Sign in to follow this  
knocker

MRI scans and claustrophobia

I had to go for an MRI scan this morning. They were checking to see whether I had a rogue climate sceptic gene. Being claustrophobic I looked forward to this with much trepidation.

I explained this to the radiologist, no doubt he's heard it scores of times, and he said we can pipe radio Cornwall through to you if you like. I refused politely and said that would drive me out of the tube quicker. Anyway off we went with me feeling like the man in the iron mask.

Fortunately it only lasted twenty minutes in which I kept my eyes tightly shut (not that you can see much anyway) and the noise is quite distracting.

Not something I want to repeat in a hurry but it must be a problem for people with extreme claustrophobia.

I had to go for an MRI scan this morning. They were checking to see whether I had a rogue climate sceptic gene.

They do that on the NHS now? Wouldn't surprise me in the least - these people must be found and destroyed at any cost. Anyway I've had a coupla MRI scans to check out the ol' pancreas and I can confirm that it is a most peculiar experience, even for someone who isn't prone to claustrophobia. I now know what the filling of a sausage roll must feel like.

I feel your pain here. I had to have a scan for them to check why I suffer so with my tum and it's not a nice experience. Nor is the stuff I had to drink before.

When you have one done on your head they fit some on sort of metal contraption that's fitted with a mirror so you see the end of tube if you wish. I kept my eyes resolutely shut.

I feel your pain here. I had to have a scan for them to check why I suffer so with my tum and it's not a nice experience. Nor is the stuff I had to drink before.

No its not - I had a number of scans in preparation for radio therapy for prostate cancer some of which were well in excess of an hour, since I was taking part in a clinical trial but when you think of the alternative............ so as patients we have to lump and bear it believing it is all in a good cause.

I'm happy to say that after 18 months my PSA readings are showing 0.1 - the interesting thing was that they found out that I was somewhat deformed - I don't have two kidneys but one in the shape of a horseshoe - they are conjoined and the name of horseshoe kidney is given to this condition - it's never caused me a problem except that I always suspected that my visits to the toilet were more than most.

Did you drink some chalky stuff? Did they find out what was wrong?

Did you drink some chalky stuff? Did they find out what was wrong?

I vaguely remember that (it was eleven years ago). Also remember being injected with something related to my illness (but can't definitely say it was prior to the MRI scan) which felt awesome, like having hot water pumped thru' every blood vessel.

I vaguely remember that (it was eleven years ago). Also remember being injected with something related to my illness (but can't definitely say it was prior to the MRI scan) which felt awesome, like having hot water pumped thru' every blood vessel.

They sometimes inject a dye, depending on what they are scanning and looking for.

• Like 1

They sometimes inject a dye, depending on what they are scanning and looking for.

Ah, I see. Felt great, whatever it was.

I recently had an MRI scan to check whether I was suffering from a brain tumour. Fortunately that and an EEG concluded that this is not the case. Tests are however continuing to establish what are causing my problems. I am about to walk to my doctor's surgery to have a blood test.

As far as the MRI scan was concerned I agree it is not particularly pleasant, being in a noisy confined space especially if you have a fear of such situations. The staff were very pleasant and there was a wide range of CD in their possession from which I could choose ranging from brass bands to Snow Patrol. I chose the Bee Gees No 1 hits.

Kind Regards

Dave

They gave me a clear thick liquid which tasted like aniseed and asked me to drink as much as possible. They had music playing then would ask me to breathe in and out and stuff. I don't know how long i was in there for but I can remember two people in a little room watching a monitor. The only thing keeping me from being too scared was the fact I was finally getting things sorted after years of discomfort and worry.

Anyway after all the tests, scans and what not it turned out they couldn't find any thing really wrong, and guessed it was the fact my stomach produces too much acid. And I was off work for a month while i was in and out of hospital. I was happy at least it was nothing nasty and that in it's self made things better- it started during my GCSE's. - so stress brings it on big time. Needless to say my tum still plays me up.