Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2015 - Which Tour Are You On?

Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, tornadoes, structure

I'm still yet to book flights! Need to get on and do that! Look forward to meeting everyone on tour 2!

Slowly news is filtering through my friends that I'm going storm chasing in the states! Hoping to convert them in time for 2016 bookings!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm on T2 for the 4th consecutive year. it kinda get you once you've been. Will be travelling out a day early to help climatise :yahoo:

I'll be going for the day early option too :)

Posted

If you're on Facebook let me know and can add you to our storm chase FB group that some of the chasers are on

I've sent you a PM, boomerang :)

Hey, really looking forward to the trip now. I'm going on tour 3 (30th May) anyone want too meet up at Heathrow let me know.

I am getting slightly worried though about the flights, I was told the best time to book is around Xmas time, BA have a sale on now and the flight to Dallas is an eye-watering £836!! return, will the flights go down in price soon? I'm regretting not getting it when it was around the £600 mark.

Does anyone know when the best time exactly is for booking the flight? 

Thanks in advance. 

Posted

They usually try it on before Xmas and run the Sale to about the 17th January, have found in the past the prices take quite a tumble early January as opposed to over Xmas, they also seem to quote lower prices on a Tuesday Morning so maybe try on the 6th January and see if that £800 quid flight has indeed been slashed down a bit.

Posted

If I can get it to sub-£700 I'll be satisfied. Cheapest currently at around £730 so it's not budging a great deal yet, I'll give it a month!

Posted

Just got a return flight for £420, 18th-30th, going from Heathrow. Indirect but for that price it was a no-brainer!

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Ah, I've got chase envy! Wish I was going again this year, you guys are going to love it!!

Edited by Team Jo

Posted

Ah, I've got chase envy! Wish I was going again this year, you guys are going to love it!!

Don't worry, we'll get plenty of piccies to make you even more jealous :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Hi all,
Booked on T4 this time. Did T3 in 2013

Haven't seen anyone else claiming a place on T4 but if there is, what hotel you using ? Looking at the Days Inn close to DIA. £76 a night is a bit steep but it's not far out of the pickup area. Would be good to meet up the night before. ( so on the 11th )

On flights I'm flying from Manchester but don't want a stop in the USA ( had a close call last time when immigration was down in JFK luckily my connecting flight to DFW was delayed ) so I'm doing MAN-LHR-DEN and looking at about £650 with BA. Lufthansa are doing a flight from MAN to Frankfurt and then to DEN for £609 which isn't bad either.

Chris

UPDATE - got Days Inn for £66 inc breakfast so quite happy with that. They have airport shuttle as well which helps

Edited by Chris Sargent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Well my flights are booked with BA both ways and I fly out on 7th May.  I booked my flights back in September during the sale. I think I paid less for next years flight than I paid this year.Not sure yet who will be flying out at the same time but for sure will be booking the Irving Best Western again.  Its like going home. 

At least I know who I will be with on Tour 2. 

Tom 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Oh as for booking flights .  I checked prices every evening some times 2 or three times or more and suddenly they had dropped considerably , so went for it before it went up. Strange really.. I had a similar experience with SAS when flying to Sweden. 

Dont just think the price you see will not change because it can suddenly drop. 

Tom

Posted

Oh as for booking flights .  I checked prices every evening some times 2 or three times or more and suddenly they had dropped considerably , so went for it before it went up. Strange really.. I had a similar experience with SAS when flying to Sweden. 

Dont just think the price you see will not change because it can suddenly drop. 

Tom

Oh and don't I know it! I was checking daily, was always £700+, then one day last week it dropped to £420, now back up to £700 again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, tornadoes, structure

Flight booked (finally). Settled at £760...bit more than I hoped, but it's sorted now.  Also booked day before and reserved a room at Best Western Irving.  Just need to wait until May now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: want to find thunder-snow

Sooooo who's on tour 4 ?  :D

Me. See earlier post!

Hi all,

Booked on T4 this time. Did T3 in 2013

Haven't seen anyone else claiming a place on T4 but if there is, what hotel you using ? Looking at the Days Inn close to DIA. £76 a night is a bit steep but it's not far out of the pickup area. Would be good to meet up the night before. ( so on the 11th )

On flights I'm flying from Manchester but don't want a stop in the USA ( had a close call last time when immigration was down in JFK luckily my connecting flight to DFW was delayed ) so I'm doing MAN-LHR-DEN and looking at about £650 with BA. Lufthansa are doing a flight from MAN to Frankfurt and then to DEN for £609 which isn't bad either.

Chris

UPDATE - got Days Inn for £66 inc breakfast so quite happy with that. They have airport shuttle as well which helps

Edited by Chris Sargent

Posted

Ah good stuff Chris! , Its looking more likely that i will be going , will know by March , just waiting on college to get back to me about a grant for a possible MSc. :) 
Have my deposit down though on tour 4 since last summer ! ha

Posted the sale link on an our Irish weather forum and one other guy James Kielty jumped on the offer and is going tour 4 too! 

I'd be probably flying my usual route - Dublin - Newark - Denver .... prices hanging aournd the €750 mark . 

Posted

With the few hundred quid I saved on my flight, I've just bought myself a DSLR camera :D

• Like 1

Posted

With the few hundred quid I saved on my flight, I've just bought myself a DSLR camera :D

Oooo, do tell. I'm looking for one myself before I embark on tour 2.

Edited by Ben Passmore

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoes

Hi im Madeleine iv always wanted to do this and am excited and going on tour 1.i want to book flights I don't want to sound stupid but im assuming that the return flight is from Dallas aswel? Well I hope so as im checking flights now and because of work i work for London Underground and my annual leave il have to fly out on the 8th may arrival day (il sleep on the plane).iv just looked at british airways flights il go economy and looking at the 0930 I think it is from heathrow and flying back 1800 i think it is on the 19th.if anyone wants to meet up at the airport that would be great im going by myself.