Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

It sure was Paul. That was my first time seeing a supercell mothership. It was so low. You could literally touch it. Also that was my very first tornado. Seen a few waterspouts but never a tornado.

post-20731-0-70911900-1423589552_thumb.j

Hi All,

Is there anyone on tour 3? 30th May 2015 one. I'm contemplating going the day before the chase, Seen a flight for £640 doubt the price would get better.

Are there any very cheap hotels near the airport? 1-2 mile radius is ok I guess I could cab it. 

What time and where are we all meeting? Are we all meeting at the airport? I know its early but  want to be prepared.

Thanks, Jon. (So looking forward to it!)

Posted

Hi Jon

Paul will send out an Info Pack 2-3 weeks before you go which gives all the details on where to meet etc, what the best Hotel is to stay the day before chasing begins, I am hoping I am reading it correctly above that you are travelling at the very least the day before the chasing starts and not on Chase Day 1 Proper as that will be too late.

Most people fly in on the 29th May giving themselves a day to acclimatise, the 30th is the travel day (Last day you can travel) as we will be chasing on the 31st May and could if its an early start already by in Kansas or Oklahoma for instance.

The way it works with the tours is as follows, I will be dropping Tour 2 guests off at DFW Airport on the 30th May, usually about 12 Noon as there flights are from 5pm in the evening, the guests who have arrived on the 29th are already at the Base Hotel which is the Best Western Irving Inns and Suites and is about 2 miles from the airport, no cab is needed as the Hotel lay on a Free Shuttle Bus to and from the Airport. The guests that are travelling on the 30th May (Official Travel Day) will be getting through customs between 430pm and 6pm, If we are not heading away to position for a chase me and the other cars invariably meet and greet at the Car Rentals area and drive you to the Best Western.

But as I say all this info will be sent out to you by Paul.

Cheers

Paul S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some of the ESTA questions are hilarious.

Posted

Hi Jon, I'm on Tour 3 and will be arriving on 27 May to get over the jetlag as the flight from Sydney is a few hours longer than those from the UK (and crossing the dateline doesn't help either - makes it a bit like groundhog day for me :)  ).  Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Posted

3 of my favourite Supercell Structure pictures from recent years in Texas -  will do Oklahoma Tomorrow!

-------

post-24-0-00487500-1423664911_thumb.jpg - Seymour HP Supercell 30th May 2012

------

post-24-0-20583800-1423664979_thumb.jpg - Ballinger LP Supercell 09th May 2013

------

post-24-0-53510300-1423665059_thumb.jpg - Henrietta Classic Supercell 07th May 2014

What I like about these 3 Supercells are they show all 3 types of Supercell and as you would expect during May when the Southern Plains is well into their Spring Season!

Oklahoma Tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted

Didn't get too many photos during my storm chasing exploits, but this was my favourite one we got. Near sunset in Kansas, Pratt I think? April 2013. I think this was the one taken by Trevor (he had a better camera than me!).

post-7600-0-61049500-1423666586_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hi ive just booked on tour1 , thisll be my 1st chase other than watching discovery channels storm chasers episodes !!  ill be looking to book a flight soon so any tips ? eg ive found skyscanner website id prefer to fly direct so are their any other websites to hunt for cheapest flight ?  Im Dave in my 30's from Cambridgeshire England, be great to meet people at the airport ..not sure if ill go a day early yet. i hope we all exchange emails etc at end of tour so we can exchange photos we get.   i guess i blame the 1996 film " twister" for my interest in doing this ! hope everones tripods fit in the minivans : )

Posted

Didn't get too many photos during my storm chasing exploits, but this was my favourite one we got. Near sunset in Kansas, Pratt I think? April 2013. I think this was the one taken by Trevor (he had a better camera than me!).

attachicon.gifIMG_0757.JPG

Great Bend, looking east at the supercell moving away from us. April 7th 2013. Not that I remember or anything...

Posted

Hi Dave

Skyscanner seems the best of a bad bunch re Transatlantic Flights, the other two for direct flights obviously ba.com and aa.com.

Tour 1 seems to be all newbies this year which is great as you are all starting at the same point, we also have Tom on that tour as staff and he has been going since the 1800's so a wealth of all knowledge and a pretty good comic as well over the radio (watch out for his dwarf joke) Ian M is also on that tour and is getting towards veteran status now. We use Chevy Tahoes or Chevy Suburbans so plenty of room, just think of a Range Rover size and double it.

Most people swap facebook/twitter details and share pictures so no worries there and Ian M is a pretty decent photographer as well if you need tips on settings etc

Cheers

Paul

Posted

Great Bend, looking east at the supercell moving away from us. April 7th 2013. Not that I remember or anything...

Haha speak of the devil! Clearly a better memory than me. I remember now, we were sat in Pratt for a while and then moved north, and got this view by accident. A highlight of a disappointing few days.

Posted

With Dave taking that last spot on Tour 1 that means both Tours 1 & 2 are now SOLD OUT!

Just 3 spaces left overall now with 2 spaces on Tour 4 and 1 space on Tour 3!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

This guy loves living on the edge !

post-20731-0-36015200-1423688407_thumb.j

post-20731-0-92349600-1423694244_thumb.j

Edited by AndyRoss

Posted

Cruelty to Chickens

post-24-0-71315800-1423873078_thumb.jpg

The Main Damage Assessor Himself Tim Marshall funnily enough just before the cap broke and a 6 Tornado evening to follow

post-24-0-01731700-1423873172_thumb.jpg

Oh and more cruelty to chickens

post-24-0-16187800-1423873259_thumb.jpg

Funny old Place Tornado Alley!

Hi Jon, I'm on Tour 3 and will be arriving on 27 May to get over the jetlag as the flight from Sydney is a few hours longer than those from the UK (and crossing the dateline doesn't help either - makes it a bit like groundhog day for me :)  ).  Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

HI Gail,

Looking forward to meeting you too. getting more excited by the day!

Hi Jon

Paul will send out an Info Pack 2-3 weeks before you go which gives all the details on where to meet etc, what the best Hotel is to stay the day before chasing begins, I am hoping I am reading it correctly above that you are travelling at the very least the day before the chasing starts and not on Chase Day 1 Proper as that will be too late.

Most people fly in on the 29th May giving themselves a day to acclimatise, the 30th is the travel day (Last day you can travel) as we will be chasing on the 31st May and could if its an early start already by in Kansas or Oklahoma for instance.

The way it works with the tours is as follows, I will be dropping Tour 2 guests off at DFW Airport on the 30th May, usually about 12 Noon as there flights are from 5pm in the evening, the guests who have arrived on the 29th are already at the Base Hotel which is the Best Western Irving Inns and Suites and is about 2 miles from the airport, no cab is needed as the Hotel lay on a Free Shuttle Bus to and from the Airport. The guests that are travelling on the 30th May (Official Travel Day) will be getting through customs between 430pm and 6pm, If we are not heading away to position for a chase me and the other cars invariably meet and greet at the Car Rentals area and drive you to the Best Western.

But as I say all this info will be sent out to you by Paul.

Cheers

Paul S

HI Paul I have found a return flight that takes off from DFW airport on the return date, but its at 11:54am is that going to be too early? Thanks Jon.

Posted

HI Paul I have found a return flight that takes off from DFW airport on the return date, but its at 11:54am is that going to be too early? Thanks Jon.

That is a tad early, you would have to be at DFW At 9am for check in, so that would mean our last day would have to be spent around the DFW Area, if there was a risk in Kansas the day before (which is the last chase day) then we would not be able to chase the risk as we would not be able to get back for the early flight.

If for instance the flight was in the afternoon and the check in around 1pm for instance, we can leave Kansas at 7am to get to DFW Area around Midday, thats the only reason we like the later afternoon flights on the travel day as it does not kill a whole chase day and they crop up like this more times than not, are there any other options ?

Posted

Paul, is there a web connection in the car? It's just that I'm going to need it for the cup final seeing as we just wiped the floor with your lot :D

Posted

Not biting

Good luck to the Baggies, the Internet connection is always switched off on Cup Final Day though...................Sorry!

:oops:  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms (lightning, wind, snow) and sunshine!

Hi all! Just wondering, what is the average recommended amount of spending money for a tour? Just would like a rough idea of how much $ is needed.

Posted

Hi Ashleigh

It is incredibly cheap over there and for that cheapness you get some of the best food in the world! Win Win Situation.

Usually spend around $10 for Lunch as chase days are always quick on the go food like a Subway Lunch, Mcdonalds, etc etc, if we have a down day or travel day we usually find a family run restuarant or cafe which is still no more than $10. For your evening meal again it varies, if we have been chasing hard into the night then sometimes we all stick $10 into a whip and grab some large pizzas delivered to the Hotel room, or an Applebys which is an American Fod place again food and drink would not set you back more than $10 to $15 for this, again if we are on down time we might go to a more upmarket expensive restaurant like The Big Texan where a meal could set you back $30.

So for safetys sake I always take around $40 to $50 per day and always have loads left over for gifts for the family etc.

Hope that helps!