Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

At this time of year I see geese flying North most mornings. Then again I also see them flying South most evenings. They roost overnight in the fields and on a loch to the south of our village but feed during the day on the coast to the north east of the village, so it's not because they've suddenly got lost or something.

Yeah, I assumed they were heading to Holkham or elsewhere on the North Norfolk coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

I'm liking the observation ....... lovely dog btw

I'm hoping for the cold (and hopefully snow) for Dec/Jan and then sudden warming/spring in Feb :-D

My first post in this thread

i have noticed something different in the last few weeks to this time last year,and that is my dog(Alaskan malamute) has not shed a hair,where as last year i got bags full off him,that tells me winter is coming and maybe he senses it

here is my pooch

attachicon.gifDSCF0360.JPG

Edited by > mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I've got this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that the long range models night be onto something for the majority of this winter and if we are to see any sustained cold then December may well  be the month, more so with the projected wave activity occurring in the Stratosphere and subsequent warming on the  Canadian side that may follow. Could we see a watered down version of December 2010 and then what followed thereafter?

Oh lord I hope not, let's at least have a wintry January. Besides the ridiculously wet second half of December, winter 2012-2013 was near-ideal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

i have noticed something different in the last few weeks to this time last year,and that is my dog(Alaskan malamute) has not shed a hair,where as last year i got bags full off him,that tells me winter is coming and maybe he senses it

here is my pooch

Aha, wonderful looking dog. I have 16 month Golden Retriever (see avatar) and was absolutely gutted he didn't get to see any snow last winter, I hope this winter more than makes up for it. His winter coat has now come through already so all being well he'll be sensing something is on the way also. Had a wonderful frosty walk with him at 6.30 am this morning. You can't beat a good cold crispy morning.  :friends:  :cold:

• Like 5

Posted

Aha, wonderful looking dog. I have 16 month Golden Retriever (see avatar) and was absolutely gutted he didn't get to see any snow last winter, I hope this winter more than makes up for it. His winter coat has now come through already so all being well he'll be sensing something is on the way also. Had a wonderful frosty walk with him at 6.30 am this morning. You can't beat a good cold crispy morning.  :friends:  :cold:

Me too out at 6 this morning with the dogs making the most of it and loved it :D hope we get more of it though

• Like 1

Posted

If it's any consolation, my cat is shedding fur like nobody's business! The recent warm conditions have probably caused it, so I'd say there's nowt in it.

Mapantz, I am much relieved that your cat is shedding.

That means we are about to get prolonged severe cold and snowy weather. She is clearly preparing to stay indoors by the fire 24/7 for at least 18 weeks. Only the huskies will be venturing outside to bring back slabs of seal meat from the frozen shores of Arne, quite a trek from Barnsley I know, but worth it when the N Sea ports are closed to shipping because of dangerous pack-ice. LoL

On  a nature related line - hedgerow nuts and berries have been prodigious this year - clearly the result of appropriate spring and summer conditions but can those conditions pattern match to a harder winter and therefore support folklore? Perhaps this is natures equation to align with man's OPI study.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I have hopes it will not be a cold as a few years back, my heating bill last year was far more bank balance friendly for a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Got a good feeling about this winter. Something is definitely brewing out there......

• Like 1

Posted

here is my pooch

Your dog is gorgeous. 

• Like 1

Posted

Golden retriever's are fantastic and absolutely love snow especially digging in it,so hopefully yours will get his chance this winter. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Ian F makes his first post for months in the MOD thread, the same day the 12z's start showing some 'interest'!

A coincidence? .... I think not.

Winter is coming!  :cold:

post-18296-0-42470800-1415301249_thumb.j

post-18296-0-13677400-1415301260_thumb.j

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Ian F makes his first post for months in the MOD thread, the same day the 12z's start showing some 'interest'!

A coincidence? .... I think not.

Winter is coming! :cold:

Well, his post was most likely to try and settle the silly season posts a bit. As he eluded to (and agreed with Gibby) rainfall could be a problem within the foreseeable. I don't think he came on to specifically cut the cold ribbons just yet, as it is only November.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Well, his post was most likely to try and settle the silly season posts a bit. As he eluded to (and agreed with Gibby) rainfall could be a problem within the foreseeable. I don't think he came on to specifically cut the cold ribbons just yet, as it is only November.

I guess he wasn't cutting the cold ribbons as such, but always nice to see him posting again (a sure sign Winter is near) as he very rarely posts during any other season.

Anyway, as i said, great to see him back  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Seen no frost at all yet morning as the cloud rolls in.

A few years ago like late 00`s there was frost in September.

September 1986 gave us many ground and air frosts the following January gave one of the coldest 10 days ever in southern England !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Anyway, as i said, great to see him back  :good:

Yup yup! Very valued posts on here, always lucky to get a bit of inside information. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yup, always enjoy FW's most useful insight stroke reality check posts :)

Quick question as an aside, when did the constant train of LP systems begin last Autumn/Winter? Before many of us lost count of them all...

I think it was sometime in October?

You can view that sort of stuff here...

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?mode=2&month=10&day=16&year=2013&map=4

Edit: Oops, link won't show charts past October 31st 2013  :doh: But as you can see, LP systems started to attack the UK during October

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 1

Posted

Is it just me or do certain posters on the model output thread always say that its mild and be negative? It seems like some can never say cold is coming. 

I think some might even be trying to wind people up.And whats with people saying to reserve the cold for December? It is 6th November and days are less than 9 hours long now, of course snow can stick around now if its cold. 

Edited by Winter Frost
  • Like 5

Posted

Is it just me or do certain posters on the model output thread always say that its mild and be negative? It seems like some can never say cold is coming. 

I think some might even be trying to wind people up.

No it's not just you. There does seem a few posters are trying to wind people up - easy to do in winter if you are desparately hoping for cold and snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yeah can we go back to the topic please? If you've got issues with posts or certain posters, hit the report button or PM one of the team.

Cheers

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

here is my pooch

Oh!!, i forgot to mention that he lives outside 24/7 on a north facing wall out of the sun,he doesn't like being indoors as it is too warm for him.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

September 1986 gave us many ground and air frosts the following January gave one of the coldest 10 days ever in southern England !!!

Agreed about September 1986 that was the coldest for early frosts,killed the leaves from the trees never forget that as ever with extreme events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

my pet spider said something about cold

:laugh: 

post-15172-0-59988900-1415311890_thumb.j

• Like 1