Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted

Lol dont know why the above has uploaded like that but hey ho

attachicon.gif003.JPG

Ah the craze of posting sideways has crept out the SW forum and on to here now has it. OK to make you feel happy, I inverted my avatar, to make you feel at home.

PS Gail he's trying to post upside down just for you :fool:

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks for the replies to my question.

I love watching the Stormchaser series and especially enjoy watching Reed Timmer. The way he gets so excited is very funny, having said that I bet I would be the same. Josh Wurman appears to be a much more serious character.

Posted

Just 70 Days To Go until me and Mr M fly out to set everything up with Uncle Tom coming along 1 day later.

Time for some Oklahoma Supercells from seasons 2011 and 2012 to whet the appetite.

Will do 2013 and 2014 Oklahoma Supercells next week

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24th May 2011 - Target Canton (Oklahoma) Supercell produced Tornadoes including an EF4 Wedge and EF1 Rope Tornado

post-24-0-41990600-1424871131_thumb.jpg - Rope Tornado

post-24-0-09846500-1424871288_thumb.jpg - EF4 Violent Wedge Tornado

11th June 2011 - Target North West Oklahoma - HP Supercell did not produce any Tornadoes but Structure was great

post-24-0-78798400-1424871422_thumb.jpg - Shattuck HP Supercell

13th April  2012 - Target South West Oklahoma - HP Supe which dropped a small rain wrapped Tornado near Cooperton

post-24-0-75603200-1424871835_thumb.jpg - Cooperton HP Supercell

19th May 2012 - Target North West Oklahoma - Classic Supercell with pronounced Mammatus no Tornado

post-24-0-86660000-1424872039_thumb.jpg - Elk City Classic Supercell

29th May 2012 - Target Canton (Oklahoma) - LP To Classic To HP Supercell Produced Cone Tornado at Piedmont

post-24-0-29491900-1424872332_thumb.jpg - Classic Supercell Stage near Dover (Oklahoma)

post-24-0-26288500-1424872456_thumb.jpg - HP Supercell Stage near Piedmont producing destructive 5.25" Hail

post-24-0-51405900-1424872528_thumb.jpg - Just enough of the RFD Clear Punch to see the Rain Wrapped Cone Tornado.

Paul S

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Some great photos Paul, that supercell at Elk City will live long in the memory.

Just 70 Days To Go until me and Mr M fly out to set everything up with Uncle Tom coming along 1 day later.

Time for some Oklahoma Supercells from seasons 2011 and 2012 to whet the appetite.

Will do 2013 and 2014 Oklahoma Supercells next week

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

24th May 2011 - Target Canton (Oklahoma) Supercell produced Tornadoes including an EF4 Wedge and EF1 Rope Tornado

attachicon.gif041.JPG - Rope Tornado

attachicon.gifIMG_8900_C.jpg - EF4 Violent Wedge Tornado

11th June 2011 - Target North West Oklahoma - HP Supercell did not produce any Tornadoes but Structure was great

attachicon.gif029_stitch.jpg - Shattuck HP Supercell

13th April  2012 - Target South West Oklahoma - HP Supe which dropped a small rain wrapped Tornado near Cooperton

attachicon.gif046.JPG - Cooperton HP Supercell

19th May 2012 - Target North West Oklahoma - Classic Supercell with pronounced Mammatus no Tornado

attachicon.gif029.JPG - Elk City Classic Supercell

29th May 2012 - Target Canton (Oklahoma) - LP To Classic To HP Supercell Produced Cone Tornado at Piedmont

attachicon.gif029.JPG - Classic Supercell Stage near Dover (Oklahoma)

attachicon.gif044.JPG - HP Supercell Stage near Piedmont producing destructive 5.25" Hail

attachicon.gif048.JPG - Just enough of the RFD Clear Punch to see the Rain Wrapped Cone Tornado.

Paul S

Posted

Thanks Olly

Something of a rarity that day as well and something I have only ever seen twice before in 12 years of chasing was the 3 Supercells lined up in front of us with an LP, Classic and the HP To our North.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms (lightning, wind, snow) and sunshine!

Am I right in saying that we pay for the tour on or before 30th March? How do we go about paying, is there a link we go on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

getting TOO excited now. cant wait to arrive in Denver. going a day early to try and have a look around the scenery. anyone else on T4?

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

I'm like you Chris. I'm getting way too excited. Can't wait wait for it to come. Fly out to DFW 11 weeks tomorrow. I'm even more excited now than I was this time last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Am I right in saying that we pay for the tour on or before 30th March? How do we go about paying, is there a link we go on?

I think it's the 31st, but yes I would be curious to get some payment info!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms (lightning, wind, snow) and sunshine!

I think it's the 31st, but yes I would be curious to get some payment info!

Did you also get the early bird rate, Nick? As I can't quite remember how much it was, I'm saying £1600?

Posted

Did you also get the early bird rate, Nick? As I can't quite remember how much it was, I'm saying £1600?

I did, but I went for the single room option so mine was more :)

Posted

We'll be sending out final payment info during the next couple of weeks - can be paid online or over the phone (or by cheque / bank transfer if needed). 

Posted

Just over 60 days to go now so staying with Oklahoma and some Supercell Storms we have chased over the past 2 seasons 2013 & 2014. Oklahoma really has had some stunning storms the last 2 years and also some deadly ones like Moore and El Reno back in 2013! Most of the Supercells happened in April and Early May in 2014

19th May 2013 - Chase Target Oklahoma City Area (The Day B4 The Day Event) & Obviously Changeover Day Bonus Chase

Dryline Set-Up with Explosive Ingredients in front of us 86/72 and 45kts of Deep Layer Shear.

post-24-0-79724600-1425303166_thumb.jpg - 1st Tornado Near Edmund just near I35 North of OK City

post-24-0-03797000-1425303473_thumb.jpg - 3rd Large Tornado NW Of Shawnee which was rated EF4.

31st May 2013 - Chase Target Yukon to El Reno - Largest Ever Tornado recorded at 3.4 Miles Wide

Stationery Cold Front with Explosive Ingredients and 88/76 and 45kts of Deep Layer Shear.

post-24-0-36480100-1425303647_thumb.jpg - El Reno Supercell Just Before it started to produce the first Tornadoes

post-24-0-70189800-1425303799_thumb.jpg - Extremely Large Wedge Crossing the Road to our North just as it was transitioning from 1.5 miles wide to 3.4 Miles Wide. (Photo Credit from our guest Claire Hudson)

8th May 2014 - Chase Target SW Oklahoma and N Central Texas

Dryline Set-Up with Moderate Instability and 96/60 and 35kts of Deep Layer Shear

post-24-0-20844200-1425303944_thumb.jpg - HP Supercell near Wakita just North of the Red River.

1st June 2014 - Chase Target NW Oklahoma

Stationery Boundary with Weak to Marginal Instability and 82/55 and 30kts of Deep Layer Shear

post-24-0-70349600-1425304121_thumb.jpg - HP Supercell crawling along the OK/KS Border at Sunset.

Regards

Paul S

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

That last photo was a beautiful storm. It was day 1 of tour 3. Also that was the very first time Ive heard of n saw mamautas clouds or boobs as somebody would call them

post-20731-0-64495400-1425309273_thumb.j

Edited by AndyR

Posted

Really looking forward to another chase season and supporting the teams from my virtual HQ in sleepy Hampshire.

Also getting some further practice as I'm heading out next season 2016 for the first time in some years so hoping to hit the ground running.

Are there any changes to streaming tech this year - it would be fair to say that sometimes it didn't perform quite as well as it might (blank spots aside which is unavoidable)

im booked on tour1 which is arrive may 8th and depart 19may , so 8th may we can arrive any time in usa and this isnt a chase day ?? then 1st chase day is may9 ? , chase day 2 is may10, etc until chase day 10 is 18may and so we need to be on way back to dallas on day10 so that we can depart from dallas on 19th may correct ? 

on 5 march skscanners cheapest direct flight from heathrow to dallas fort worth is £791 return for 1, in the 4th march daily telegraph was an article saying cheapest time to book flight to usa is 2 weeks before travel !! not sure i trust that advice

also whats the deal with USA do we need visa/green card etc im sure weatherholidays told me theres some form to fill in but i cant recall what and where to find it !! help please

thanks

dave, once ive decided day to fly out ill let you lot know then we can arrange to meet at aiport etc 

Posted

Will answer all your queries now Dave.

Correct the Travel Day is Friday 8th May, the first chase day is Saturday May 9th and we then chase for 10 days, meaning Chase Day 10 is Monday 18th May. That last chase day can still be easily achievable as long as the Chase Area is no further North than Central Kansas as a general rule, distance from Wichita to DFW Airport is 6 hours drive, meaning that if most peoples flights on the 19th May are in the afternoon then we can easily leave the hotel we stay in the night before at 7am and get you guys back to the airport in time, if the risk is in Nebraska Northwards then Chase Day 10 is not going to be easily achievable, all tour companies go through this logistical headache but as long as you guys dont mind a bit of travelling to get back to the Base Airport then we will always try our best to chase. Most of the action in early to mid may is the Southern Plains anyway and this is why we change the airports around the season as the pattern shifts northwards throughout May and June.

Flight Prices are a lottery, some people find the cheapest flight prices tend to be on a Tuesday, maybe the companies refresh their prices weekly at this point, who knows, some people got decent late deals last year some did not. All I will say is please try to book your returning flight no earlier than mid afternoon on the travel home day, this helps with the paragraph above and helps us to give you a full chasing programme, there is no worse feeling with a Moderate Risk on Chase Day 10 and someone who needs to be at DFW By 6am on travel day.

You do NOT need a Visa, you need to pay $15 for an ESTA, This is valid for 2 years travel to the States, it can be found online and make sure you use the US Government online document, I am sure someone will put the link up for you.

With regards to letting us know when we can arrange to pick you up etc, we will be meeting and greeting most people on the official travel day at Car Rentals, all this information on where to go etc when you get outside of the terminal will be sent in the welcome pack 2-3 weeks before you go, the only people we sometimes dont meet are the guys who travel in a day early between the later tours as they can sometimes come in whilst we are chasing and get the free shuttle bus to our base hotel at the Best Western, in this instance we meet them at the Hotel.

Hope all that helps in some way

• Like 1

Posted

I would just keep checking Expedia every day, it's what I did and managed to get a ridiculously cheap flight one day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

19th May 2013 -

attachicon.gif014.JPG - 1st Tornado Near Edmund just near I35 North of OK City

Paul S

My first tornado and subject of my first tattoo

Posted

Well I aint gonna miss the cup final now...

• Like 1