Sign in to follow this  
knocker

Cats - BBC 2

Being a cat lover(unfortunately I've owned my last cat) I decided to watch part one of the documentary on cats last night Cat Watch: the New Horizon Experiment.

It was fascinating and I now know why cats sit with their mouth open in that rather peculiar manner. It's all down to the Jacobson's Organ.

I could rabbit on but if you are interested and love cats it's well worth watching.

My cat kept reacting to the TV whilst this was on!

Missed it! :(  I do have a book about cats, but my cat seems to defy all normal cat behavouir, plainly speaking........she's nuts!

Watching these extremely interesting programmes I was reminded, as if I needed reminding, how much I miss having a cat around.

Watching these extremely interesting programmes I was reminded, as if I needed reminding, how much I miss having a cat around.

Lovely animals in my opinion and very good companions too! Anything that purrs gets my vote!

Lovely animals in my opinion and very good companions too! Anything that purrs gets my vote!

Good to see you are a loyalist.

Missed it! :(  I do have a book about cats, but my cat seems to defy all normal cat behavouir, plainly speaking........she's nuts!

Being repeated again next week and on iPlayer for the next four weeks.

Unfortunately I did not see the programme, but in the past we have had a couple of cats. previously I was not a cat lover, but having had them I grew to become fond of them and was quite upset when they had to be put to sleep to avoid further suffering when they reached quite a grand old age for cats.

The first one we had was a ginger one and being very imaginative we called him Ginger. He really enjoyed car rides and he used to run to meet us and jump in our car when we returned home from a day out. Living on a housing estate he could hear our car from some distance and would run quite a way in order to jump in.

One thing that happened was really quite wonderful. Ginger was absolutely terrified of the dustman. He did not like the noise of their cart when it stopped outside of our house and for some inexplicable reason would run low bodied and hide behind our fridge. Shortly after we had our youngest son, my wife was out n the garden hanging out the washing and James was on the kitchen floor in his carrycot with his cat net on, so that she could hear him if he started to cry. Whilst she was outside the dustmen arrived. On her arrival back indoors, having completed her task and with the noisy dustmen still outside she noticed that Ginger was sitting in front of the carrycot, shaking and looking frightened, but there to protect our baby. I can think of no other explanation for Gingers behavior.

Our second cat Barmby bought for our youngest son we named  after the former Tottenham player. She was a very sweet cat and enjoyed sitting on laps. 

She was also very aware of what was going on around her and one day our middle son unaware to my wife who was preparing lunch in the kitchen was suffering a fit. Our cat kept coming into the kitchen and hustling her until she went into the lounge where our son was on the floor. It could well be that she saved his life by her actions.

Kind Regards

Dave

Edited by claret047

Cats are fine members of the family, they adopt you not the other way round and if they feel OK will live with you and join the litter, these programs have highlighted that.

As a family growing up we always had cats in my  lifetime, only been the last 15 years I have not and miss them much.

They are independant and need you to work for them as much as they for you, always had "working" cats, great for ratting in the duck and chicken runs/sheds, they would sleep amoung the fowl and they would be fine with it too, never had any issues there.

Had one cat that used to walk with us to the pub, wait outside and walk home again with us later.