Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any explanation for this glow?

Weather-history

Posted

I have been taking regular night time lapses not only for weather purposes but also for anything astronomical that I may capture. I have caught some glows in the past but they have been fairly long lasting. This morning I caught another glow to the far right at about 58s but much short in duration. It seems to have occurred around 4.40am

I trimmed it and slowed it down 8 times.

Not sure what it could be?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The one in the tree line? vehicle headlights on the road side trees/bushes.

Winter History.

One would assume as the cloud base altered possibly the moon's reflection caused the event however the moon assuming this was taken on the 28th has just left 'New' phase.

As it occurred before sunrise I then assume its a solar reflection higher up in the atmosphere causing this event but my confidence is low.
The only other option as its early and the weather is cooling - slight mist at the correct height has caught a level of light pollution hence the 'Strange Glow'.
I'm not one to claim it's an unexplainable event caused by the paranormal or the 3rd kind as there is always a logical explanation to everything, it's up to us humans to calm down and think properly.

Hope this helped.
Gordon.

Posted

I have caught aircraft at night on time lapses and it basically looks like a bright shooting star going across. That looks more like a flash, also there seems to be no approach, that is to say the glow doesn't track across the sky as you would expect an aircraft would do.

Posted

Winter History.

One would assume as the cloud base altered possibly the moon's reflection caused the event however the moon assuming this was taken on the 28th has just left 'New' phase.

As it occurred before sunrise I then assume its a solar reflection higher up in the atmosphere causing this event but my confidence is low.

The only other option as its early and the weather is cooling - slight mist at the correct height has caught a level of light pollution hence the 'Strange Glow'.

I'm not one to claim it's an unexplainable event caused by the paranormal or the 3rd kind as there is always a logical explanation to everything, it's up to us humans to calm down and think properly.

Hope this helped.

Gordon.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I should have added that the camera was pointing northwestwards and the glow from my line of sight would be almost directly north. From my location in Irlam, it would appear to be above Winter Hill as that is due north of my location.

Putting aside your question, it's a great video well done.

I live in Blackpool, not far from Winter Hill and I don't think your the first to report such, I think a similar thing has been seen over Cumbria - look on the web but don't get sucked into anything beyond reasonable.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Sorry to be of no help WH, But could i ask what camera you use? As it's pretty impressive and want to set up one myself..

Posted

It's a TLC200 Pro Brinno.

Thanks, Will look it up  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Only a hunch and certainly not based on any scientific knowledge I have, but on the opposite side of Winter Hill from yourself would be Blackburn, Burnley and all places in between.

Possibly it is the urban glow from there and maybe the sudden appearance was due due a change from low level mist and fog to clearer conditions allowing the light to rise and then reflect from the upper cloud layer.

As I said, no science but directly south from my location is the the full sprawl of Greater Manchester and beyond although this is not visible due to the 1500ft mass of Rooley and Scout Moors between.

However we do get the glow from the lights but the ability to actually see it varies greatly due to weather conditions, and sometimes the light seems brighter way above the summit rather than directly on it.

Only a hunch and certainly not based on any scientific knowledge I have, but on the opposite side of Winter Hill from yourself would be Blackburn, Burnley and all places in between.

Possibly it is the urban glow from there and maybe the sudden appearance was due due a change from low level mist and fog to clearer conditions allowing the light to rise and then reflect from the upper cloud layer.

As I said, no science but directly south from my location is the the full sprawl of Greater Manchester and beyond although this is not visible due to the 1500ft mass of Rooley and Scout Moors between.

However we do get the glow from the lights but the ability to actually see it varies greatly due to weather conditions, and sometimes the light seems brighter way above the summit rather than directly on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

However we do get the glow from the lights but the ability to actually see it varies greatly due to weather conditions, and sometimes the light seems brighter way above the summit rather than directly on it.Only a hunch and certainly not based on any scientific knowledge I have, but on the opposite side of Winter Hill from yourself would be Blackburn, Burnley and all places in between.

Forget the glow, anyone know why this repeated twice lol

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi WH - if was shot in the evening I would have said Chinese lantern for the 2nd video but I'm less sure with it being early morning. Light aircraft of chopper maybe?

For the first vid - I'd say landing lights from a large jet is the most logical call.

Good quality videos btw