Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted

Goes without question really given the variety of charts we have all been looking at, but still worth posting these two images of wave 1 and wave 2 activity at 10hPa at 60°N...

Recently, for the time of year, wave 1 activity is clearly knocking on the door of the highest recorded really and compared with this time last year it's clearly increasing compared with decreasing and essentially in an opposite state. Equally and in contrast wave 2 activity is generally 'below average' for the time of year and as I mentioned this morning, it is there in the 'background' but not really doing anything at the moment. It's wave 1 that continues to keep the vortex under wraps, to an extent for now and no doubt that'll keep the main vortex displaced away from the pole for the time being. We all know what wave 2 can do, but for now we need to keep hoping for the wave 1 activity to continue, as no rapid increase in wave 2 is likely. I'm struggling with the mountain torque images/web page as well as the images seem persistently corrupted of late and it's difficult to read them in terms of getting an idea of whether a mountain torque event is possible for example - http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/reanalysis/aam_total/gltaum.90day.png

Cheers, Matt.

NB: Images for this brilliant site for observing actual conditions rather than forecast data... http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/ann_data.html

post-15767-0-48509600-1415287312_thumb.p

post-15767-0-69415900-1415287327_thumb.p

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

liking that site a lot. Cheers Matt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Sadly, the PSD maintenance of the page on GLAAM is under review 'due to retirement.'  Really ? When someone retires, the science retires? Very strange.

Nick Schiraldi site is a good one for GWO, also includes phase composites, indicates falling momentum. . http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/clim/test_maproom.html

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/nschiral/gwo.html

The MERRA dataset is excellent, especially for comparing the projected Wave heights on each Berlin run against what actually verifies, the data as always bang up to date.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 5

The MERRA dataset is excellent, especially for comparing the projected Wave heights on each Berlin run against what actually verifies, the data as always bang up to date.

Just another quick mention for the ozonewatch site which is also part of the NASA MERRA set-up - as well as ozone (obviously) and some duplicated data there are some other metrics such as vorticity, vortex area and 45-75°N mean zonal wind which for some reason aren't included in the main MERRA link -

http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/NH.html

• Like 1

Posted

The Canadian Warming thing still remains for me one of these long overdue mysteries. Am still not comfortable with my understanding of how they are classed among other displacement, split events, or even 'when' they get labelled a Canadian warming versus a displacement. Still from the archive found this analog of November CW years based on the Berlin data table, which looks like we are heading to Canada this November.

post-7292-0-82588400-1415312292_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-11408900-1415313094_thumb.pn

post-7292-0-87193700-1415312269_thumb.gi

Good further tweet action Matt on the GWO and caveats for use of the site linked earlier beyond day 7 re: ensemble smoothing.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2

Posted

I see the GFS is forecasting a split vortex at the end of the run - nothing dull this year - whatever the correct terminology, I'll just say it looks like the 'kitchen sink' is included this year. It's all happening up there and very early in the season too.

bs3x3vO.gif

• Like 6

Posted

I see the GFS is forecasting a split vortex at the end of the run - nothing dull this year - whatever the correct terminology, I'll just say it looks like the 'kitchen sink' is included this year. It's all happening up there and very early in the season too.

bs3x3vO.gif

The 0z GFS has taken a step back with a more organised vortex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Parallel looks good although cannot see vortex although Recretos will probably post it in his graphics later.

gfsnh-10-384.png?0

Warming continues to come into range of ECM though, we will have to wait and see whether it disrupts the vortex or not.

ecmwf10f240.gif

Saw that wave one chart and was going to post it at 5.45am but my connection was rubbish and fell asleep again!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Happy with that, thanks Matt. Is there any indication that the lower vortex is put under any wave 2 stress at any time? That looks like classic wave 1 Canadian type warming - one that is severe enough to pressure the vortex, but not displace totally (so no mean wind reversal at 10hPa)

Oh and to edit the scale needs increasing as the warming could be a lot better than the present scale shows!

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 2

Posted

Ed...

Let me know what specific charts would highlight that and I'll see what I can find.

Matt.

• Like 1

Posted

Ed...

Let me know what specific charts would highlight that and I'll see what I can find.

Matt.

Cheers. Ensemble options for lower strat from 100 to possibly 30hpa to see if trop wave 2 activity is penetrating into lower strat and creating split especially Greenland Plateau based. 

(Edit  from T+240 onwards)

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Yes we should - my discussion always contains a lot of self caution, but the evidence is strong that we will see that disrupted trop vortex -  I would term the November outlook as a modified high SAI November outlook. Note that the forecast anomaly charts have 3 of the requirements: - Atlantic trough towards the UK, Aleutian trough and Scandi/Russian positive anomaly.

So what northern hemispheric pattern would we have ideally like to have seen this month as opposed to the 3 requirements you point out that we have now?

What setup would give us an Atlantic/Pacific rather than Canada/Russia northern hemisphere pattern?

What do we need to see in the modelling to increase wave 2?

Edited by Frozen Britain

Posted

So what northern hemispheric pattern would we have ideally like to have seen this month as opposed to the 3 requirements you point out that we have now?

What setup would give us an Atlantic/Pacific rather than Canada/Russia northern hemisphere pattern?

What do we need to see in the modelling to increase wave 2?

No I want this set up - because of the implications in the heart of winter.

The other set up, the amber nectar, is the wave 2 trop led wave break into the strat from the Greenland plateau, but I would still rather wait for that until at least December, when the benefits will be greater.

• Like 6

Posted

The other set up, the amber nectar, is the wave 2 trop led wave break into the strat from the Greenland plateau, but I would still rather wait for that until at least December, when the benefits will be greater.

So the troughs and ridges are in the right place?

Why do you say about Atlantic/Pacific for Greenland blocking as opposed to the Canada/Russia set up that is in the modelling now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

I,m with you Chiono there is no point getting the' holy grail' now We just need to keep sseing the vortex under attack and weakening so that we can then decimate it with wave 2 trop led wave breaking during december that way we could get a really cold winter overall instead of just an early spell and not much else like 2010/11.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Is that because of what you said in the MOD thread earlier about wasting time wrt the vortex re-strengthening and could you forsee a 96-97 type winter if what you mentioned happened too early?

• Like 1

Posted

Just lost myself in the loops on this site for the last 20 minutes, the 100hPa waves first of all then the temp ones, then the PV ones.. ! 

Amazing watch.

50hPa from 26 October image attached.

post-7292-0-54606500-1415400295_thumb.gi

Loop here 

http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/arctic/ecmwf.php?im=3

After that click on the 20hPa one and check that wave fire round. Ouch !

• Like 5

Posted

In layman terms can someone explain the potential trophespheric impacts of the much mooted "wave 2" activity soon to take place? I've barely scratched the surface of what this means - and where we want it to occur!