Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Y'all ready for this....

"There have not been any tornadoes reported yet in March 2015. The last time this occurred was in 1969. 

2015 and 1969 are the only years in the official records since 1950 with no tornadoes in the March 1-16 period."

Saving itself????

obviously not... Moore OK yesterday

Posted

Flights Booked - check. ESTA approved - checked. Hotel booked - checked. Lightning trigger ordered - check. Just the storms to arrange now.

Chris, which trigger did you order? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Flipping heck - sat listening to the election news and they said 38 days to the election.  Must be wrong I says cos I am going on the first tour election day - I have counted it 4 times and they are right.   Only seems 5 mins since I I booked flights.

Tom  

Hi all,

Really looking forward to the trip! I'm on tour 3. Anyone else on it? Ill be staying at best western hotel night before so can meet up for a chat and drink if anyone is staying there,

Esta now sorted but Just a quick question what is everyone doing about the travel insurance? Do we need very specific travel insurance. as wanted to do a compare the market check but storm chasing is very specific so not many tell you whether its covered or not.

Cant wait till roll on end of May!! 

Thanks All!

Edited by Jonathan Kent

Posted

Hi Jonathan, check out the thread on Dogtag Travel Insurance as they cover storm chasing holidays for all you UK locals.

I'm on T3 as well and am also booked into the Best Western the night before, but I'm still trying to get 2 nights accomm downtown as am actually arriving 3 days early on 27 May to do some sightseeing in Dallas (plus my flight is almost 16hrs direct and crosses the date line so jetlag can be a bit of a mare). Only 60 days to go!!

Posted

Hi Jonathan I am also on tour 3 arriving the day before and staying at the best western.

Meeting up sounds like a good plan !

Thanks Tom

Posted

34 days until we go out and Set-Up

Looks like more risks this week albeit in unfavourable terrain as is usual in early set-ups but those guys will take the rough with the smooth. Its just nice to see the pattern change taking place moving forward.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

Only 6 weeks to go now. Only seems like it was a few months ago that I last went storm chasing. Can't believe how quick it's gone and I can't wait.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Chris, which trigger did you order? 

I ordered (and received yesterday) the Patch Master 4 in 1

http://www.pmgadgets.net/product_info.php?products_id=77

other triggers are available :)

Posted

Very active period coming up next week if the models are too be believed - Could be as many as 5 straight days chasing with probably Wed-Friday the big days as the trough ejects eastwards.

Should be some great virtual chasing and good to see this Pattern becoming established over there with Troughing to the West

Paul S

Posted

Nice Paul. I be watching online. Bet you wishes you was out there already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Good stuff, might have something to keep me entertained on night shifts!

Hi all,

I've recently nabbed the last spot on Tour 3; I'm looking forward to it!

I've been looking through some of the previous comments, specifically regarding people's travel arrangements.  I'm planning on arriving at DFW at 16:10 on 30/05, and departing at 15:30 on 10/06 (hoping to book the flights within the next day or so). Do these times seem reasonable?

All the best,

Sam

Posted

Hi Sam. Welcome aboad. This will be a trip of a life time. I'm on tours 2 and 3. Be best if you arrive a day earlier like on the 29th n book into the best western Irvin inn for the night. That way you be all fresh for the next day. The tour departs on the 30th but not sure what time tho. hope you have a great time and will see you there.

Andy

Edited by AndyR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Hi Sam

Good to have you travelling with us this year!

Arriving at 16:10 is fine, most direct flights from the UK come in around that time so you'll most likely meet fellow travellers at the airport on the way through.

For flights home, 1530 is a cutting it a little fine, if you could book a slightly later flight it gives the team more time to get you to the airport if you are chasing  a state or two away on the last chase day.  We've never failed to get anyone to the airport on time, but having a little breathing space always helps, and makes for a potentially more comfortable trip back to Dallas if there is a decent risk to play with to end the tour.

Thank you, Andy and Ian, for the warm welcome!

Looking back a few months on the forum, it seems as though my question about departing had actually already been answered.  I think someone was advised that their 15:30 flight (probably the same one) is fine. And since that flight combination was the cheapest I could find (with earliest arrival vs latest departure), I booked it, before having seen your comments! I'm a bit new to this forum thing; sorry to have missed out on your advice!

Hopefully it won't be a problem.

Thanks again,

Sam

Edited by sh.whyman

hi im booked on tour1 im flying from heathrow on British Airways on May 8th at about 1150am so if anyone else is on that flight get in contact with me and we can arrange to meet at the airport. whats best for getting to heathrow eg coach,train/taxi ??

do BA charge us for taking tripods as part of our luggage ? and do we need to put them in some sort of bag ? or do they put some label on so they know whose it is ??

if flights 1150amish what time should i try to be at heathrow by to deal with getting boarding pass etc, oh and i booked flight online..is it right that BA dont send out paper tickets ? so i just show up at a BA desk on 8th May without a ticket ????? thats worrying me i want a ticket  !! 

what clothes should i pack ? i mean is texas hot in may so shorts or i guess everyones taking some sort of rain coat to deal with being close to storms. 

ps flight cost £918 including £35 so i could choose my seat for economy ! 

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

You can get the BA app on your phone Dave and that will keep your boarding pass for you, or once you've checked in online you have the option to print your pass and carry it with you.

I either take a collapsible tripod and stick it in my hold luggage bag, or there is the option to buy a budget tripod from Walmart when you arrive, they are $30-$40 for a reasonable one if I remember correctly.

Clothing is usually shorts and t-shirts, but there can be cooler days, so a hoodie and jeans are good to have too, it's a good idea to keep a warm top in the car as the temperatures can be chilly in the cold winds in the outflow of a storm.

Posted

Ian has pretty much covered most of the questions above, info packs for the Tour 1 tourists will be going out 2-3 weeks before departure so all info will be in that pack but just in case some of you guys want to get ahead please see below.

Clothes

-----------

For the 10 day trip would take 10 T-Shirts, a few pairs of shorts, pair of Jeans, couple of shirts, warm hoodie etc - This should be ample for what you need, some nights after chasing and staying out shooting lightning we will all put in some whip money for Pizzas to be delivered to the hotel and pick a room to eat etc. Other nights are more clear cut with storms finishing at a sensible time and allowing us to eat out at a nice restaurant - If we are in Kansas, Oklahoma or Texas you are never far from an Applebys or Chillis which stay open until 1am now. If you are in the arse end of nowhere sometimes its a grab what you can from Walmart etc, it varies from trip to trip but we will eat something.

Toiletries

------------

I tend to get these when we land and seeing as we have a massive Walmart a stones throw from our Base Hotel its probably cheaper to get yer suntan lotion, deoderents, razors. shaving cream etc etc when you get stateside.

Arriving and Departing

------------------------------

Old hands and returning customers have found that arriving on the official travel day can be brutal if we need to be putting 250-300 miles behind us straight after landing so come in a day early to acclimatise, its no problem if you do come in on travel day as you can get some shut eye in the cars as they are spacious and comfortable. The Jetlag situation has always been the same for me over there, after landing at 1550 and getting through customs etc and to the hotel, after grabbing something to eat it is usually about 11pm when you are about ready to sleep (5am UK Time) I can almost guarantee on that first night you will wake up at 3am, then 5am, then 6am and usually just give in and go for coffee and breakfast at 7am. On night 2 you will probably only wake up once at 5-6am and then from there on in you are acclimatised into th US Time Zone. We ask people to be sensible about departure times for the reasons Ian stated above, if there is a big risk in say North Kansas we would appreciate the extra few hours to get everyone a chase in and back to DFW in good time, but 1530 flights seem to be just about doable as these are usually 1 stoppers and people don't have to be checked in until 1pm onwards etc.

Any other questions on what to take etc just put them in this thread as everything can and will be answered!

Regards

• Like 2

Posted

Cheers for that Paul :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

YY to a warm hoodie, I took a waterproof last year as well, because I'm a tart, but if you get wet and then stand in a cold outflow it's a bit nippy. 

Toiletries are disgustingly cheap, as are first aid kit type things, you can buy enormous tubs of ibuprofen, antihistamines, etc in wallies for a fraction of the UK price. 

If you like a beer, I'd recommend taking/picking up a bottle opener, Although Aaron can do a nifty little trick with his belt. 

You can also get lens/screen wipes in the wallies in Irving, which are very handy for getting rain/dust/fingerprints off camera gear, iPad/iPhone. Also fake beards ala duck dynasty. Which are totally excellent...

• Like 1

thanks Ian , can you kill one worry im having...British Airways are not sending me a paper ticket, i think they say an eticket is saved on their system...so i do just go to heathrow without a ticket correct ? just seems wrong to me !   thanks for other answers

Dave 

You can get the BA app on your phone Dave and that will keep your boarding pass for you, or once you've checked in online you have the option to print your pass and carry it with you.

I either take a collapsible tripod and stick it in my hold luggage bag, or there is the option to buy a budget tripod from Walmart when you arrive, they are $30-$40 for a reasonable one if I remember correctly.

Clothing is usually shorts and t-shirts, but there can be cooler days, so a hoodie and jeans are good to have too, it's a good idea to keep a warm top in the car as the temperatures can be chilly in the cold winds in the outflow of a storm.

Posted

thanks Ian , can you kill one worry im having...British Airways are not sending me a paper ticket, i think they say an eticket is saved on their system...so i do just go to heathrow without a ticket correct ? just seems wrong to me !   thanks for other answers

Dave 

I can't remember the last time I was issued with a paper ticket for a flight! As long as you have your passport and your belongings that's all you need with you at the airport :)

Posted

Hi Dave 

I am travelling to Dallas with BA  but i am on a totally different tour and day 

when you booked your flight with BA your should have been issued a 6 fig and letter booking ref number I.e. 48SR7B 

• if you go on line to BA'S web site and to go manage my booking, 
  • enter the booking ref no and your last name it will bring up your flight details.
  • from there you will be able to print out the flight itinerary this is all you need(having printed form makes things a bit easier at the airport if there is any queries.  
  • when you check in online you can print out your boarding passes or use BA app to your smart phone.
  • you can also check in at the airport at the self service kiosk this is where your booking ref no comes in handy you will probably need to do this at airport on the way home anyway to print out a paper copy of the boarding pass.
  • if you haven't done so yet? Go on BA'S website under manage my booking and fill in the advanced passenger information as this is required. 
  • yes you can choose your seat but it will cost and all the better seats have gone by now i would wait to till you check-in and then you can choose your seat for free

i hope this helps 

P.s I forgot to add you will still need to go to bag drop to check-in your hold luggage which is virtually a mini check-in anyway and you will need flight details and passport this where the printed itinerary comes in handy .

Edited by the storm fisherman