Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

OCTOBER PATTERN INDEX (OPI) MONITORING WINTER SEASON 2014-2015

Riccardo

Posted

-2.08 on the 06z. Looks pretty much like it's gonna end up as a final figure around the -2.00 mark

What this means for winter?. Well no-one has a clue quite frankly lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

What is the opi on the 12 run?or has it been ignored!!

My mum used to say ignorance is bliss....I can't see it changing much from the last run tbh

• Like 1

Posted

Should be updated around 7:40.

It seems they have ignored the 12z. The frequency of ignored runs has certainly gone up recently.

Posted

It seems they have ignored the 12z. The frequency of ignored runs has certainly gone up recently.

Yes- it has.

Give it another couple of days and they'll probably ignore all of them....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes- it has.

Give it another couple of days and they'll probably ignore all of them....

They certainly will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The questions I have are simple. Firstly is the second half of October weighted more than the first half and if not then why not? Secondly, what happens if we see a gradual strengthening of the PV throughout the month, followed by a raging PV during November (but still with a sig -ve OPI figure)? Looks like we could be in this situation this year. Could it be this exact situation which leads to the small % of years where the OPI and winter AO don't correlate very well?

The view that I've come around to regarding this is that October lays the foundation for the PV and the OPI measures the strength of it. On a strong foundation, with a positive OPI, the foundations are strong and the structure of the PV remains basically sound despite perhaps losing the odd brick here and there. On a weak foundation, or a negative OPI, the structure can begin to look imposing in the following November but is vulnerable to collapsing like a tree in a strong wind.  Once the foundation is weak, we still need the "wind" to test how strong the structure is, but the opportunities to benefit from it's collapse improve.

Not scientific of course....just a mind illustration for my own benefit to try and explain exactly the points you raise :) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

The view that I've come around to regarding this is that October lays the foundation for the PV and the OPI measures the strength of it. On a strong foundation, with a positive OPI, the foundations are strong and the structure of the PV remains basically sound despite perhaps losing the odd brick here and there. On a weak foundation, or a negative OPI, the structure can begin to look imposing in the following November but is vulnerable to collapsing like a tree in a strong wind.  Once the foundation is weak, we still need the "wind" to test how strong the structure is, but the opportunities to benefit from it's collapse improve.

Not scientific of course....just a mind illustration for my own benefit to try and explain exactly the points you raise :)

I think that is a good analogy and highlights the fact that the OPI index on it's own is not an indicator of either a mild or a cold Winter here in the UK, but it is likely to be a good indicator as to whether or not the Polar Vortex will become entrenched to the point where it is going to take a mammoth effort to dislodge or split it. 

This, OPI index then, might very well end up influencing other parts of the jigsaw and may be taken into account when looking at NAO forecasts, Height anomaly forecasts and LRF's. 

I hope the OPI is peer reviewed and accepted as together with other parts of the jigsaw we already have , it would give us all a little bit of extra confidence in knowing what might come to pass each Winter , but I doubt we'll ever get to the point where we can make a call more than 3-4 weeks out at the very most. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

-2.23 on the 06z, looking good!

• Like 6

Posted

So we can safely say now the final OPI figure will be the second most negative since 1976, with only 2009 being lower.

The top 5 most negative OPI years were all followed by colder than average or severely cold CET winters.

And now, we wait...

• Like 5

Posted

So we can safely say now the final OPI figure will be the second most negative since 1976, with only 2009 being lower.

The top 5 most negative OPI years were all followed by colder than average or severely cold CET winters.

And now, we wait...

wait........ For it to be probably the mildest winter on record which will blow the OPI formula right out of the water lol, and then its back to square 1.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

I think this is going to be a really interesting winter coming up and this will be a really good test for the opi, Good luck to the team, without this kind of research we would never make any advances in meteorology and our climate in general, to make comments like we will be back to square one if we end up with a mild winter are absurd as this is the whole point of the project, its how we learn.

• Like 2

Posted

I think this is going to be a really interesting winter coming up and this will be a really good test for the opi, Good luck to the team, without this kind of research we would never make any advances in meteorology and our climate in general, to make comments like we will be back to square one if we end up with a mild winter are absurd as this is the whole point of the project, its how we learn.

It's called Irony :-)

Relax

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

It's called Irony :-)

Relax

Well lets hope the OPI team get the irony ;-))

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

wait........ For it to be probably the mildest winter on record which will blow the OPI formula right out of the water lol, and then its back to square 1.

And then another weather factor someone found which may or may not affect the weather ahead..

First it was Solar Index, Then Stratospheric Warming now it's the OPI :p