Sign in to follow this  
Jax

Death of the 'SuperMarket'?

Is it the end for the large big monster supermarkets? and now the age of discounters and smaller stores?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29442383

Times have changed and think people and families no longer need to make a BIG shop each month, better to buy little and often, means you get more fresh produce and are likely to throw away less.

As for the changing demographic of how people live, good point made on there being more single people, so offers to buy more are fast becoming unwanted and better to just reduce the unit price I would have thought?

Edited by Jax

Is it the end for the large big monster supermarkets? and now the age of discounters and smaller stores?

Times have changed and think people and families no longer need to make a BIG shop each month, better to buy little and often, means you get more fresh produce and are likely to throw away less.

As for the changing demographic of how people live, good point made on there being more single people, so offers to buy more are fast becoming unwanted and better to just reduce the unit price I would have thought?

The supermarkets will adapt to the challenges they face, they may not keep their current form but they should all be ok, at worst one of the big four will go belly up and if so it'll probs be Morrison's.

The supermarkets will adapt to the challenges they face, they may not keep their current form but they should all be ok, at worst one of the big four will go belly up and if so it'll probs be Morrison's.

We used to have a Budgens in town, they were quite good, they are managed as independants and so can source their own goods locally, the big four seem to be screwing down the suppliers (like farmers) for price, milk has come back to recent contention, as the global market price for that has dropped, yet over 80% of UK produced milk is sold in the UK, so how can a global price be good?  Whilst I like paying £1 for four pints I would not grumble too much if they went up 10-15p and was passed back to the dairy farmers (little hope of that though).

The report also quotes one analyst as saying they (like Woolworths) expect one of the big for to fail.

It's the smaller tesco stores where prices are higher compared to their big stores so hope not.

We shop at Sains for some things and aldi for others.

Goods like toileteries, cleaning prods and the like go to wilkos or poundland or savers - much cheaper than supermarkets

Don't really agree with this. While shoppers are a little more promiscuous, they still heavily favour convenience over value and will go to a Tesco Extra over the cheap market.

We do a big shop once a week. Surely stuff is gone off if you only do it once a month? Can't say I've noticed a reduction in the amount of shoppers I see, but I think what's more likely happening is that many who shopped at the Big Four have converted to Lidl and Aldi.

When supermarkets have special offers on brands, which is on a weekly basis, it actually works out the same as shopping in a discount store, so i never bother with Lidl etc!

Edited by lassie23

The days of massive stores are numbered and the rush of the big four into home shopping is just speeding this up.

Add to this, the increase in easier to reach and easier to shop in smaller stores and I think that the next deade will see many of these huge stores turned into multiple retail units or even closed completely.

Like the "malls" in the US have faded, the big supermarkets here are fading, whilst still popular their use I think it tailing off now, more people moving to convience stores, they may cost more but people tend to buy what they need, less waste in doing that, little and often shopping.  I do that already.

Hmmm...You may be correct with the Morrison's thing Catch.   My local M'sons website has a questionnaire asking in one word how I would feel if it closed.  How often did I shop, what did I buy etc.  Might be to do with a new Aldi being built there though.

Edited by Blitzen

Hmmm...You may be correct with the Morrison's thing Catch.   My local M'sons website has a questionnaire asking in one word how I would feel if it closed.   Might be to do with a new Aldi being built there though.

Morrisions is slowly turning into a discount store!

Morrisions is slowly turning into a discount store!

Think they need to "quickly" turn into one to still be trading in a few years time.

The problem I've found is that the bigger the store, the less of the time in there i am actually shopping with the rest spent wondering why milk and bread are located in different counties.

Follow that with needing a bus to get to the far end of the car park, a thirty minute wait to get of it and still going home minus the things that even an OS map couldn't find and the smaller stores suddenly seem better.

The problem I've found is that the bigger the store, the less of the time in there i am actually shopping with the rest spent wondering why milk and bread are located in different counties.

Follow that with needing a bus to get to the far end of the car park, a thirty minute wait to get of it and still going home minus the things that even an OS map couldn't find and the smaller stores suddenly seem better.

Use GPS on your phone, tap in 'milk' and it orders the taxi from aisle 4 to 478 for you.

Use GPS on your phone, tap in 'milk' and it orders the taxi from aisle 4 to 478 for you.

I couldn't get a signal because of the six acres of baked beans and 60 inch plasma tv's in the way.

I couldn't get a signal because of the six acres of baked beans and 60 inch plasma tv's in the way.

Instore WiFi, you can then chat with the people on the bus as it passes "world pasta's"

The days of massive stores are numbered and the rush of the big four into home shopping is just speeding this up.

Add to this, the increase in easier to reach and easier to shop in smaller stores and I think that the next deade will see many of these huge stores turned into multiple retail units or even closed completely.

Most online shops are done in standard supermarkets, there are only a few dark stores which supply to home delivery. I think there will be a certain amount of consolidation but the majority of big stores will still be there in a decade, unless one of the big four falls completely flat on its face.

I used to have a Tesco mobile, and the only place I couldn't get reception was inside Tesco in Port Glasgow.

Joking aside as time become more precious as we work more and relax less I can see the thought of fighting through a big store being of less interest to many just for basics and the rise of the smaller store would grow from that.

Most online shops are done in standard supermarkets, there are only a few dark stores which supply to home delivery. I think there will be a certain amount of consolidation but the majority of big stores will still be there in a decade, unless one of the big four falls completely flat on its face.

I used to have a Tesco mobile, and the only place I couldn't get reception was inside Tesco in Port Glasgow.

Personally I've never really seen the appeal of home delivery although for those who lead busy lives or those who don't have a store locally it certainly has it's advantages.

What it does though is give the job of transporting the weekly shop to others and that means the local smaller store usually stocks everything else needed.

Once things for sure though, looking at the volume of home shopping vehicles running about, there is a big requirement for it.

I am buying more local produce these days and I look at the ethical side and food miles too and always buy what I can from the UK now.

Increasing numbers of single people is likely to be a factor.  I have often had people tell me that infrequent bulk buying in supermarkets saves a lot of money relative to frequent purchases at the corner shop and having dinners at subsidised workplace restaurants, but while this may well hold true for households that cook dinners for upwards of a few people, the portions and prices at supermarkets tend to be tailored mainly for the benefit of the traditional family of four, and thus a single person will find it harder to save a significant amount of money through infrequent bulk buying.  I know that when I was living on my own and buying in bulk, a common problem was having to either store a lot of stuff away for long periods, or be tempted to eat too much of it too quickly and put on weight, and also wasting more food.

However, the big supermarkets have their plus points so I wouldn't wish them away- what we really need is balance, and the current trend is probably in the right direction for this, rather than posing a serious threat to the long-term viability of supermarkets.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Increasing numbers of single people is likely to be a factor.  I have often had people tell me that infrequent bulk buying in supermarkets saves a lot of money relative to frequent purchases at the corner shop and having dinners at subsidised workplace restaurants, but while this may well hold true for households that cook dinners for upwards of a few people, the portions and prices at supermarkets tend to be tailored mainly for the benefit of the traditional family of four, and thus a single person will find it harder to save a significant amount of money through infrequent bulk buying.  I know that when I was living on my own and buying in bulk, a common problem was having to either store a lot of stuff away for long periods, or be tempted to eat too much of it too quickly and put on weight, and also wasting more food.

However, the big supermarkets have their plus points so I wouldn't wish them away- what we really need is balance, and the current trend is probably in the right direction for this, rather than posing a serious threat to the long-term viability of supermarkets.

It'll depend what you're buying, anyone will save by buying products with a long shelf life or non-food items at a supermarket (assuming that they shop carefully). You're right about the food items, single people are not catered for properly. It's fine saying that you can buy a pack of chicken and freeze half of it, but it's not fresh food once it's frozen and the quality & nutritional value suffers.

I'm not sure that the supermarkets will move completely away from big box stores, the consumer wouldn't be happy as prices would inevitably rise if all big stores closed and were replaced by a larger number of smaller stores. They might simply stop opening more huge stores and consolidate with the ones they do have.

Like the "malls" in the US have faded, the big supermarkets here are fading, whilst still popular their use I think it tailing off now, more people moving to convience stores, they may cost more but people tend to buy what they need, less waste in doing that, little and often shopping.  I do that already.

Malls in the US have faded?

I take it they haven't by this comment? :)

I take it they haven't by this comment? :)

Cannot find the link at this point but a while back was reading a good article on dead and closed malls (not just in the USA) where their decline were terminal, why I said faded as in many areas it seems they are no longer quite what they used to be, in the well off urban areas that may still not be the case but many others are not doing so well.  A mall is a big shop at the end of the day playing home to smaller ones inside, both cost money to run.