Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Event (rain) 3 - 4th October

PlantPot

Posted

Has been raining now for 22 hours with about 80mm accumulation - and still raining very heavy. Will be interesting to see the river later today, it has been exceptionally low.

near Kelso

Scottish Borders

Posted

Just moderate rain here for the last 3 hours and soon clearing. Nothing major despite the local forecast bigging it up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

26.5mm of rain for Cork yesterday, not an exceptional daily total, but impressive compared to the 19.7mm total for month of September. Looks to be plenty more over the next few days too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nothing special down here. Bit of rain and breeze overnight and earlier this morning and now clearing up from the west. Big hype over nothing really.

• Like 1

Posted

Big hype over nothing really.

As usual. Getting to something and a sign o' the times when a perfectly ordinary 'event' is made out to be anything but.

Posted

it feels like a big event cos we've had bland rubbish for weeks

Edited by Tony27
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just 5.1 mm recorded here as the front weakened considerably on its' journey east. Perhaps tomorrow's will bring more.

Posted

As usual. Getting to something and a sign o' the times when a perfectly ordinary 'event' is made out to be anything but.

May be I should have noted it as a 'minor' event, however I do believe it to be an event of note. 88mm in 24 hours is a lot of rain in this part of the world.  Although I don't have records of rolling 24 hour periods, our wettest calender day since my records began was 61mm and that was 5 years ago.  So a day of 56mm followed by a morning  of 32mm was indeed wet.

Anyway, what effect did all this rain have on my local river - by chance I had taken the first picture the day before the rain as a record of how low the water was. The second picture was a few hours after the rain had stopped, the water was still rising, but didn't rise much further. It never rises much at this point as it flows quite fast.

For a bit of fun I have attempted to put some figures on the event.
If the entire catchment area of this river had also had 88mm of rain, then that would have added up to a 100 million tons. Difficult to put a figure on the river, 42 meters wide according to google earth, it had risen by 2 mters and I guess was mowing at 12mph ,...... 450 tons per second

riverafter_6728_zpsfbf8385a.jpg

riverbefore_6734_zps280ed73b.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Nice photos plant pot! I like the autumn colours! The river looks swollen to me!

Edited by lassie23