Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Personal Weather Record

PlantPot

Posted

I know it may sound a little unlikely that in my first week of joining the site I am claming a 'weather event', but thought I would share all the same.

For the past 4 years I have been monitoring the amount of wind that passes over our house, it is a home made device attached to the very top of the roof (spinning air vent from a van attached to a cycle computer)  I take a reading every Sunday morning.

Last week we only had 41 miles of air pass over, this being my lowest recorded week, the previous near windless week was 24/7/11 with 52 miles.   Average week is 510 miles and the record winiest week was 1982miles

We also had zero rainfall last week, this is the first entirely dry week jor just over a year (week ending Sun 21/7/13)

Edited by PlantPot
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks for letting us know, PlantPot. Just one thing - please put your location in your profile. It's always good to know where you are reporting from :)

done .... I agree, without location it realy does become entirely meaningless

Posted

Yes there has been a surprising lack of wind, before today I hadn't recorded a wind gust above 14mph in the previous 14 days.

It has really fallen calm overnight too, leading to quite a few cool minima here, which is rather unusual under a persistent easterly flow. The mean minimum so far is 10.2C, which is around a degree below the rolling 1981-2010 average for this point in the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I know it may sound a little unlikely that in my first week of joining the site I am claming a 'weather event', but thought I would share all the same.

For the past 4 years I have been monitoring the amount of wind that passes over our house, it is a home made device attached to the very top of the roof (spinning air vent from a van attached to a cycle computer)  I take a reading every Sunday morning.

Last week we only had 41 miles of air pass over, this being my lowest recorded week, the previous near windless week was 24/7/11 with 52 miles.   Average week is 510 miles and the record winiest week was 1982miles

We also had zero rainfall last week, this is the first entirely dry week jor just over a year (week ending Sun 21/7/13)

I read an article in our local paper a year or so ago about our local windfarm at Ovenden moor which said that it is 15% less windy than when it was built 20 years ago !!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

There have been a few unusually calm months in the last year or so.

July 2013 had a mean wind speed of 7.3 mph here ( 30 year average is 11.4 mph ) and was the calmest month on record.

This was beaten in June this year with a mean speed of 7.1 mph ( 30 year average is 12.0 mph ). July 2014 was also a very quiet month with a mean speed of 8.3 mph.

I was speaking with the miller from a local windmill a few weeks ago and he told me they'd lost almost 6 weeks of milling time during June and July this year due to lack of wind to turn the sails; an unprecedented length of time and a very costly one for them. 

• Like 1

Posted

Your wind speeds are quite a bit higher than mine, but the months mentioned correlate quite well.
This year September average speed is just 2.5mph so far, which must be close to the lowest month ever, and not much storminess in the offing.

Posted

That sounds like quite an ingenious setup! :) Do you have a photo of it?

Yes there has been a surprising lack of wind, before today I hadn't recorded a wind gust above 14mph in the previous 14 days.

Same here - I recorded a gust today of 14mph; the last time I recorded one that high was 30 Aug. I find it's unusual to get such a long period with no strong-ish gusts, even during calmer periods.

Edited by h2005uk

Posted

That sounds like quite an ingenious setup! :) Do you have a photo of it?

I some how don't think it is very accurate so I doubt my figures could ever be compared with anybody eleses, however I guess it can be compared with its self and previous data - keeps me amused anyway :)  and most importantly it was entirely free

windmeter_4865_zps5e64b677.jpg