Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

With Mogreps hinting and ensembles showing signs of the Atlantic not getting too far across the UK, are we seeing signs of a change. coldies?

post-15543-0-81092300-1416430617_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Yesterday there was no hope at all, today theirs excitement. A lot can happen in 24 hours!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Also excitement in the mod thread!

Yes although i'm being cautious at moment, more promising than the Atlantic onslaught which some were alluding too and models starting to show more runs with the Atlantic at full tilt! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I think I heard that next week is getting warmer, perhaps record breaking. Unless that was someone on a wind-up!  :closedeyes:  :shok:  :crazy:

This stemmed from a day or two ago where models were showing an evolution of a long-drawn southerly/South Easterly coming up over the UK from North Africa.

Similar to when cold shots from the North get moderated and watered down, it seems to be doing the same with the warmest uppers no longer making it to the UK. This is due to the Atlantic pressure patterns shunting it away over the continent before really impacting us (although mildish uppers still making it here for a time before a wedge of high pressure brings with it a cooler NW flow)

Edited by Chris K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Are we really looking at a decent cold spell people, I doubt it very much in the near future although late Dec into January I am a lot more confident.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

This feels like November 2010 all over again....... I hope

Things certainly seem to have perked up,hope it comes to something!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Buffalo has just had what I was hoping for during early winter! :cray: Although I was hoping for 80 inches of snow so they are 10 inches short! ha! :p

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

As much as the Buffalo weather looks like a wonderful thing,absolutely no chance could this country handle it. We would grind to a halt in very short time. Could you imagine this government trying to deal with it?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

WOW, thats brilliant isnt it. :cold: :cold: :bomb::good::D

I am so jealous of those im Buffalo right now!!!

• Like 2

Posted

We would cope. We did in 1947 just after a war! We did in 1962/63. We are just as capable of coping now. The main difference is that people seem to have a much much bigger capacity for complaining and moaning!

We didn't have the current absolute shower in 1947.  Can you imagine that lot in charge re-building the country after the war? 

Sorry have I gone a bit off topic?

Dragging it back on, Matt Hugo seems optimistic that we will get something eventually, but could be a long wait.  He likens it to waiting for a bus.  You know it will come, but when?  It never turned up at all last winter, but then no-one with any knowledge of the weather could say that this winter isn't likely to be very different to the last one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Great Link PW and cracking read, really incredible to see them chatting about 'feet' of snow. Makes us getting excited over a mere few inches look a tad ludicrous and rather desperate! ;):hi:   

As regarding your picture ,where I used to live we had to keep a shovel in the porch in case we had to get out.On one occasion there was a 12 inch gap that was clear of snow at the top of the door and another occasion[1979 I think] there was no gap at all !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

As regarding your picture ,where I used to live we had to keep a shovel in the porch in case we had to get out.On one occasion there was a 12 inch gap that was clear of snow at the top of the door and another occasion[1979 I think] there was no gap at all !!

Sounds absolutely amazing (would be great to see, do you have any pics?). Personally I have never experienced that amount of snow. Mainly due to living in the Midlands, although If I could persuade the wife to move to the Peak District I might well get to. Failing that, I'll emigrate to Buffalo! Lol!  :cold:  :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Sounds absolutely amazing (would be great to see, do you have any pics?). Personally I have never experienced that amount of snow. Mainly due to living in the Midlands, although If I could persuade the wife to move to the Peak District I might well get to. Failing that, I'll emigrate to Buffalo! Lol!  :cold:  :yahoo:

I don't have any of that ,I was only 10 at the time but I have some others from down the lane ,will have to dig them out,am sure there are other members on here that have some good ones.You don't have to travel far from the midlands to find snow and am guessing you are younger than 35 so you wont have seen any real winters yet even in the midlands!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

^^

Already been posted on last page - what a stonker!!!!  The only time I have ever experienced 'proper' thundersnow was the Saturday of December the 8th 1990 in B'ham at about 3am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Yesterday there was no hope at all, today theirs excitement. A lot can happen in 24 hours!

and now theirs no hope again :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

I don't have any of that ,I was only 10 at the time but I have some others from down the lane ,will have to dig them out,am sure there are other members on here that have some good ones.You don't have to travel far from the midlands to find snow and am guessing you are younger than 35 so you wont have seen any real winters yet even in the midlands!!

Aha, I wish I was younger than 35! Not far off though at 38. But you are right, I have missed all of the greatest Winters although I do have fond memories of those in and around the mid 80's, + the monster dumping we had just before Xmas one December in the early 90's, tho' it didn't last long. I have always loved Winter and cold weather and couldn't get enough of December 2010, probably the best cold spell I have lived through with a white Xmas to boot! 

I am keeping everything crossed for this Winter and reckon we'll see some descent cold and snowy weather at some point, but we may have to be patient. Last Winter was just the most painful ever!  :friends:  :cold:

Posted

Interesting reading that councils are preparing by getting snow blades to put on their ride on lawn mowers, turning them into mini snow ploughs. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-30073596

Edited by andy989