Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

OCTOBER PATTERN INDEX (OPI) MONITORING WINTER SEASON 2014-2015

Riccardo

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

This index and its calculations fascinate me with such huge swings at this stage of the month, Time for another side by side comparison to have a look at what is different.

dmPcD8E.pngdmPcD8E.png

They look pretty similar to me GF, lol.

• Like 2

Lol what a waste if time.(interitus)

Assumption flaw-

That the AO = OPI

The best correlation you could run is as follows-

1) all pos OPI years correlate V the following winter AO & all neg OPI years correlate to the following winter AO

That gives you the lowest correlation score as it includes months with very low neutral scores.

Since when has it been assumed that the AO = OPI?

The correlations I've shown are reproducible by anyone with the freely available data and with regards to the Taymyr peninsula the research has been subject of a published paper linked to two days ago in this thread - https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81637-eddy-heat-flux-over-eurasian-snow-cover/

The point is that it supports a possible link between October circulation and the following winter AO which may be measured by the OPI.

But as it is unclear exactly how the OPI is calculated it cannot be independently tested. We already know that the values appear to fit the historical data well so it is correlations of the OPI and winter AO which are the waste of time.

• Like 8

Posted

Back to where we were this time yesterday at -2.75. Let's hope it doesn't rise on the 12z.

Posted

It is indeed and I am starting to get excited!

i'm holding back for a little month because it's still not evaluated by the prof. team. But when the blocking gets in the forecast around the end of november-dec and the OPI team aproves this OPI score then i will start to get excited (and more then usual! :))

• Like 1

Posted

It is indeed and I am starting to get excited!

Only 8 days of forecasting left, get that down to 5 and we are at the business end!

• Like 4

Posted

Only 8 days of forecasting left, get that down to 5 and we are at the business end!

I would normally be more cautious, especially if a cold spell was forecasted for the UK, but as southwesterlies are forecasted then nothing can go wrong!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I have now seen Chino and Steve refer to the OPI as a hindcast. Maybe I am missing something in the meaning or something is getting lost in translation but doesn't every scientific theory uses observation and past data to formulate a theory that can hopefully make successful forecasts/predictions which will determine if it has any merit as a scientific principle?

Every theory is reverse engineered to explain the observed world and then tested for predictive accuracy isn't it?

Hindcast to me means that you modify your theory to fit new data when it was wrong.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I have now seen Chino and Steve refer to the OPI as a hindcast. Maybe I am missing something in the meaning or something is getting lost in translation but doesn't every scientific theory uses observation and past data to formulate a theory that can hopefully make successful forecasts/predictions which will determine if it has any merit as a scientific principle?

Every theory is reverse engineered to explain the observed world and then tested for predictive accuracy isn't it?

Hindcast to me means that you modify your theory to fit new data when it was wrong.

No, hindcast is using past data to test your mathematical theory. However, you have the benefit of the statistical data to build your theory - in fact you may have played around a number of times to modify your theory so that the backtest is improved. I very much doubt that the OPI team came out with their formula at the first time of asking. However, the true test comes in the forecast element.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindcast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

No, hindcast is using past data to test your mathematical theory. However, you have the benefit of the statistical data to build your theory - in fact you may have played around a number of times to modify your theory so that the backtest is improved. I very much doubt that the OPI team came out with their formula at the first time of asking. However, the true test comes in the forecast element.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindcast

Hi Chino,

Maybe this is just semantics but what is a mathematical theory built on if not past data whether that be in statistical form or observational form?

And surely the test of the theory of the October Pattern Index is whether it can forecast future patterns not explain previous ones which would be part of the development and refinement of the theory?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Has anyone managed to get a PDF of the Taymyr paper yet, everywhere I looked today it was paywalled?

Posted

Steve mentions the Eurasian index above - there is a recent paper on this that I posted in the last strat thread. Some interesting theories that relate to the solar cycle fluctuations.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/13/6275/2013/acp-13-6275-2013.pdf

• Like 3

Posted

Hi Chino,

Maybe this is just semantics but what is a mathematical theory built on if not past data whether that be in statistical form or observational form?

And surely the test of the theory of the October Pattern Index is whether it can forecast future patterns not explain previous ones which would be part of the development and refinement of the theory?

It's a complicated problem for meteorology compared with lets say a situation where you have a simple hypothesis and test it in other scientific areas.

If you developed a theory that was testing the OPI for future forecast patterns the researcher would be six feet under before the theory could be properly tested, however if you build a theory around certain historic patterns and see how that's repeated then you can still build up a good picture.

Lets take the NAO for example in western Europe, its commonly accepted that a negative NAO is linked to colder winters but that is based on our reviewing past patterns, if we don't look back then trying to develop a theory would be almost impossible. Where exactly would we start?

Now of course it maybe possible that years down the line the OPI will be viewed just as the NAO is or  the AO.

• Like 3

Posted

judging from tonights NOAA cpc update, we may have to wait a few more days before we see a landing zone < 0.5 spread

'SIGNIFICANT UNCERTAINTY IS EVIDENT IN THE MODEL FORECASTS OVER ALASKA AND THE  NORTH PACIFIC EVEN AT RELATIVELY EARLY LEAD TIMES.' 
Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

judging from tonights NOAA cpc update, we may have to wait a few more days before we see a landing zone < 0.5 spread

'SIGNIFICANT UNCERTAINTY IS EVIDENT IN THE MODEL FORECASTS OVER ALASKA AND THE  NORTH PACIFIC EVEN AT RELATIVELY EARLY LEAD TIMES.' 

Could this mean that there can be more blocking there than the models currently show?

No, hindcast is using past data to test your mathematical theory. However, you have the benefit of the statistical data to build your theory - in fact you may have played around a number of times to modify your theory so that the backtest is improved.

This is not necessarily a mistake. If the procedure is done correctly and you succeed in a high correlation of your prediciton then nothing is wrong of course and you have done a good job. But of course the question is always if you haven't ovedone it with your model and your number of inputs is larger compared to the observation and the phenomenon you want to explain. I think you(English dudes) call it overfitting or something right?

And the ultimate and perhaps only test is of course the FUTURE. If your model can explain the next new "values",- in our case the next AO-, with similar correlation as the hindcasted data, then you are ok and your model really works.

Edited by Crocodile23
  • Like 3