Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

Last year I didn't get a ticket either. Phoned up the airline n they told me I don't get my ticket till I get to the check in desks. All I needed to show was my passport n they had me down on there system. Was in n out of the check in with in 5 mins

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Last year I didn't get a ticket either. Phoned up the airline n they told me I don't get my ticket till I get to the check in desks. All I needed to show was my passport n they had me down on there system. Was in n out of the check in with in 5 mins

Yep, that's tended to be the case in the past few years. The self check-in is pretty neat, just scan your passport and that's pretty much it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Yep, that's tended to be the case in the past few years. The self check-in is pretty neat, just scan your passport and that's pretty much it!

Thats what I thought until I tried it, if you are called Smith/Jones or other some other common surnames - it will almost certainly automatically default you to the manual checkpoint.

Posted

Very strange re the above, you put your passport into the reader on a machine in Terminal 5 and then input your 6 digit reference code, surely those with other surnames of Smith and Jones don't have the same unique 6 digit reference number ?? Could be wrong but highly unlikely.

As Andy says the check in process has never taken more than 5 minutes both ends now there are no tickets and faff

Posted

Very strange re the above, you put your passport into the reader on a machine in Terminal 5 and then input your 6 digit reference code, surely those with other surnames of Smith and Jones don't have the same unique 6 digit reference number ?? Could be wrong but highly unlikely.

As Andy says the check in process has never taken more than 5 minutes both ends now there are no tickets and faff

And a lot of airlines require you to put in your passport info beforehand so they'd automatically find you from the passport number anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Hey Guys , any Nikon folks here reccomend a lightning trigger? 

Have been looking at this one currently http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer%C2%AE-Micnova-Motion-Lightning-Trigger/dp/B00S0J8FI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428851440&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+lightning+trigger

Nikon folk are on here but they will agree with me stating the lightning trigger maybe a waste of cash!  for nighttim shooting you dont need one and for daytime shooting its a matter of luck! 

most have been thrown in the bina s far as i know?

Posted

Nikon folk are on here but they will agree with me stating the lightning trigger maybe a waste of cash!  for nighttim shooting you dont need one and for daytime shooting its a matter of luck! 

most have been thrown in the bina s far as i know?

Yeah I guess I did ok in 2012 catching a few nice ones just doing numerous 5" exposures . Even remember this one I caught in 2011 with just a bridge camera on night landscape mode lol.  267807_10150295545606718_4640695_n.jpg?o

Posted

That's a beauty dub. I'm a Nikon guy but I havent got a lightning trigger. Gonna just try n capture some with some filters.

Edited by AndyR

thanks a lot thats 1 more worry crossed off my list ! ill do the steps youve told me thats a big help, thanks to others who also commented : ) 

Hi Dave 

I am travelling to Dallas with BA  but i am on a totally different tour and day 

when you booked your flight with BA your should have been issued a 6 fig and letter booking ref number I.e. 48SR7B 

• if you go on line to BA'S web site and to go manage my booking, 
  • enter the booking ref no and your last name it will bring up your flight details.
  • from there you will be able to print out the flight itinerary this is all you need(having printed form makes things a bit easier at the airport if there is any queries.  
  • when you check in online you can print out your boarding passes or use BA app to your smart phone.
  • you can also check in at the airport at the self service kiosk this is where your booking ref no comes in handy you will probably need to do this at airport on the way home anyway to print out a paper copy of the boarding pass.
  • if you haven't done so yet? Go on BA'S website under manage my booking and fill in the advanced passenger information as this is required. 
  • yes you can choose your seat but it will cost and all the better seats have gone by now i would wait to till you check-in and then you can choose your seat for free

i hope this helps 

P.s I forgot to add you will still need to go to bag drop to check-in your hold luggage which is virtually a mini check-in anyway and you will need flight details and passport this where the printed itinerary comes in handy .

Posted

Well I'm finally all sorted. First 2 nights accom now book.  Going posh at the Omni in Downtown. Esta all approved.  Segway tour of Dallas booked.  And as I've just found out comic con starts in Dallas on 29 May, think I may get a ticket to that as well. Just need to get some USD cash before the Aussie dollar nose dives again.  Will need a holiday after the holiday I think :)  Now we just need mother nature to play nice

Edited by CycloneGail
  • Like 1

Posted

Here's the phone number for the best western Irvin inn at DFW. When you arrive. Call them and they will provide you with a free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel.

(+1) 972/790-2262

Posted

With Paul making me drool with all the structure shots he has up in the other thread I thought id go back and have a look through my shots from 2012.

Heres a re-edit of a shot... may have overdone it slightly but i don't care lol 

11130235_10153216198591718_7533962043384

• Like 1

Posted

Got nearly a week off work starting tomorrow, will finally have a stab at figuring out how to use my new camera :D

Posted

Got nearly a week off work starting tomorrow, will finally have a stab at figuring out how to use my new camera :D

Good luck with that mate. You will get the hang of it. I go out every evening after work to take my practise shots

Posted

Good luck with that mate. You will get the hang of it. I go out every evening after work to take my practise shots

Well with the gorgeous weather the next couple of days I thought I might pop up the Chilterns and give my camera a go. Although from what I've been told by others, with a DSLR if I take plenty of pics I will almost certainly get some decent ones anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

You'll usually have plenty of warning before the big hail - you can normally hear it coming, and you'll be under a gas station canopy/funeral home drive in/ other shelter usually as it tends to wreck cars!

just doing advance info for british airways, had hassle with the postcode but it works if you dont leave a gap ..

http://bestwesterntexas.com/hotels/best-western-irving-inn-and-suites-at-dfw-airport BEST WESTERN Irving Inn & Suites at DFW Airport

4110 W Airport Freeway, Irving, TX 75062-5913
Phone: 972/790-2262   |   Fax: 972/986-7620   |   140 Rooms
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM   |   Check In: 3:00 PM   |  

When you arrive. Call them and they will provide you with a free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel.
(+1) 972/790-2262

so type 750625913 for the post code

im on tour 1 so im assuming the night of 8th may ( the day we fly out to texas)   http://weatherholidays.com/%C2'> have reserved us all a hotel room and i dont need to book one yes ?????

Hi all!

This one is particularly for those on tour 3, who are arriving a day early on the 29th of May, and are staying at the Best Western Irving Inn that night.

Since check out is at 11:00 the next morning, I'm wondering what are people's plans (with regards to meeting up) before the tour arrives?

Sam

doing the esta form i keep getting US Point of Contact Address Line 1 contains invalid characters.
US Destination Address Line 1 contains invalid characters.

all ive put in is

BEST WESTERN Irving Inn

whats wrong with that ? also can someone from netweather confirm the full address and phone number ? i got

BEST WESTERN Irving Inn & Suites at DFW Airport

4110 W Airport Freeway,Irving, TX 75062-5913
Phone: 972/790-2262   |   Fax: 972/986-7620   |   140 Rooms
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM   |   Check In: 3:00 PM   |  

When you arrive. Call them and they will provide you with a free shuttle service from the airport to the hotel.
(+1) 972/790-2262    off a website

but then i found a slightly different address here http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/TX/Irving-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-PLUS-DFW-Airport-Suites/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=44468%C2'> that says 5050 W John Carpenter Freeway
Irving, Texas, 75063-2399, US
Phone: 972-870-0530
Fax: 972-871-8470

help ! thanks

Posted

Ok will try and answer the above queries.

If you are coming in on the 29th May (Eg a day early) you wont have to worry about the booking for the 30th May (Travel Day) as this is already sorted by Netweather (It is the start of the tour) and we will have a good idea of wether we will be staying there for the night or bombing off Oklahoma Bound if there is a risk, but my crystal ball is not too good at 45 days ahead - Lol

With the Esta, I just put Best Western in the top line and the other lines of the address in line 2.

And you definitely want the West Airport Freeway address and not the John Carpenter one!

Line 1 should be Best Western

Line 2 should be 4110 West Airport Freeway

The postcode is 75062

Hope that helps

Edit : Actually I get what you mean now, usually guests will lounge around the pool area and we will have a handle on wether we are staying there to book the room again

Edit 2 : Why is this being written in big writing! Lol

Edited by Nick L

its ok debit cards are ok phew ..why cant they say that ?

Authorization Approved Your travel authorization has been approved and you are authorized to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. This does not guarantee admission to the United States; a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at a port of entry will have the final determination.   If necessary, you can update the following information on an approved authorization: address while in the United States and e-mail address. To access your travel authorization, you will be required to provide your application number, passport number, and birth date. If you need to change any other information on the form, you must apply for a new travel authorization.   Have a nice trip. Welcome to the United States.   You may exit this site or submit an application for another traveler at this time. discoveramerica.png To begin planning your trip to the United States today, please visit DiscoverAmerica.com, the Official Travel and Tourism website of the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has developed a new program called Automated Passport Control (APC) that expedites the entry process for eligible Visa Waiver Program international travelers by providing an automated process through CBP’s Primary Inspection area. To learn more about APC and participating airports following this link:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/automated-passport-control-apc

DHS recommends you print this screen for your records but you will not be required to present a copy of your authorization in order to travel.