Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2014

Stuart

Posted

I'll go through my records, 18 years and the RAF Finningley to see how many Christmad days have had snow in this area-will take a little while though. It will take us back to about 1942 so a fair number of years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At Cleadon in Tyne and Wear between 1993 and 2012 I observed the following:

1993- snow showers during the afternoon and evening gave a couple of centimetres on the ground by around 5pm

1995- frequent heavy snow showers and about 4cm of snow initially, increasing to 8cm by the end of the day

1996- sleety shower in the evening, nothing on the ground

1999- a sleet/snow shower shortly after midday, nothing on the ground

2001- a snow shower at 8am which gave a short-lived coating on the ground

2009- a rather icy covering of a few centimetres left over from snowfalls during the preceding week

2010- 11cm of quite powdery snow left over from earlier snowfalls, a brief mix of snow/freezing rain at 8am

I still regard 1995 to be the best example of a white Christmas because of the frequent snowfall as well as snow cover, but 2010 was not far behind because of the relatively large snow depth and the lack of previous freeze-thaw action.  My personal definition of a white Christmas is loosely along the lines of, "at least a centimetre on the ground at some point between 0900 and 2359 on Christmas Day", so by that measure 1993, 1995, 2009 and 2010 all count but the "bookies' white Christmasses" in 1996, 1999 and 2001 do not.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Christmas 2009 was a winter wonderland here - we had a good 6-7 inches general cover, deeper in drifts thanks to early snowfalls. It was a bitterly cold day under blue skies and sunshine. Not an official white Christmas as no snow fell.

Christmas 2010 was a white Christmas with a surprise snowfall lasting 1 and half hours leaving a light cover over an inch cover on the ground - temps similar to 2010.

Its rare to see back to back cold snowy Christmas days. We really were spoilt in 2009 and 2010 - don't believe many snow lovers truly appreciated the rarity of the December 2009 - December 2010 period, especially coming on the back of a very decent winter in 2008/2009. I think back to the last 3 Christmases which have all been mild cloudy and wet - just awful, it certainly has been pay back time..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter

In my 33 years, I only recall snow actually falling once on Christmas day, and that was, I think, 2002. We had snow on the ground in 2010 and lots of it,but no snowfall.

I'm hoping for some around Christmas this year, not just for me, but for my two boys too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I remember 1981 as a great xmas,we had huge drifts of snow which I have not seen on xmas day since although it failed to snow on the day!!

Posted

I have 17 years data for here (1997 onwards)

Snow fell on Christmas day in 2 years only. There were two when ppn fell with temperatures at a suitable level but I was absent so unable to verify those years (2004 and 2009).

Snow was lying on Christmas day on 4 occasions, two mentioned above.

In the week with Christmas as the middle day snow occurred in 6 years and frost was observed in a similar period on 11 years.

So not that bad for such a low level area with shelter from the w/NW E/NE.

I have started searching the RAF Finningley data base, daily records from 1942-1995 but there is no daily diary thus it is quite difficult to make sensible objective decisions but I'll give it a try.

The 1960's, almost without exception were cold each Christmas period, very cold in several years.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted

I have 17 years data for here (1997 onwards)

Snow fell on Christmas day in 2 years only. There were two when ppn fell with temperatures at a suitable level but I was absent so unable to verify those years (2004 and 2009).

Snow was lying on Christmas day on 4 occasions, two mentioned above.

In the week with Christmas as the middle day snow occurred in 6 years and frost was observed in a similar period on 11 years.

So not that bad for such a low level area with shelter from the w/NW E/NE.

I have started searching the RAF Finningley data base, daily records from 1942-1995 but there is no daily diary thus it is quite difficult to make sensible objective decisions but I'll give it a try.

The 1960's, almost without exception were cold each Christmas period, very cold in several years.

Conversely most Christmas periods in the 70's and 80's were mostly mild, exceptions being 1970, 1976, 1978, 1981. 90's and 00's have been very mixed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Xmas day 2010 was a winter wonderland here, plenty of snow on the ground and clear blue skies, it was without doubt a picture prefect postcard scene but alas not an official white Christmas according to the meto as no snow fell on the day, well I couldn't care less what the meto say lol, it was a white xmas in my eyes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

2010- 11cm of quite powdery snow left over from earlier snowfalls, a brief mix of snow/freezing rain at 8am

The coldest Christmas day on record was in 2010 where did your freezing rain come from ?

Didn't get above -5c where I'm from

For me 2010 was by far the most white Christmas I have seen in 45+ years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The coldest Christmas day on record was in 2010 where did your freezing rain come from ?

Christmas day 2010 was surreal. A real picture postcard scene with snow laying on the ground and temps not above freezing. A white Christmas has such a better atmosphere about it than a Christmas with a howling SW'ly, leaden skies and drizzly rain.

Christmas day 2004 was another good one here....heavy snowfall that day. Had to leave my grandparent's house early that night as weather conditions were getting a bit dicey! Can't beat a good old Cheshire gap streamer! Not seen a decent one for years. March 2006? I think was the last one.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think there was a temperature inversion as a weak weather system moved in from the north-west, so some places did report freezing rain as well as snow from it, but at my location it didn't amount to much.

The maximum temperature at Cleadon was 2.0C, but there was no thaw as the dew point remained well below zero.

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The fourth update increases the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the south and reduces it for the north. The reason for this is recent trends perhaps pointing towards more anticyclonic conditions developing during the early part of the winter with a chance of colder continental incursions. In this type of set up southern and eastern areas would be most likely to see colder conditions and a chance of snow flurries.

Recent years have brought a range of weather during the festive season to the UK, and there have been some notable cold spells. This year at the present time background signals look fairly neutral but things could change during the autumn.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20%

Forecast issued

Update 4, 20/09/2014

The computer says [issued 21/09/2014 12:46:39]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
  • Snow is expected in Wales
  • Snow is expected in the Midlands
  • Snow is expected in the north
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • Snow is expected in Northern Ireland
  • Snow is expected in the Republic of Ireland
  • Snow is expected in the Netherlands

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

• Like 3

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The fifth update makes no change to the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the south and the north. There is thought to be a reasonable chance of predominantly anticyclonic conditions developing during the early part of the winter with a chance of colder continental incursions. In this type of set up southern and eastern areas would be most likely to see colder conditions and a chance of snow flurries.

Recent years have brought a range of weather during the festive season to the UK, and there have been some notable cold spells. This year at the present time background signals look fairly neutral but things could change during the autumn.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20%

Forecast issued

Update 5, 27/09/2014

The computer says [issued 28/09/2014 07:11:30]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • Snow is expected in Wales
  • Snow is expected in the Midlands
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the north
  • Snow is expected in Scotland
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Northern Ireland
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in the Republic of Ireland
  • Snow is expected in the Netherlands

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

• Like 1

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The sixth update reduces the chances of snow falling on Christmas day in the south and the north. A change to much mode cyclonic conditions is now expected during the first half of October following on from the settled and warm September. The TWO view is this autumnal pattern favours a relatively mild westerly flow during the Christmas period but it should be pointed out that many people would dispute or disagree with this.

In a relatively mild south westerly flow high ground in northern parts of the UK would have the best chance of seeing snow.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 12%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 10%

Forecast issued

Update 6, 04/10/2014

The computer says [issued 04/10/2014 19:05:33]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Scotland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Netherlands.

-http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Christmas 2010 was an absolute dream here. It was the only true white Xmas Day I can recall in my 38 years, although Xmas 2009 was close. To have about 6 inches of laying snow with occasional light snow showers was truly magical and a year I'll never forget. I sincerely hope I get to see a few more otherwise I might have to emigrate to Chicago! :yahoo:  :cold:  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

My prediction is a 1 in 10 chance of sleet or snow falling on Christmas Day at my location, and a similar chance that snow will be lying on the Big Day.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

We are long overdue a white new year,, the last widespread one being 1979. Northern parts saw some snow 2000 before mild air moved in. 1996 was also a snowy new years eve for many. New Years Day 95 produced some snowfalls, 1985 also I think. 2010 produced a bit of snow but not widespread. A long time since we have seen a blizzard to greet in the New Year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Last year it was really icy cold up until about 2 days before Christmas where it warmed up. I remember being too hot in my Christmas jumper on the day! I'd love to have a 2010 winter again.

• Like 1

Posted

We are long overdue a white new year,, the last widespread one being 1979. Northern parts saw some snow 2000 before mild air moved in. 1996 was also a snowy new years eve for many. New Years Day 95 produced some snowfalls, 1985 also I think. 2010 produced a bit of snow but not widespread. A long time since we have seen a blizzard to greet in the New Year.

Had the slightest of White New Years here in 2009. It was a night of freezing fog but with a very light fall of snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

New year is a bit of a blargh time for me. Xmas is over and back to work soon - urgh! Past new years eve and my interest wanes, its all about Xmas and the run up to it for me

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

New year is a bit of a blargh time for me. Xmas is over and back to work soon - urgh! Past new years eve and my interest wanes, its all about Xmas and the run up to it for me

Yes new year sucks, I actually wish for snow during this period to lift the blues!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Would love a white Christmas as never seen one before, hopefully this year can be the one, fingers crossed!! Chances for where I live are extremely slim but there is always a chance even if it is slim one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Would like a white new year. Always seems to be mild and often wet on the night or foggy.