Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted

4 Months today is arrival day for Tour 1 or 120 days!!!

Madeleine have sent you a message on facebook as well to get you started with the other group chatter we have about the upcoming trips.

Your flights all look ok though, arrival on that 0930 flight is about 1510pm (Local Time) and then return is about 530pm from DFW - LHR Terminal 5

If anyone else on here wants to be added as well then send me a Pm.

Other than that keep the questions coming on here and am sure they will all get answered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Oooo, do tell. I'm looking for one myself before I embark on tour 2.

I got a Nikon D3200 for around £270, I know bugger all about cameras so got my cousin who is a keen photographer to recommend me one :)

On a side note, the FA Cup final is on 30th May, the day I fly back, it'll be just my luck that we'll make it there this year...

• Like 1

Posted

I think that's highly unlikely, unless the wba team have maybe applied to be mascots for the day?

I'm not biting :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Welcome to Tour 1 Madeleine

if you need any assistance in arranging your trip just hollar.. Unfortunately I am flying out the day before but there may  be others coming out the same day as you. . 

Tom 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Well one of my new toys for the Tour 3 has arrived, a new camera as well.  Have upgraded to an Olympus OMD E-M1 from the E-M5.  Now just have to order my lightning trigger :)

lightning trigger is a must have for me too. Got a 10-16mm wide angle lens just before xmas

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wild Thunderstorns

I got a Nikon D3200 for around £270, I know bugger all about cameras so got my cousin who is a keen photographer to recommend me one :)

On a side note, the FA Cup final is on 30th May, the day I fly back, it'll be just my luck that we'll make it there this year...

Hi Nick. I got the same camera as you. I bought mine last year n like you. I didn't have a clue how to use it. I got so much better with it now tho. Very good camera. Settings to capture good lightening in settings. Set your filter to F11 and your ISO to 800 depending how dark it is. Could also leave it in 100 but the photos will come out abit darker. Turn your lens settings to manual. Don't use automatic. If u do. The camera won't let you take the photo at night. I found that out last year. You also need a little clicker so you can take the photos without touching the camera. Have it on long exposer for about 5 or 6 seconds. There's also plenty of videos on you tube that will show you how to use it. Hope that helped ya out abit.

Posted

Hi Nick. I got the same camera as you. I bought mine last year n like you. I didn't have a clue how to use it. I got so much better with it now tho. Very good camera. Settings to capture good lightening in settings. Set your filter to F11 and your ISO to 800 depending how dark it is. Could also leave it in 100 but the photos will come out abit darker. Turn your lens settings to manual. Don't use automatic. If u do. The camera won't let you take the photo at night. I found that out last year. You also need a little clicker so you can take the photos without touching the camera. Have it on long exposer for about 5 or 6 seconds. There's also plenty of videos on you tube that will show you how to use it. Hope that helped ya out abit.

I see this camera is in Currys and in stock.  I may purchase it.  I know nothing about cameras but need one for Tour 2.  Would I need to buy the SIGMA 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 DG Telephoto Zoom Lens that is recommended with the camera?  it costs an extra £95 but i'm not sure what the benefits are.  Cheers.

Posted

Cheers for the advice. There's a "for dummies" guide for this model that I'm going to buy :)

• Like 1

Posted

No probs

Edited by AndyRoss

Posted

Hi guys, so I finally got round to it and have booked tour 3 ! So excited !! Will be booking my flights this weekend and sorting my insurance out ! I am going to try and book to arrive a day early and stay in a hotel that night does anyone have any recommendations for hotels at Dallas Fort Worth airport ?

• Like 1

Posted

Hi guys, so I finally got round to it and have booked tour 3 ! So excited !! Will be booking my flights this weekend and sorting my insurance out ! I am going to try and book to arrive a day early and stay in a hotel that night does anyone have any recommendations for hotels at Dallas Fort Worth airport ?

Hi Thomas. We normally stay at the best western Irving inn in Dallas Fort Worth. They provide a free shuttle to n from the airport. Book via Expedia n you should get a discount. I'm booked in there for 18th may. Paid £50 for one night. Free wifi n breakfast

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Hi Thomas, I'll be one of the drivers on T3, normally those arriving a day early, as I probably will, stay at the Best Western in Irving not far from DFW airport, there is a hotel shuttle bus that can pick you up from the airport too.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/TX/Irving-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Irving-Inn---Suites-at-DFW-Airport/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=44524

On changeover day from T2 drop off at DFW, and pick up of T3, the day before the chase starts in earnest, we will all probably stay at this hotel, unless there is a risk to chase in the area for a bonus chase day.

Posted

Hi Nick,

That's great thanks! Will hopefully get that booked over the weekend then ! Where is the pick up / meeting point for tour 3 ? And what sort of time ?

Thanks Tom

Posted

Hi Tom

Dont worry about drop off / pick up points yet, all of that gets sent to guests about 3-4 weeks before you fly off in an info/welcome pack.

Hope that helps

Paul

Posted

Hi Tom

Dont worry about drop off / pick up points yet, all of that gets sent to guests about 3-4 weeks before you fly off in an info/welcome pack.

Hope that helps

Paul

I love how SE Essex is nestled in your tornado history :D

Posted

I see this camera is in Currys and in stock.  I may purchase it.  I know nothing about cameras but need one for Tour 2.  Would I need to buy the SIGMA 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 DG Telephoto Zoom Lens that is recommended with the camera?  it costs an extra £95 but i'm not sure what the benefits are.  Cheers.

Hi Ben

For what it's worth I use a 17-70 sigma lens for 90% of my shots out there and the rest with a 11-16 wide angle lens on my D5000. I have tried the longer lens I have but found it a waste of time. Changing a lens in a frantic rush while a tornado is on the ground and possibly missing it is enough for me not to stick it in the bag! IF you have more than one camera body though, you could always leave it attached :D

You can probably pick that lens up cheaper on ebay too.

See you out there!!!!!!

Posted

Oh and all you new camera owners don't forget to buy a remote for the lightning shots at night! These are for the 3200 but do fit quite a range of nikons

Basic one here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Shutter-Release-Cord-Control-Cable-for-Nikon-MC-DC2-D3200-D90-UK-/141049185780

Or a bit more advanced - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Lapse-Intervalometer-Remote-Timer-Shutter-for-Nikon-D3100-D3200-D90-D600-UK-/221331284688

:)

Posted

Hi Ben

For what it's worth I use a 17-70 sigma lens for 90% of my shots out there and the rest with a 11-16 wide angle lens on my D5000. I have tried the longer lens I have but found it a waste of time. Changing a lens in a frantic rush while a tornado is on the ground and possibly missing it is enough for me not to stick it in the bag! IF you have more than one camera body though, you could always leave it attached :D

You can probably pick that lens up cheaper on ebay too.

See you out there!!!!!!

Great advice, thanks Arron

Posted

I love how SE Essex is nestled in your tornado history :D

Lol

It was a stunning November Tornado, T/Td of 59/54 with a South Easterly Surface wind on the 15th November at 930am.

Beautiful Rope out and some pretty bad damage along the 1 mile track path and about 250 yds wide.

Posted

Finally got round to it today and booked my flights have booked to arrive a day early so the 29th of may. I have also booked to stay that night in the best western inn hotel.

Be great to meet up with anyone else their that evening or even at the airport ?

Can't wait roll on may !!

Posted

I'm arriving on 27 May and will be staying in downtown Dallas to do some sightseeing before the tour. Am now thinking that I'll book the 29th at the Best Western so can maybe meet up with other travellers the night before.

Arron you've now got me thinking that I won't sell my old camera body just yet but bring it as well and leave my 75-300mm lens on it just in case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

I used to lug two camera bodies around all the time on tour, but after a while you realise that a wide zoom (I have a 12-24mm) covers 95% of pictures.  For the longer range stuff you might be better off investing in a decent compact travel zoom camera, like the Panasonic TZ range, to save on bag space and you'll have a pretty cool all round compact camera to keep to hand wherever you are.