Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms (lightning, wind, snow) and sunshine!

Brilliant, thank you! Never been to USA before, but I have heard it is cheap, food especially. Starting to look forward to the tour now, not too long to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

Hi Ashleigh. You won't be disappointed. This will be the holiday of a life time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Hi ive just booked on tour1 , thisll be my 1st chase other than watching discovery channels storm chasers episodes !!  ill be looking to book a flight soon so any tips ? eg ive found skyscanner website id prefer to fly direct so are their any other websites to hunt for cheapest flight ?  Im Dave in my 30's from Cambridgeshire England, be great to meet people at the airport ..not sure if ill go a day early yet. i hope we all exchange emails etc at end of tour so we can exchange photos we get.   i guess i blame the 1996 film " twister" for my interest in doing this ! hope everones tripods fit in the minivans : )

Hey,

I'm in the same situation - first ever trip to the USA, and also looking to meet people at the airport and fly across. I'm not able to send you a message on here, but let me know if you or anyone else is interested in meeting at the airport and flying.

Thanks!

Mike.

That is a tad early, you would have to be at DFW At 9am for check in, so that would mean our last day would have to be spent around the DFW Area, if there was a risk in Kansas the day before (which is the last chase day) then we would not be able to chase the risk as we would not be able to get back for the early flight.

If for instance the flight was in the afternoon and the check in around 1pm for instance, we can leave Kansas at 7am to get to DFW Area around Midday, thats the only reason we like the later afternoon flights on the travel day as it does not kill a whole chase day and they crop up like this more times than not, are there any other options ?

Thanks Paul, Ill keep looking, its just that particular flight was very reasonable, ill find one for about 5pm ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I would recommend getting a currency card, I got one when I lived in the states...

https://www.caxtonfx.com/

You get a better exchange rate than travel agents, it's much more secure than carrying wads of cash around and if you run out you can just top your card up online :)

Edited by Nick L

Posted

Thanks Paul, Ill keep looking, its just that particular flight was very reasonable, ill find one for about 5pm ish.

Thanks Jon, Its always the law of the sod that there will be a Moderate Risk chase day on Day 10, somehow always works like that so later the better.

I would recommend getting a currency card, I got one when I lived in the states...

You get a better exchange rate than travel agents, it's much more secure than carrying wads of cash around and if you run out you can just top your card up online :)

Can concur with what Nick says above, we have an FX Caxton Dollar card and they are great!

Posted

Thanks Jon, Its always the law of the sod that there will be a Moderate Risk chase day on Day 10, somehow always works like that so later the better.

Can concur with what Nick says above, we have an FX Caxton Dollar card and they are great!

Mine is still valid until summer, can't remember the bloody PIN though :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms (lightning, wind, snow) and sunshine!

Hi Nick, yes I was thinking about getting one of those. I normally use one when I go to South Africa. They are very useful, and doesn't matter too much if it gets stolen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Mine is still valid until summer, can't remember the bloody PIN though :D

There's a number on the back of the card Nick, call that, and go through a tedious automated ID check and a robot will tell you your pin.  The $ rate is slowly creeping in the right direction too, $1.54 spot rate when I checked earlier, that's a lot of Walmart t shirts for me this year 

Posted

There's a number on the back of the card Nick, call that, and go through a tedious automated ID check and a robot will tell you your pin.  The $ rate is slowly creeping in the right direction too, $1.54 spot rate when I checked earlier, that's a lot of Walmart t shirts for me this year 

Cheers, will do.

Meanwhile, the cup final demon grows ever larger...

Posted

Do you use a filter for taking day time lightning shots ? Like ND 10 non stop filter ?

I've got a ND 2 ND 4 ND 6 and ND 10 filters also a 0.45 wide angle fish lens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I don't Andy, I rely on the sky turning dark enough to not need a filter to tone it down.

Posted

I don't Andy, I rely on the sky turning dark enough to not need a filter to tone it down.

Same here too but when we was in the states last year. We saw a few good strikes in the day time but couldn't capture it on camera. Same thing happened here last year when we had the wild storms. Beautiful strikes but couldn't capture them. Thought maybe using the ND 10 might help

That is a tad early, you would have to be at DFW At 9am for check in, so that would mean our last day would have to be spent around the DFW Area, if there was a risk in Kansas the day before (which is the last chase day) then we would not be able to chase the risk as we would not be able to get back for the early flight.

If for instance the flight was in the afternoon and the check in around 1pm for instance, we can leave Kansas at 7am to get to DFW Area around Midday, thats the only reason we like the later afternoon flights on the travel day as it does not kill a whole chase day and they crop up like this more times than not, are there any other options ?

Found one for 15:00pm is that ok?

Posted

3 months from now I'll be somewhere over the pond! Getting close...

Posted

Found one for 15:00pm is that ok?

Yep

Guessing thats a 1 Stopper somewhere else for connecting flight so that wouks okay, have had people on 3pm flights before and got them to DFW by 1pm with no problems.

Posted

Yep

Guessing thats a 1 Stopper somewhere else for connecting flight so that wouks okay, have had people on 3pm flights before and got them to DFW by 1pm with no problems.

Yeah at least with internal flights you don't have to be there as early! Mine leaves for Chicago at 5pm so won't need to be there until well into the afternoon.

Posted

My fly back doesn't leave until 10.40pm so guess I'll be relaxing in the Qantas Club for a while before take off :)  or hit the mall near the Best Western in Irving

Edited by CycloneGail

Yep

Excellent, just booked with united airlines and departure time from Dallas fort worth is 15:30pm! So looking forward to it. Should be arriving at 10pm ish on the day before the chase so gonna book best western hotel and be up bright and early and ready for the chase the next day on the 30th!!

Posted

Booked my transport to Heathrow, woo :D

Posted

I have a question which I hope you don't mind me asking on this thread.

Recently I have been watching the series called Stormchasers on Discovery. I was wondering if the likes of Paul S & Nick F have actually met Reed Timmer & Josh Wurman?

Posted

Hi Dave we regularly cross paths with all the other chasers, they know of us as we do of them, have met pretty much all of them over the years and they are all decent guys. Think the below was in Texas last yearpost-24-0-94785500-1424693613_thumb.jpg

Posted

Lol dont know why the above has uploaded like that but hey ho

Josh is a good laugh as well, oh and the lovely Karen Kosiba from Stormchasers Discovery earlier Series working in the Dow trucks

post-24-0-83268200-1424693834_thumb.jpg