Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted

What's the frequency of ssw events? i.e. How often do they occur? Are they relatively rare or relatively common?

Good question and one I have been trying to get answers to via little response ....If you look at this link they are very frequent, but I can't believe this can be accurate????

http://curriculum.pmartineau.webfactional.com/ssw-animations/

Edited by KTtom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good question and one I have been trying to get answers to via little response ....If you look at this link they are very frequent, but I can't believe this can be accurate????

http://curriculum.pmartineau.webfactional.com/ssw-animations/

Couple of images that give a mean representation of frequency.

post-7292-0-19109200-1419859716_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-91356600-1419859732_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Not much to add, the before mentioned GEFS Control which had an interesting trop. output, was nothing special strat wise.

geopotentialheightisobar.png

GFS zonal wind profile is what you would expect. 

u-componentofwindisobari.png

Now, JMA on the other hand, has at 264h 7m/s 60N zonal mean wind at 10mb with a strong wave 2.

geopotentialheightisobar.png temperatureisobaric-in-z.png

geopotentialheightisobar.png temperatureisobaric-in-z.png

Strong wave 2 is also evident on the vertical velocity profiles with the stronger wave breaking over the Canada/Atlantic sector. 

verticalvelocitypressure.png verticalvelocitypressure.png

JMA seems over-optimistic, tho configuration-wise for the strat, it is the second best model, following ECM and leading before GFS.

So much for now.

Cheers

Edit:

Adding FNMOC Control:

geopotentialheightisobar.png temperatureisobaric-in-f.png

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

"Now, JMA on the other hand, has at 264h 7m/s 60N zonal mean wind at 10mb with a strong wave 2."

So thats an official SSW forecast from JMA then? Or have i misinterpreted that?

Nonetheless it seems JMA and ECM are both keen on this warming. 

Edited by chris55

Posted

And Andrej is back so we can proceed with a SSW!

Going away again for a few days (staying at girlfriends place), but I will try to setup the software on her computer. :)

Sorry for offtopic.

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Has to be negative Chris. 7m/s slow but not negative

And Andrej is back so we can proceed with a SSW!

Cheers Nick

Posted

Going away again for a few days (staying at girlfriends place), but I will try to setup the software on her computer. :)

Sorry for offtopic.

Women and model watching! Save for a few stars on here, never found it a great mix!

The EC 12z run consistent and the predicted 10 hpa split extremely marked with Tony's big distance between the vortices evident. Split at 30 and 50 hpa aswell though not as split as 10 hpa. Presumably that will happen with time on this model run evolution.

Don't want to get ahead of myself here but something is definitely happening.

JMA at day 8 quite crazy but not far at all from ECM at that timeframe

post-6981-0-11829500-1419880982_thumb.jp

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 9

Posted

So if we're talking about the severity of warming it seems as though we're looking at ECM, JMA and NAVGEM against the GFSOp and GFSP. What i'm unsure about is if even the first three of these models, which are forecasting this drastic rise in temperature in areas favourable to us, are actually showing either SSW or the prelude to SSW? It all seems highly unusual to have discrepancy of this sort at relatively medium term range for the strat - not sure whether that fills me with optimism or pessimism!

Posted

So if we're talking about the severity of warming it seems as though we're looking at ECM, JMA and NAVGEM against the GFSOp and GFSP. What i'm unsure about is if even the first three of these models, which are forecasting this drastic rise in temperature in areas favourable to us, are actually showing either SSW or the prelude to SSW? It all seems highly unusual to have discrepancy of this sort at relatively medium term range for the strat - not sure whether that fills me with optimism or pessimism!

This tweet from Eric Webb might be relevant in answering this:

@DTVaWeatherman @MattHugo81 @Recretos @chionomaniac 500mb last 10 days nearly verbatim Garfunkel's precursor pattern pic.twitter.com/XnXTnyjF54

B6CwjzVIcAETuHG.jpg

In short, take note of the image at the bottom right (theorised precursor pattern to an SSW) and the composite above it showing the 500mb anomaly pattern over the past 10 days

SK

Edited by snowking
  • Like 3

Posted

This tweet from Eric Webb might be relevant in answering this:

In short, take note of the image at the bottom right (theorised precursor pattern to an SSW) and the composite above it showing the 500mb anomaly pattern over the past 10 days

SK

Fascinating - thanks for this.

From what I can tell it would seem then that we could be anywhere form several days away to several weeks away (ie the last 2 process frames) from  SSW and this is at the core of the difference between the GFS and the other models. the GFS being the model which wants to delay the onset of SSW further away and the others wanting to bring it forth into a matter of days not weeks, perhaps even developing a SSW outright if the JMA is to be believed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days

Just something I noticed. There is a pattern of warming every 4-5 weeks, it seems once we get to the strat season. So  just extrapolating, the next one would be end of Jan, beginning of Feb. gaining more heat each time. 

xgxzjMe.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Bloody hell reading this thread hurts my brain, although it us compulsive reading and thanks for all the posts guys.

It doesn't seem long ago when all this stuff wasn't talked about in weather forecasting, I don't remember anyone mentioning MJO,s SSW or Pacific ridges in 1979, we just had some very cold easterlies and it snowed!

Life is so complicated these days.

Andy

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

CMA also in there not as strong as the others but not like the GFS

cmanh-10-240.png?12

NCMRWF

ncmrwfnh-10-240.png?old

GFS looking very much on its own of shifting it east then back west.

Posted

Just something I noticed. There is a pattern of warming every 4-5 weeks, it seems once we get to the strat season. So  just extrapolating, the next one would be end of Jan, beginning of Feb. gaining more heat each time. 

xgxzjMe.jpg

Trouble is a trend without a theory is just data mining potentially.  Still has not stopped the masses in the financial worlds believe in chartism.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days

Trouble is a trend without a theory is just data mining potentially.  Still has not stopped the masses in the financial worlds believe in chartism.

Makes me think the signal is MJO related. 

• Like 1

Posted

Wave 1 has produced much higher temps at the 1 hPa level than forecasted

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/winterdiagnostics/index.html

Dec 27th. 25C, Dec 28th 35C and Dec 29th 35C.

Would be good to see the same result for wave 2.

Up the 192 hours the split and elongation of PV is there for all level before forecasted to rejoin.

So far so good and good things to come

• Like 2

Yesterday's GEOS was within a whisker of an SSW by day 10 with reversed flow at roughly 7mb and above at 60°N - 

post-2779-0-39093100-1419940331_thumb.pn

This is a broad area of reversed flow at many latitudes, not just confined to near the pole as has been seen so far with the forecast split (and seen in earlier stages of this run).

Interesting are the charts for the 1mb / 1800K levels which gives a different option. In comparison to lower levels where the initial wave 1 becomes wave 2, the wave breaking strips off so much vorticity that the original Asian geopotential heights are reduced by mixing and the secondary Atlantic height rise becomes a wave 1 from the opposite side.

The result is more of a displacement than a split, shown nicely in the animation - http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/arctic/anim_EPV_1800.html

Index of GEOS plots - http://acdb-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/arctic/index.html

• Like 4

Posted

In order to better understand the mechanism of the stratospheric warming, I have made a sequence of this mornings EC Wave 2 (geopotential) forecasts (+24/48/96/144/198/240):

post-22897-0-25989000-1419946191_thumb.p

post-22897-0-47683300-1419946211_thumb.ppost-22897-0-64543000-1419946237_thumb.ppost-22897-0-60322300-1419946265_thumb.ppost-22897-0-57234200-1419946293_thumb.ppost-22897-0-40127000-1419946309_thumb.p

It is obvious that the warming reaches its peak in about one week.

Before that I notice a warming in the upper troposphere that lifts into the stratosphere.and consequentily joins with the initial upper stratosphere warming.

I assume this is the process of wave breaking, that I often read about on this forum.

(The troposphere geopotenial heights are driven by a (shallow) Atlantic Rossby wave.)

Edited by Paul123

Posted

Yesterday's run Paul (the charts are duplicated on today's supposed data for yesterday's 12z)

But I doubt much changed on the wave forecasts

Okay, thank you.

The point is that given the driving forces of the wave 2, the stratospheric forecasts quite a lot depend on the tropospheric output, more than usually appears to be the case.

There is still quite a lot uncentainty in the strat. progs.

No way clear, the size of the coming (ongoing) warming. 

Edited by Paul123