monday? Can we effectively write off at the first 2 weeks of December as there is no notable warming forecast where we need it in the stratosphere? Are we looking at a pattern change now away from the Sceuro ridge and Aleutian low? No planetary waves underway to affect the stratosphere down the line? How will the UK ridge downstream trough across N America impact on the stratosphere?

Stay tuned...Ed (Chino) will give a usual excellent run-down of how things have developed so far this autumn and what may well develop through December either later today or this weekend...

Cheers, Matt.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

Hi..bit of an amiture here an tbh im more of a watcher but i was wondering...what the aparent el nino phenomenom on the cards this year along with the scandi block an azores high ....were these in all in place in 2010 and do you think we will have similar play this winter?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Thanks for any reply

Posted

The IMO (Icelandic Met Office) have added the PGFS to their extensive list of models. One of the parameters is a nice animation of the geopotential heights and temperature at 30hPa.

These are date cached so will need to have the date changed in the address bar.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/gsm025/2014/11/29/00/gsm025_nhem_gh30_t30.html

Screen cap for illustration.

1Rzzrid.png

• Like 7

Posted

......just like this

attachicon.gifNH_TMP_1mb_384.gif

I am honestly not trying to derail this thread in any way, but this chart is from the GFS @ 384 hours:sorry but for the last 3 weeks all the 'good' charts posted   always seem to be at either 240 hours or 384 hours and they never get any closer. Sorry again but it was the same in here last winter. I will now have my last cigarette..............

• Like 2

Posted

Well that is nonsense because the strat has just recorded record polar temperatures at 10hPa and a split lower vortex occurred - so the FI forecasts did reel in and verify.

Also I know very well that the chart I posted is at the very extremity of FI but it was linked to my previous post and was demonstrating what I expected to see and in that respect was fit for purpose.

Edit - I hope that cigarette was worth it LOL

Still puffing... So the expected FI chart  will still be there tomorrow then ? 24 hours closer though?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

Still puffing... So the expected FI chart  will still be there tomorrow then ? 24 hours closer though?

Think you've just missed the point now sling your hook as this is an extremely interesting thread!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Not necessarily - ideas at that range tend to thrown backwards and forwards until a trend is gained. The difference between this and last year is that we are expecting the warming this year ( whereas last year it was a low %age chance) and so when we see the FI charts they do not come as a surprise and are more likley to be reeled in.

Keep an eye on that MJO - that is the bullet we need to set off the pattern for the EAMT - the strat is the loaded gun.

• Like 8

Posted

Not necessarily - ideas at that range tend to thrown backwards and forwards until a trend is gained. The difference between this and last year is that we are expecting the warming this year ( whereas last year it was a low %age chance) and so when we see the FI charts they do not come as a surprise and are more likley to be reeled in.

Keep an eye on that MJO - that is the bullet we need to set off the pattern for the EAMT - the strat is the loaded gun.

So in around 10-15 days, it begins?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

So in around 10-15 days, it begins?

Not necessarily.

Posted

Thanks, we do have a lot of good signals for this winter QBO east, good snow cover in October(latitude) and a weak el nino  not to mention the OPI etc   but the overriding driver to me would be the solar cycle we are in at the moment , although on the wane I think it will still override all other background signals.