Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Blimey, the Great Lakes really do make the most amazing snow machines! Will definitely have go and visit this part of the States during Winter some time. Truly a mouth watering amount of snow and am just way too jealous right now!!!  :cold:  :friends:  :crazy:

Posted

I find having about 10 pints before I set off , calms the nerves 

LoL, are you still ok in your Tardis after 10 pints Stew?

The penny has to drop soon :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

I have searched and still am, cant seem to find anything. Probably because I dont know where to look

USA Data.  http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/

UK Data   http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1975_1999.htm#1975_1979     This link will go back as far as You want or upto present day.

ENJOY.

Posted

USA Data.  http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/

UK Data   http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1975_1999.htm#1975_1979     This link will go back as far as You want or upto present day.

ENJOY.

Many thanks for that. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

LoL, are you still ok in your Tardis after 10 pints Stew?

The penny has to drop soon :whistling:

Only if I look outside , keeping the curtains drawn  :sorry:

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

As for my Winters Hopes, Well batter be better than the last load of Rubbish, "One" Just (1) Bleedin Frost, Then Mild, and  So the Wind kicked in Along with the lovely Rain as Atlantic low bus after Atlantic low bus came through. My lovely fence followed gravity from the Winds opinion. Still bring me a 2009/10 or 2010/11 Winter and I will forgive. :cold:  :yahoo:

Posted

Likely to up to 100" of snow in North Buffalo by the time the next storm has moved through. I would advise any active weather fan to check out this thread from the American version of Netweather - Americanwx. 

Check out this thread from about Page 4-5-6 onwards, it's worth 20 minutes of any snow fans time!! To give people an idea.... http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44743-upstate-nynorth-country-adjacent-on-qc-vt-end-of-fallinto-winter/page-6

1404671_10152820028270359_40466850043873

B2vL3vHIYAAJ1ZY.jpg

#

10437737_10152435395076892_5413426695814

6272_10152541879586309_45404459496115311

IMG_20141118_132250_1.jpg

Great Link PW and cracking read, really incredible to see them chatting about 'feet' of snow. Makes us getting excited over a mere few inches look a tad ludicrous and rather desperate! ;):hi:   

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Amazes me how a continent 3000 miles across can have snow from coast to coast and yet we struggle to get a fall to cover more than a few counties.

Over there it crosses huge mountain ranges, here it can't seem to make it over the Pennines.

Obviously lake effect plays a major role but we are surrounded, certainly on two sides by thousands of miles of water with some of it coming right from the pole and still we can't get the goods, even in moderate amounts.

North American weather fronts are far more potent than our own. Our weather fronts are puny and insignificant in comparison.

spare a thought for snow fans in Seattle though - they are further north than any other major US city but thanks to the Cascade mountains and slight warming effect of the North Pacific Current, they almost never join in on the fun, instead  getting rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

North American weather fronts are far more potent than our own. Our weather fronts are puny and insignificant in comparison.

spare a thought for snow fans in Seattle though - they are further north than any other major US city but thanks to the Cascade mountains and slight warming effect of the North Pacific Current, they almost never join in on the fun, instead  getting rain.

Yeah, no idea how people are sleepless in Seattle. Nothing to stay up for.

• Like 4

Posted

Since this seems to be focussed on an American theme, have a read of Dr Ventrice's latest blog on the December outlook for the US.

The headline is about the massive Indian Ocean MJO event that is forecast.

http://www.wsi.com/blog/energy/sub-seasonal-u-s-temperature-outlook-through-mid-december/

spHjc8y.gif

Being that an IO, MJO gave us our only, northerly dominated, below average month this year (August) and that the portrayed US temperature departure for December looks nothing like the pattern of last December - which some fear will take hold - what might be on our menu for December?

December high amplitude phase 2.    sLe6UUG.gif

December high amplitude phase 3. h0edRQY.gif

Composites from http://www.americanwx.com/raleighwx/MJO/MJO.html

Another source of composites that are less familiar on here from JMA. Z500  and T2m anomaly.

KREkEkH.png ZEoKqr3.png

If that should transpire as illustrated, nothing at all like last December - a gradually cooling picture under a nice seasonal, frosty high.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I hope for a repeat of 2013-2014 without the rain. No snow again for an entire winter would be nice!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Palm tree in your avatar does semi reveal all - that there's a palm tree in your avatar :)

Anyone dare say one of the mildest Winters on record...for the record mind.

Seeing as every month this year bar May and August has been above average, it may be possible! :D

• Like 2

Posted

In a way it would be good to have another frost-less winter, but the implications for pests and diseases on plants has been horrific this summer, so another year without frosts to kill aphids off and such, would be terrible for the horticultural industry.

Posted

Likely to up to 100" of snow in North Buffalo by the time the next storm has moved through. I would advise any active weather fan to check out this thread from the American version of Netweather - Americanwx. 

Check out this thread from about Page 4-5-6 onwards, it's worth 20 minutes of any snow fans time!! To give people an idea.... http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44743-upstate-nynorth-country-adjacent-on-qc-vt-end-of-fallinto-winter/page-6

Incredible stuff there,pinched this picture from that thread which sums it up well. :shok:

• Like 5

Posted

I'd like to offer some hope for coldies this winter.I'm off to Lithuania for a huge family reunion on my wife's side. I'm 43 and I have never seen a white Christmas in the UK and always stayed at home. This year, sod's law dictates snow will fall at Christmas and it will be nice and cold in the UK. I'm going to stick a bet on to soften the blow :).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

ITV news have just broken cover and ramped it for next week.

Not quite sure why..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

ITV news have just broken cover and ramped it for next week.

Not quite sure why..

Ramped what exactly?, haven't seen it but surely they haven't got 'Beast from the East' style headlines, there is zero chance of a potent cold spell next week, any good charts for next week are to be welcomed but they would only be building block charts via stratospheric feedback, ie - wave breaking from the trop.

Posted

Absolutely love this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6oXJcg7aM#t=76 Some people get all the luck hey!  :cold:   :good:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Stand by folks MOGREPS maybe coming on board

@EssexWeather: Met Office ensemble (MOGREPS) hinting towards the end of the run that high pressure may end up in a favourable position for cold.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted

I think I heard that next week is getting warmer, perhaps record breaking. Unless that was someone on a wind-up!  :closedeyes:  :shok:  :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

I hope for a repeat of 2013-2014 without the rain. No snow again for an entire winter would be nice!

I hope you don't get what you hope for :)

I think I heard that next week is getting warmer, perhaps record breaking. Unless that was someone on a wind-up!  :closedeyes:  :shok:  :crazy:

Sounds like a wind up, even if the Atlantic wins it will still be average at best.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Ramped what exactly?, haven't seen it but surely they haven't got 'Beast from the East' style headlines, there is zero chance of a potent cold spell next week, any good charts for next week are to be welcomed but they would only be building block charts via stratospheric feedback, ie - wave breaking from the trop.

Severe cold they are saying..

Posted

I hope you don't get what you hope for :)

Sounds like a wind up, even if the Atlantic wins it will still be average at best.

Thanks Barry95, thought that might be the case  :hi: