Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Later GFS frames suggesting wave 1 vortex displacement towards the Atlantic side.

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20141113/12/360/npst30.png

It looks like we have a period of westerlies to get through before any further wave 2 activity could change things.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Not sure then ? :blink2:

Isn't there a lag of a few weeks generally from what I have gathered before the zonal winds change?! Could be wrong, I'm sure the knowledgable folk could help with this one.

Edited by Mark N

Posted

No updates this morning regarding the strat? Hmmm something might be afoot!! Hopefully continue with a strong warming and wave 2 attack when matt and the other guys update us! !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Warmth

No updates this morning regarding the strat? Hmmm something might be afoot!! Hopefully continue with a strong warming and wave 2 attack when matt and the other guys update us! !

I think it was looking from the runs last night that a warming was less likely ?

Posted

Isn't there a lag of a few weeks generally from what I have gathered before the zonal winds change?! Could be wrong, I'm sure the knowledgable folk could help with this one.

I think the lag time is around 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Have to agree with SSI, and agree enough that I too will comment and not just 'like' the post. This is almost sacred ground,and there are question areas within the forum,and I doubt any of our members are precious enough to not answer,just keep the strat thread for Serious stuff.Even the Mod thread,as its quiet is getting silly one liners and opinions with no charts to back them up.

Edited as auto correct dislikes strat!

Edited by starstream

Posted

Great analogies there kris ( I think you would beat mike aswell. Corals have you at 6/4). I am interested by the persistance of the scandi ridge and it's feeding of trop waves into the lower strat. tbh, I just don't see it going anywhere anytime soon (that's a cue for it to suddenly disappear). I wouldn't discount a scandi high establishing in week 2 in tandem with a sharpening Atlantic trough.

• Like 6

Posted

http://web.mit.edu/jlcohen/www/papers/Cohenetal_GRL10.pdf

Has someone the SLP and WAFz, so we can compare 2009 with 2014. Thanks!

The SLP was a good match in October but has gone out of step in the first trimester of November. You can do a quick compare of other levels on the JMA link where I've used the ten day increments.

KMf8Z2j.gif891SqbO.gif

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/figures/db_hist_jun_tcc.html

• Like 3

Posted

Too bad I dont have enough time to make full plots of the Para GFS 12z, but it is enough to just say that despite it looking horrible for the trop, in the upper parts of the strat it starts a wave 3 assault on the vortex in the final FI parts. :D Pacific W1, Atlantic W2 and Indian W3.

Edit:

Oh what the hell,... Dont have the time to edit text stuff, so just for the record until the new run removes it (or not). This is 10mb 384h forecast of the parallel 12 GFS. This could be a start of a good story if it would be to materialise. Oh well, the darn FI,... Pretty much the most defined wave 3 pattern example you can find far around.

geopotentialheightisobar.png

When the time comes regarding wave 3, how much fun are you going to have working out the displacements.

It's a nice three step walloping, what the end result is for the location and form of the PV/ lobes of PV will be, is the best part

Edited by KyleHenry

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hey all, first post from across the pond... The tropospheric pattern causing a split in the short term is sending plenty of early season cold over here the next 10 days. Thanks once again to our -EPO regime..The Plains had some record shattering cold the last few days. Denver, CO just east of the Rocky mountain line dropped to -14F, the 2nd coldest November reading on record to -18F on Novy 29th, 1877.  Astounding stat there given climo...Seems like you folks will have to wait until the bigger shakeup of the vortex occurs as it seems to want to settle over Greenland. The wave activity is fantastic though early on.

Here are some strat images for you courtesy of the EPS from last night.

attachicon.gif11-14 strat forecasts.PNG

Looks like secondary warming forming out of Europe late in the 11-15 day

Hi USWX23 and welcome to the forum. Always great to have input from overseas mets.

Thanks for the ECM strat ens images

Interesting that the wave 2 warming is so pronounced post day 10 - it was suggested by the Berlin charts this morning. Strange that I looked at quite a few GFS runs earlier today and no significant dual warming seemed to be modeled post day 10.

If the wave 2 is prolonged enough then we may benefit this side of the Atlantic - but by that time the US may be sick of a cold pattern, 'cos it would have to hang around  for a very long time!

Posted

http://web.mit.edu/jlcohen/www/papers/CohenandJones_JC12.pdf

Well SWesterlies is just what we see 14-7 days before a SSW, according to this research by Judah Cohen. It all suits right well. High pressure in eastern Europe, low pressure near Alaska. So tropospherically  we can expect a slowly retreating Russian high to the east and  from a negative AO to a positive AO.

Hi sebastiaan. I meant to say but forgot after seeing this post that we would see a positive NAO following the increase in WAF and a similar trop pattern regardless of whether we achieved an SSW or not, it was just that this time I thought that the forecast warming and split would not lead to an early SSW. I still favour that later in the season.

• Like 2

Posted

Just to add that it appears that the Wave Activity Flux is forecast to drop off again by the end of the month. The Siberian high will need to reform over a more favourable location for this to increase again.

One can see that looking at the 11-15 day NAEFS that the negative height anomaly over Siberia precludes any favourable WAF.

post-4523-0-86872000-1415998894_thumb.gi

The latest AER blog reduces the likelihood of an early SSW as a result.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

• Like 4

Posted

BA describes the net effect of these moderate warnings and wave breaks very well ^^^

This is the time of year when the stratosphere is naturally cooling and a single vortex grows in intensity and becomes more compact. To me these moderate warming etc are as important (maybe even more so) as a full on SSW type later on in the winter. Stopping the vortex getting to its dominant and inpenitrable stage through its natural maturity period leaves it weaker at the core and far more suscepitible thereafter.

Of course there always lies the possibility of deep Strat cooling period later on but with us in a strong easterly QBO phase I would fancy our chances of having a winter full of "guess where the pieces of vortex/energy are going to end up". This is what makes winter 14/15 a completely different entity to 13/14.

I did notice yesterday's ECM had the lowest zonal wind speed forecast yet at 10mb/60n, still a way off reversing and probably unlikely to but as above, it all helps!

• Like 8