Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

OCTOBER PATTERN INDEX (OPI) MONITORING WINTER SEASON 2014-2015

Riccardo

Posted

I am not data analyst but I would of thought filtering out a possible neutral value OPI would be valid method. After all if there is anything to the OPI it stands to reason that stronger positive or negative results would give stronger correlation and therefore we are simply filtering out possible noise. 

What evidence is there for filtering (or banding) the OPI? It is not a discrete index, and therefore the technique you suggest has no merits apart from curve fitting, which is a real bad no-no. It is possible that other indices provide evidence for step-change behaviour, but I can't find any.

Posted

Isn't there the danger of further back engineering of a product that is already based on hindcasting. We could probably filter to give something that looked plausible but would it be of value as a forecast tool?

Unfortunately, we have very limited dataset, so any sort of analysis, including mine, comes with a huge pinch of salt. Saying that, though, my analysis is good insofar as the quantity of data is available.

Posted

What evidence is there for filtering (or banding) the OPI? It is not a discrete index, and therefore the technique you suggest has no merits apart from curve fitting, which is a real bad no-no. It is possible that other indices provide evidence for step-change behaviour, but I can't find any.

I don't think Mucka necessarily is looking at curve fitting, I rather more think he is referring more to what I just posted about above - the fact that the OPI looks like a more useful tool (in terms of raw data output) in years with a figure above or below 1 or -1. I think many others have accepted that with values in between this range it is not as useful.

But on another note, some really wonderful research you have presented there and the stronger links to January, whilst not unexpected from the research I've been carrying out in recent weeks, is great to see :)

SK

• Like 1

Posted

A hypothesis is there to be proved or disproved, and the conclusion will not be available until March 1st 2015, but my expectations based upon this and many other factors are fairly high for this year.

SK

Absolutely. Bog standard statistics vs the experts. I have my prediction in for January (between 0degC and 4degC, with 95% certainty assuming the validity of the OPI) what's yours?

I don't think Mucka necessarily is looking at curve fitting, I rather more think he is referring more to what I just posted about above - the fact that the OPI looks like a more useful tool (in terms of raw data output) in years with a figure above or below 1 or -1. I think many others have accepted that with values in between this range it is not as useful.

But on another note, some really wonderful research you have presented there and the stronger links to January, whilst not unexpected from the research I've been carrying out in recent weeks, is great to see :)

SK

What evidence is there for banding apart from 'it fits' ?

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 2

Posted

Absolutely. Bog standard statistics vs the experts. I have my prediction in for January (between 0degC and 4degC, with 95% certainty) what's yours?

My expectation for January at present is somewhere around the 3-3.5c mark as an upper bound. There is the potential for this to slip a little lower, but as a nice round figure I think 3c would be where my thoughts are right now, given data from previous eQBO, El Nino years.

SK

Posted

My expectation for January at present is somewhere around the 3-3.5c mark as an upper bound. There is the potential for this to slip a little lower, but as a nice round figure I think 3c would be where my thoughts are right now, given data from previous eQBO, El Nino years.

SK

The stats support your prediction :)

• Like 1

Posted

What evidence is there for banding apart from 'it fits' ?

You're right, there is none other than the raw statistics. Unfortunately with such a small sample size the evidence is not absolutely compelling, but I am talking purely from a face value point of view, and within this the suggestion of <-1, >1 (though this could be taken down to 0.7 strictly speaking) clearly works.

Had the OPI this year finished at say -0.7, I don't think that anybody would be expecting a cold winter outright. But we can only go for now with the limited data we have, and that certainly suggests cause for optimism.

SK

• Like 2

Posted

and that certainly suggests cause for optimism.

SK

The evidence (and only just) suggests that only January would be restricted in CET value. The rest is pure chance re:OPI vs CET.

Edited by Sparkicle
  • Like 1

Posted

The evidence (and only just) suggests that only January would be restricted in CET value. The rest is pure chance re:OPI vs CET.

If you take the dataset as a whole, certainly yes.

However once again if you take the <-1, >1 stance, all winter CET's finished below/above the 71-00 average as a whole, and that is what I was trying to get at :) - which has been the suggested use of the OPI ever since Steve Murr's initial research earlier last month.

SK

• Like 2

Posted

If you take the dataset as a whole, certainly yes.

However once again if you take the <-1, >1 stance, all winter CET's finished below/above the 71-00 average as a whole, and that is what I was trying to get at :) - which has been the suggested use of the OPI ever since Steve Murr's initial research earlier last month.

SK

Which suggests a step-change, of which there is no evidence for ie curve fitting. I'll think I'll bow out now, unless someone has something to say about my analysis.

• Like 1

Posted

Which suggests a step-change, of which there is no evidence for ie curve fitting. I'll think I'll bow out now, unless someone has something to say about my analysis.

I would have thought the raw data presented in the table is the evidence - as stated before, that is making assumptions with a small sample size, which is never overly-scientific, but the evidence presented is that so far (sorry for sounding like a stuck record) every time we have seen an OPI above to below the 1/-1 range, it has resulted in an above/below average CET.

You are correct IF you include all the years in between that range there is then no correlation evident, but the point I was making (and I think we are both making the same point but with different mindsets) is that up until now the 'extreme' ends of the OPI scale result in predictable results...allegedly at least.

SK

• Like 1

Posted

Since when did Febuary stop being Winter and November start being winter?

the WMO and Met O definitions of northern hemisphere winter are quite clear, 1 December to end of February.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Absolutely... Don't mind him adding a month but he definitely ain't taking a month :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Absolutely... Don't mind him adding a month but he definitely ain't taking a month :laugh:

And as it can be the coldest one....definitely not!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Next he'll be telling us May is Summer and August is Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

To complete this for the actual winter months.

Running correlation and regression on Feb gives a correlation of 0.48. The regression line puts a -2.2 OPI (if that the final OPI figure) giving around a 2.8 +/- 1.6 (1 StDev) for a Feb CET (vs 4.3 for the 1976-2013 avg) so pretty wide range but on the cold side. 

The winter (DJF) CET Mean correlation is 0.68 actually higher than for any individual winter month, regressing forecasts that a -2.2 OPI gives  a CET 3.0 +/- 0.9.

So based on the small data set we have it would appear to be forecasting a below average winter. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. 

• Like 3

Posted

Next he'll be telling us May is Summer and August is Autumn.

My mistake: I was taking the astronomical winter (a by product of other research I am doing) insofar as NDJ being the months with the shortest days and least solar insolation. Whoops. Still, at least we now know that the November CET definitively is not reckoned upon by the OPI!

I'll redo the analysis, tomorrow, for the peculiar (UK) meteorological definition. Hopefully, it'll tally up much more, but we'll see.

Posted

I'll redo the analysis, tomorrow, for the peculiar (UK) meteorological definition.

not peculiar to UK at all, see my earlier post re definition of meteorological  winter in the northern hemisphere

• Like 4