Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms Autumn 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the Low is little further South, Plenty of time for further adjustments..

nmmuk-3-33-0.png?20-13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

crikey never realised how bad our light polution is around here. Though we are moving to led street lights to ease it but think two refineries big chunk.

any chance showing it further on please Mapantz would love to see if those red winds maintain to our location. we are the bright blob up from the wash east coast if you not sure location.

Around 6am:

post-15177-0-86180500-1413805084_thumb.p

Around midday:

post-15177-0-91281200-1413805141_thumb.p

Around 6pm:

post-15177-0-85664000-1413805208_thumb.p

Around midnight:

post-15177-0-56628900-1413805262_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted

thanks Mapantz midnight could be interesting looking at that.  All I can say glad winds are away from the coast could been bad for coastal flooding.  Not good for the continent though Netherlands well equipped.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

It seems to be upgrading slightly every time the charts update. Is it just me??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Is it me, or does anyone else see North Sea storm surge written all over this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Is it me, or does anyone else see North Sea storm surge written all over this?

Not just you, was thinking it was alright yesterday when the models were moving the storm north, now it's heading straight down the north sea into Europe again. The wind direction will send the biggest problem into The Netherlands though I think.

Posted

Not just you, was thinking it was alright yesterday when the models were moving the storm north, now it's heading straight down the north sea into Europe again. The wind direction will send the biggest problem into The Netherlands though I think.

Indeed, getting quite concerning now! A slightly more northerly element to the winds and a little bit more of a kink to that low could place East Anglia and Kent in danger. A trip to the wash might be worth it for me, kings Lynn area perhaps!

Up to a 8-9m swell in the North Sea, 5-6m off the Netherlands. Doesn't look too bad for E England.

nww3-0-42_tst1.png  nww3-0-48_hrl0.pngnww3fr-0-48.png

Wind gusts for the Netherlands, looks pretty nasty! Again, doesn't look too bad for E England, not the right wind direction.

nmmde-11-48-0_aze2.pngnmmuk-11-42-0_xon9.png

Strongest winds and highest seas for us on Western coasts

nmmuk-11-20-0_ufq6.png

Looking at these charts I imagine the Dutch will be keeping an eye this system

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 2

Very windy for most places tonight with a lot of rain on its way as well,

Monday 9pm - During the evening over Ireland and Western parts of Scotland will see gusts of 50 to 60mph. Rain starts to push in over Northern Ireland and Western parts of Scotland but its not expected to be heavy.

post-6686-0-41081200-1413810852_thumb.pn

Tuesday 12am to 3am - Most parts of the UK will be windy with gusts of 35 to 45mph. Ireland, Wales, Northern England and Western Scotland will see the highest gusts of 50 to 65mph and some exposed area's may see 70mph. The rain becomes heavy at 12am over Western Scotland and Northern Ireland and it will start to move across the rest of Scotland and down into Northern England and Wales.

post-6686-0-12521500-1413811324_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-66856000-1413811330_thumb.pn

Tuesday 6am to 12pm - The wind will change to a North Westerly direction and give high gusts over Western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and most of England. Gusts will range from 40 to 60mph for most places but Western Scotland could see 65 to 70mph gusts. In the morning the rain will be over Northern England and Scotland but it should move away as the morning progresses and places start to dry up but anywhere is still at risk of seeing some showers. In the morning and early afternoon a swell height of 22 to 26ft will be to the West coasts of Scotland and Northern Ireland giving very rough sea conditions there.

post-6686-0-43533300-1413811795_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-44702800-1413811803_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-36341100-1413811825_thumb.pn

Tuesday 12pm to 12am Wednesday - During Tuesday afternoon over Scotland and Northern England will see the highest gusts of 50 to 60mph but some high ground parts could see higher gusts. By the evening the Eastern side of the UK gets 50 to 60mph gusts while the rest of the UK gets 40 to 50mph. During the evening and into the night the wind will stay strong in the Eastern parts of the UK but the wind should lower with gusts now around 40 to 50mph. By midnight the wind speeds continue to drop down. During Tuesday afternoon and the evening some wintry showers are likely over the Scottish Highlands. During the early hours of Wednesday morning a swell of 24 to 28ft will be on the Eastern side of the UK this could give some flooding for the Eastern coasts as it has done so in the past so it is something to keep a watch on.

post-6686-0-48098700-1413812071_thumb.pn

post-6686-0-33413700-1413812369_thumb.pn

• Like 7

Posted

9th November 2007 was not much different to this coming up. Winds back then were in a very similar direction to the projected winds shown with this system too. Think a close eye needs to be kept on this situation.

Posted

looks like it going to be fun here.  All I hope is don't destroy spurn point it is the only thing stopping north sea getting at us

just noticed the weekend another strong winds hitting uk followed by next Tuesday another hit with strong winds.  UK not going get much recovery.

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated warning

Issued at: 1626 on Mon 20 Oct 2014

Valid from: 0010 on Tue 21 Oct 2014

Valid to: 1800 on Tue 21 Oct 2014

Gales, and more locally severe gales, are expected to affect much of the country on Tuesday. Whilst Monday night will see wet and windy conditions sweeping eastwards, the strongest winds are expected to occur after the rain clears and winds veer northwesterly through Tuesday morning. Gusts exceeding 55 mph are likely inland, with 60 to 70 mph gusts in some exposed coastal areas in the west and possibly to around 80 mph around coasts in northern Scotland.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel and possible damage to trees. Difficult driving conditions will result, perhaps exacerbated by surface water and spray in places. This is a further update of the warning first issued on Saturday, now including central areas of Scotland, where latest evidence suggests an increased risk of localised disruption.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

The remains of Hurricane Gonzalo are running across the Atlantic, reaching the UK on Monday night, bringing a period of strong winds to the UK. The strongest winds are expected on Tuesday as the low pressure clears eastwards; some uncertainty remains in peak windspeeds but there remains the potential for disruption to travel, especially as the strongest winds coincide with the morning rush hour in places. Fallen leaves impeding drainage increases the risk of surface water affecting roads, while some damage to trees is possible, given that many are still in full leaf.

Regions with the warning

Central, Tayside & Fife

East Midlands

East of England

Grampian

Highlands & Eilean Siar

London & South East England

North East England

North West England

Northern Ireland

Orkney & Shetland

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

South West England

Strathclyde

Wales

West Midlands

Yorkshire & Humber

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map

Posted

Quite surprised at the lack of interest on this topic maybe because it's not down south ? Paul Hudson gave a warning out for yorkshire for dangerous winds

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, snow

Quite surprised at the lack of interest on this topic maybe because it's not down south ? Paul Hudson gave a warning out for yorkshire for dangerous winds

Might be because London wont be affected

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well after a series of downgrades we're now back on the upgrade path. Guess we have to wait until tomorrow to find out what really happens. GFS has winds generally less than the Met office. For our region winds upper forties enough to blow our wheelie away unless the bin men get here quick enough. Going to be nice in the north sea tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

I vouch with that - we've not had any stormy period of weather for a while, the forecast is certainly not set in stone, could cause coastal flooding, I fear. Some disruption looking likely, not widespread but the threat is there, we will all get a feel of Gonzalo some more than others...
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't think the lack of Southern potential is the reason, I think Bawbag was talked about a lot despite it being more of a Northern event. I think a lot of people I know don't raise an eyebrow anymore because of the constant scaremongering by the Express et al, so weather warnings just seem to go over people's heads now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Interest from me and I'm not in the warning zone. :D

I'm hoping for the sequel to "OMG! TRAMPOLINE" tomorrow.

yes, remember that vid well!........I've already taken the precaution of dismantling the trampoline in the back garden.....as we're on top of a westward facing escarpment we certainly do feel the brunt of westerly/north westerly gales here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Nothing of that foul fiend Gonzalo here in Dijon. We have had a couple of rumbles of thunder here this evening, though, as the rain arrived...a lovely day with a max of 23c even with the clouds!