Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Hello! I'm on Tour 1 this year. Sorting the VISA tomorrow. Anyone else flying from Manchester for this tour? Might be good to meet up? Really looking forward to it! Might need to look at upgrading my camera for this one!

Posted

Arron wouldn't a lightning trigger do the job as well ?

Tom

Yep it would Tom! Advantages to both I guess. With the trigger you should never miss a shot (though to me this is cheating somewhat lol!) and with the manual remote you can keep the shutter open when it's raining down bolts. I guess you can stack images too to get the same effect.

I can't say I'd fancy carrying around another camera body with a 300mm lens on it myself, Gail. Mind you, I will be behind the wheel so having just one camera in hand will be hard enough! Ian got some cracking shots with the compact camera he was trying to promote last year (samsung??) :D With today's compacts I'm sure you can probably get access to every manual setting under the sun :)

Posted

LOL I understand Arron, but thankfully the Olympus OMD range are actually quite reasonably sized and weighted. Not the big chunky lenses that Canon/Nikon produce at that focal length.  I've got a little Sony point & shoot and my Samsung phone takes a decent shot as well, but the OMD has the benefit of being weather sealed and I can also control it from my phone via wifi which will be handy for long exposure shots (have a remote trigger as well). I'll probably decide the night before I fly how much kit I'll take this time.

Posted

Ah that sounds a bit swish Gail! I actually took loads on my phone last year, probably more than with the SLR :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted

So who's starting to get excited yet ????

90 Days exactly until me and Mr M fly out to set everything up!

Its gunna fly by! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to most: the storms or the vast quantities of food I'm almost certain to consume.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

I'm really excited all ready. Keep watching storm videos n it makes me even more excited. I can't wait. 102 days remaining till I fly out

Posted

I'm really excited all ready. Keep watching storm videos n it makes me even more excited. I can't wait. 102 days remaining till I fly out

Haha I just counted the 102 days too :p

• Like 1

Posted

It's gonna be brilliant. Last years trip was fantastic. This year should be even better.

Posted

Hi Ben

There is no Long Range Weather Forecasting as such, what we do look out for is the different ENSO Cycles, Tornado season can be affected by a La Nina, El Nino, or Neutral Phase.

The actual LP Systems and Mesoscale parts of storms just cannot be worked out, the May 2013 Outbreak in Oklahoma which saw the EF5 In Moore, the EF4 the day before and the El Reno Monster, nothing was showing on any models for that time period, in fact if you had looked just the once on the 15th May you would have said to yourself, I am not looking again until the start of June, the models were that dire, these things can crop up at very short notice.

Hope this helps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

I am have slightly more than 89 days to go.if Paul has 89.  As always looking forward to the chase season. This might be daft I always enjoy getting off the plane and smelling the Texas air as you walk from the plane into the terminal, especially if its humid. YUMMY !

Second moment is arriving at the reception of the Best Western and grabbing a fresh coffee.whilst waiting patiently to be checked in. Third , getting up early on the first day and looking out over the Dallas skyline.

Oh yes

Tom  

Posted

I am have slightly more than 89 days to go.if Paul has 89.  As always looking forward to the chase season. This might be daft I always enjoy getting off the plane and smelling the Texas air as you walk from the plane into the terminal, especially if its humid. YUMMY !

Second moment is arriving at the reception of the Best Western and grabbing a fresh coffee.whilst waiting patiently to be checked in. Third , getting up early on the first day and looking out over the Dallas skyline.

Oh yes

Tom

'I'll have what she's having'

Posted

Got a slight risk over California with a risk of tornadoes today, not often you see that!

And yes, that photo just looks like a generic shopping park in a generic American town...with a nice backdrop :D

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Woo, my flight now gets into Dallas at 22:15 rather than 23:00 :)

Posted

Here's one to help pass the time away. Where abouts was this taken ?

post-20731-0-15045800-1423572113_thumb.j

Edited by AndyRoss

Posted

New Mexico 15 miles north of Roswell

Saturday 7th June 2014!

This Supercell dropped a EF0 Tornado for us as well at close range, about 400 yards away

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/140607_rpts.html

• Like 1