Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

I'll admit I do ask a lot of questions yes. It's just that I'm very keen to learn. Apologies if I am posting these questions in the wrong thread. I'm still new here, so I hope you'll understand that I'm still finding my way around the site. Where is the best place for me to post such questions? Thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I'll admit I do ask a lot of questions yes. It's just that I'm very keen to learn. Apologies if I am posting these questions in the wrong thread. I'm still new here, so I hope you'll understand that I'm still finding my way around the site. Where is the best place for me to post such questions? Thanks :)

You could use the learners area where I'm sure some of the more experienced members will offer you as much help as needed - https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/69-learners-area/

:)

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

Thank you for that.

Edited by November2005Fan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

our country would grind to a halt if we had that.

Only the top inch or two would probably bring chaos to much of this country.

It's just a shame that we don't seem to be getting the opportunity to find out although it's early days yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Posted

Great link, thanks. It's funny how they talk of temps in single digits, it doesn't seem so cold in Fahrenheit until you change it to centigrade.

That Lake Effect snow is amazing and late autumn/early winter is the best before the Lake temps fall, or freeze which shuts off that snow machine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Amazes me how a continent 3000 miles across can have snow from coast to coast and yet we struggle to get a fall to cover more than a few counties.

Over there it crosses huge mountain ranges, here it can't seem to make it over the Pennines.

Obviously lake effect plays a major role but we are surrounded, certainly on two sides by thousands of miles of water with some of it coming right from the pole and still we can't get the goods, even in moderate amounts.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Absolutely brilliant!! :clap:  And when us snow starved people of Britain finally get a stonking cold beasterly later this December, travelling across the North Sea which is currently at 13C - 14C (+4C above the long term temp for this time of year) we'll get our very own 'lake effect' with buckets of snow.

(And then I woke up.... :(  )

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Great link, thanks. It's funny how they talk of temps in single digits, it doesn't seem so cold in Fahrenheit until you change it to centigrade.

That Lake Effect snow is amazing and late autumn/early winter is the best before the Lake temps fall, or freeze which shuts off that snow machine.

No probs mate.

What I would give for that , true lake affect snow is the most exciting weather on earth .

At least this year we have a winter full of potential , we're in a good place this time round at least , nice to see genuine pointers this year , whereas last year really was hope casting from me and everyone else I think !

Iv been a quiet so far but everyone is doing such a fantastic job of analysing the situ I really haven't felt the need yet ! Roll on December now

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing pictures from across the pond and puts into perspective how awful our climate is for serious weather buffs, obviously if you like mild and wet then your in seventh heaven year round.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!!  :clapping:  :clapping:

I SO DESPERATE FOR IT!!!  :(

I have change my location, looked out of the window hasn't worked yet   :sorry:

• Like 7

Posted

Out of interest, does anyone know if the USA had extreme cold/snow during notable winters for us such as 47/63/09/10? 

• Like 1

Posted

Out of interest, does anyone know if the USA had extreme cold/snow during notable winters for us such as 47/63/09/10? 

I have searched and still am, cant seem to find anything. Probably because I dont know where to look

Amazes me how a continent 3000 miles across can have snow from coast to coast and yet we struggle to get a fall to cover more than a few counties.

Over there it crosses huge mountain ranges, here it can't seem to make it over the Pennines.

Obviously lake effect plays a major role but we are surrounded, certainly on two sides by thousands of miles of water with some of it coming right from the pole and still we can't get the goods, even in moderate amounts.

Not to the same extent of course, but when NNW winds blow into western areas with a cold polar blast, the Pembrokeshire dangler can set up and 4-6 inches of snow is more than possible overnight.

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/216

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4470188.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4468222.stm

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/snow_info.php

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

We do get sudden heavy snowfalls in the UK too. A couple of examples occurred in back to back winters here in Essex, first of all in late Jan/Feb 2003:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2712045.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2708283.stm

And a year later:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3440449.stm

I remember both vividly, but particularly 2004 where an inch of snow fell in around 10 minutes, and around 4-6 inches fell overall in just a couple of hours. You could see it coming down the road from the North like a cloud, with some associated snowfall too.

However of course it does not stack up to anything like what is experienced over in the Great Lakes, where perfect geography plays its part.

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My goodness Buffalo. One word - Jealous!!!!

Posted

I guess it's because they get cold lasting long enough to eventually have a fall, and lows/fronts that give wide-scale precipitation don't so often drag in warmer air from the warm seas like they usually do here.

We can get quite deep lake effect falls occasionally.. For example Late November/Early December 2010, up to 1m observed depths at 30 secs into this forecast: 

Of course we need to get the cold first which can be rather hard...

Apparently SE Dartmoor had a level fall of 6 feet once, the highest recorded in the UK.

Likely to up to 100" of snow in North Buffalo by the time the next storm has moved through. I would advise any active weather fan to check out this thread from the American version of Netweather - Americanwx. 

Check out this thread from about Page 4-5-6 onwards, it's worth 20 minutes of any snow fans time!! To give people an idea.... http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44743-upstate-nynorth-country-adjacent-on-qc-vt-end-of-fallinto-winter/page-6

1404671_10152820028270359_40466850043873

B2vL3vHIYAAJ1ZY.jpg

#

10437737_10152435395076892_5413426695814

6272_10152541879586309_45404459496115311

IMG_20141118_132250_1.jpg

Remarkable scenes... Imagine how annoyed you would be if you were in the 4-8 inch zone just outside that 70+ inch zone lol...

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

drive safely mate. I am so so jealous, I have been researching lake snow effect and it is amazing.  

I find having about 10 pints before I set off , calms the nerves