Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

OCTOBER PATTERN INDEX (OPI) MONITORING WINTER SEASON 2014-2015

Riccardo

Posted

judging from tonights NOAA cpc update, we may have to wait a few more days before we see a landing zone < 0.5 spread

'SIGNIFICANT UNCERTAINTY IS EVIDENT IN THE MODEL FORECASTS OVER ALASKA AND THE  NORTH PACIFIC EVEN AT RELATIVELY EARLY LEAD TIMES.' 

fairly consistently NOAA anomaly outputs have shown a +ve area of heights of SW Alaska, not coincident with any ridge. However this may be sufficient to help prolong the fairly mobile set up looking likely on these same anomaly charts for the Atlantic and into the UK. This does NOT of course mean the winter will be mild , wet and windy. But have a look back at October last year for the ridging and +ve heights around through much of October. It may well be simple coincidence.

Posted

-2.37 this morning. Almost identical to yesterday's value following the 12Z.

Looks like the wild swings are over and we are closing in on a final figure.

Edited by radiohead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

-2.37 this morning. Almost identical to yesterday's value following the 12Z.

Looks like the wild swings are over and we are closing in on a final figure.

The last 4 values before were

I'd be wary to say we're closing in, I think once we get to +96 (27th) we can be a lot more sure of a 0.2-0.4 landing figure; but the next couple days will change a bit I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I agree that there will still be variation but I think a sub -1.5 is a near cert now.

Let's be optimistic :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

-2.4 would still be very good and the OPI is already taking into account the less favourable synoptics over the next 7 days which ais hardly FI when looking at the broad scale pattern.

If it's below -1.5 then I think a cold winter is ahead and will put my reputation on the line by telling people so, it's the time of year everyone asks me what the winter will be like!

This year the answer to that might be easier than normal.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted

Sub -2 is looking likely but far from sure at this time. Sub -1.5 is almost in the bag though I would say and as the data data shows that is all we need for fun and games come wintertime!

One thing puzzles me with the OPI, the first calculation, so is it geopotential height anomalies? In which case, why is the heading 'elypticization' not a real word I don't think but implies shape (as in egg) more than a pressure anomaly to me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Don't worry about the twists and turns running out in this thread, once we have the final value the OPI team will also go on to release the predicted wave activity..

And we're off... again !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

-2.4 would still be very good and the OPI is already taking into account the less favourable synoptics over the next 7 days which ais hardly FI when looking at the broad scale pattern.

If it's below -1.5 then I think a cold winter is ahead and will put my reputation on the line by telling people so, it's the time of year everyone asks me what the winter will be like!

This year the answer to that might be easier than normal.

Andy

You really think it's that easy?  :doh:

Posted

You really think it's that easy? :doh:

No but it would undeniably put us in a ten fold better position going into the winter than 13/14 ever did. There is no doubt that the early creation of the vortex is key to how the NH winter pans out, in general terms. If we have a vortex that is 'allowed' to grow as we head out of Autumn and into winter into its natural compact shape, history has shown how robust and difficult it is to shift and as a consequence HLB will simply not be able to form in any consequential format until the vortex is compromised and that can take until late winter in those cases. The QBO at least is easily forecastable and will be strong Easterly and likely, if not hinder, at least not aid the creation of a growing vortex as a W-QBO set up surely must do.

Same caveats as always though, all of the above does not = a cold winter for the UK as there are plenty of -AO set ups that won't bring cold to our shores but it does help load the dice that bit more. In real terms it would mean increased opportunities of cold spells throughout the winter and then we will need a bit of luck thrown in for good measure, as always.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

You really think it's that easy?  :doh:

Indeed. A feature on the current charts and one that has persisted for most of the year (August aside) is for stubborn heights over Western Europe. The OPI site's map of Europe implies (if things stay as they are) that heights over Western Europe should be significantly below average for winter (assuming I'm reading it right and the unit in the legend is DAM). So let's see how that pans out.

Edited by Yarmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

One thing puzzles me with the OPI, the first calculation, so is it geopotential height anomalies? In which case, why is the heading 'elypticization' not a real word I don't think but implies shape (as in egg) more than a pressure anomaly to me

Could be a poor translation from italian. I presume they meant a quantity like eccentricity, but perhaps not defined in exactly the same way.

Posted

No but it would undeniably put us in a ten fold better position going into the winter than 13/14 ever did. There is no doubt that the early creation of the vortex is key to how the NH winter pans out, in general terms. If we have a vortex that is 'allowed' to grow as we head out of Autumn and into winter into its natural compact shape, history has shown how robust and difficult it is to shift and as a consequence HLB will simply not be able to form in any consequential format until the vortex is compromised and that can take until late winter in those cases. The QBO at least is easily forecastable and will be strong Easterly and likely, if not hinder, at least not aid the creation of a growing vortex as a W-QBO set up surely must do.

Same caveats as always though, all of the above does not = a cold winter for the UK as there are plenty of -AO set ups that won't bring cold to our shores but it does help load the dice that bit more. In real terms it would mean increased opportunities of cold spells throughout the winter and then we will need a bit of luck thrown in for good measure, as always.

As you well know, we've had all those factors many times before, how many times have you seen snow in the last twenty years? Would you be telling all your locals that we're in for a cold Winter because of a negative number? :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Any winter forecast based on the OPI has got to be better than the formula the MetO use!

Remember their 2009/10 winter prediction lol

Had we known about the OPI in October 2009 none of us would have predicted a mild winter!

Andy

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

As you well know, we've had all those factors many times before, how many times have you seen snow in the last twenty years? Would you be telling all your locals that we're in for a cold Winter because of a negative number? :laugh:

To be fair Mapantz I cross referenced all the years with a with an OPI number greater ( more negative than minus one) and found a very good correlation

for worthwhile snowfall in Dorset, 

Posted

Excellent update again this morning based on the 0z gfs which is the least blocked output this morning. ECM looks much better with much higher pressure over the Arctic.

• Like 1

Posted

To be fair Mapantz I cross referenced all the years with a with an OPI number greater ( more negative than minus one) and found a very good correlation

for worthwhile snowfall in Dorset, 

How about from 1994 to 2009? I saw nowt until February 09.

Edit: Misread that. More negative than a minus one?

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Let's not spoil this thread by debating past Winters peeps.There are other threads for that.

The negative readings look like they are steadying between -2 and -2.5 with only about 1 week to go. 

It 's looking more and more likely it will get a good test against the raised expectancy by many of a colder than average Winter.

• Like 7

Posted

I am keen to see the index update based on the 6z as it has more blocking in the Arctic (similar to ECM in that respect). 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

I have made a simple calculation about the correlation between October's OPI and the average temperature of following winter in the 850 hPa level for a big portion of UK. (I provide the values i used in the end of this post)

So i took the October's OPI value and the following winter's average temperatures in degrees Celcius in the 850 hPa level for december+january+february, for the area that is defined by 5° W to 0° E and 50° N to 55° N (that contains most of England and Wales) and have calculated Pearson's r correlation coefficient and Kendall's tau.

The values of temperatures have been acquired from NOAA and the values for OPI from a post here.

So the calculated values between October's OPI compared to following December+January+February average temperature in 850 hPa were:

Pearson's r = 0.76

Kendall's tau = 0.55

2-sided p-value = 0.0000014

Pearson's r value is relatively high and shows that something might going on with this OPI thing.

Even more, in the Kendall's calculation, we see a smaller correlation but a very interesting p-value, since the almost zero 2-sided p-value shows that assuming(the null hypothesis) October OPI and average temperature of DJF are independent, we have an extremely small chance of obtaining this 0.55 correlation if October OPI and average temperature of DJF are independent.

So we must assume they are dependent with a +0.55 (positive) correlation.

Positiv emeans that when the value of October OPI is large(get's larger) the average temperature of DJF is large(get's larger) also and when the values of October OPI decrease, the value of average temperature of DJF decrease also.

So all in all there is something interesting with this OPI.

And it seems to suggest that a correlation with your winter's temperature lies between them. A positive OPI brings warmer winter and a negative colder. With the aforementioned correlations of course. This is NOT a strict 1 to 1 rule of course.

Interesting post however the independence tests don't really work when you have selected specific data and combined them in a particular way to match the historical series which is what has been done here.  Its not like the OPI is say a relatively simple temperature or pressure measurement at one point.