Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2014

Stuart

Posted

TheWeatherOutlook says

The first update is going for a fairly changeable and average picture across the UK during the Christmas period. This means a predominantly westerly flow is considered likely with the highest chance of snow falling over higher ground in northern parts of the UK. Snow over low ground Britain would not be expected in this type of set up.

Recent years have brought a range of weather during the festive season to the UK, and there have been some notable cold spells. This year at the present time background signals look fairly neutral but things could change during the autumn.

Enjoy counting down the days to the big day and check regularly for updates. Also check out what 'The computer says' in its daily update below.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15%

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 10%

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2014

The computer says [issued 01/09/2014 18:57:10]The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?

• It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.
  • Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland.
  • It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Netherlands.

hope paul don't mind

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/Christmas-weather-forecast

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The weatheroutlook always start off with this scenario! :)  I hazard a guess that it will be sunny 12c!

my prediction, fairly obvious of course is SW airstream for whole of UK, rainy, windy and 12C in South,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

'The computer says'....... Have a complete guess...... Because i haven't a clue either  :p 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

deleted

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Can this post be locked,summer only finished yesterday!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Thunderstorms and Heatwaves

hillbilly, why do you feel that it should be locked no one here is forcing you to read it! I in fact enjoy seeing what people have to say about the coming autumn/winter as this is the only time during the year I come back to the chat. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frosty / Warm but not hot with a steady breeze

Crickey, how about people don't read a thread if they are going to get in a pickle about its content?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I don't think at this stage man or computer could predict if it's going to be a white Christmas or not this year - A long way to go yet! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I don't think at this stage man or computer could predict if it's going to be a white Christmas or not this year - A long way to go yet! :D

Indeed.... Like many of us on here, we all love the white stuff especially with a bit of Bing Crosby in the back ground,

But come on it's the 1st of September! Put a White-Merry Christmas on hold for now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Great thread! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Can this post be locked,summer only finished yesterday!!!

How can you be so bar humbug

Most shops are already looking at Easter orders and how can you denied people wanting to see this little fella back asap

post-7914-0-48392300-1409606494_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

....for wishing your life away.....

Wishing your life away?  Jeez, it's a bit of fun.  are people not allowed to look forward to a nice snowy Christmas or is that against the rules now?  People are already looking forward to next Spring and Summer.....does it really matter that much?  There are so many miserable, grumpy people on here.

Anyway, let's have the gales. rain, frost, snow, hail......all of it. Autumn is here and Winter's fast approaching......I hope they're long, cold ones.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Wishing your life away?  Jeez, it's a bit of fun.  are people not allowed to look forward to a nice snowy Christmas or is that against the rules now?  People are already looking forward to next Spring and Summer.....does it really matter that much?  There are so many miserable, grumpy people on here.

Anyway, let's have the gales. rain, frost, snow, hail......all of it. Autumn is here and Winter's fast approaching......I hope they're long, cold ones.

Yep simshady, just a bit of fun. Of all the folk in the land , Mancunians deserve a white Christmas ! I do remember it snowing heavily on Christmas Eve 1970 and getting stuck in Altrincham after the train ceased to run on the Manchester to Chester line. Put down about 4 inches. Unexpected snowfall for the location with a advected Easterly taking place, so unusual for the Manchester area to develop the snowfall, especially as no snow was falling east of the Pennines. Anyway walked 6 miles or so home in the snow and enjoyed every mile especially so when I got to the village pub to celebrate a very merry and snowy Christmas. A real surprise that one.

C

• Like 2

Posted

Yep simshady, just a bit of fun. Of all the folk in the land , Mancunians deserve a white Christmas ! I do remember it snowing heavily on Christmas Eve 1970 and getting stuck in Altrincham after the train ceased to run on the Manchester to Chester line. Put down about 4 inches. Unexpected snowfall for the location with a advected Easterly taking place, so unusual for the Manchester area to develop the snowfall, especially as no snow was falling east of the Pennines. Anyway walked 6 miles or so home in the snow and enjoyed every mile especially so when I got to the village pub to celebrate a very merry and snowy Christmas. A real surprise that one.

C

yes Carinthian. The surprise ones are always the best. The last time I saw any decent snow was in December 2010. Didn't even get any in March 2013 but hopefully this Winter. :)

its only abit of fun... iv been counting down to winter and christmas since late july lol

I think I've been counting down to Christmas since Summer too. :)  When you have children Christmas can be magical, especially if it snows. That's the icing on the cake so to speak. I don't mind a snowless Christmas and winter if it's cold but it does make it that little bit more special.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Nice to see a winter based thread not being locked and people being able to enjoy the weather on the run up to the time they enjoy the most. I'd agree, if you don't like these kind of threads its much simpler to avoid them than it is to moan about it. Here's Hoping for more winter threads!

I too have been counting down since mid year, the summer months do nothing for me at all. Really hoping we see some proper winter weather, even some typical autumn weather is a good start. After being spoiled with proper wintery weather in recent history the last couple of years has really been a let down!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

I'm dreeeeeeaming of a whi i i i i ite christmaaaass... :cold:  :yahoo:  :drinks:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Nothing at all? I got 20cm on the night of 22-23 March. Wow, just goes to show what a difference a few miles can make! :)

Anyway, my dream for this year would be for a huge snowstorm to arrive late-morning on Christmas Eve and to last through until midday on Christmas Day. A bit ambitious, but could happen!

ay it will happen but only in Scottish highlands, with the westerly being too mild under 300m

Posted
The computer says [issued 02/09/2014 15:16:59]

The regional Christmas weather predictions are updated daily using medium and long range forecast data. They may indicate very different prospects to the TWO forecast above. Who will be right?

It's expected to be too mild for snow in the south.

It's expected to be too mild for snow in Wales.

It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Midlands.

It's expected to be too mild for snow in the north.

Cold but dry conditions are expected in Scotland

It's expected to be too mild for snow in Northern Ireland.

It's expected to be too mild for snow in the Republic of Ireland.

Cold conditions in the Netherlands are expected. Marginal for rain or snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

I'll always remember 09-10 fondly. On the night the snow started heavily I saw he snow start and decided to head quickly in the car to Tesco (other supermarkets are available), which is about 4 miles away. By the time I had reached 3 miles the roads were thick with snow, I got stuck on a hill and needed a push. The last mile was treacherous, I even skidded into a barrier on a quiet and deserted road. Despite it all and a really dodgy journey home, it was one of the best weather events for me ever. So sudden and unexpected, no grit on roads as noone imagened it to hit so hard. Great night to be out, feeling the falling snow is one of the best feelings. I'll have more like that please!