Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

All I've heard on the radio and tv is how winter has been written off ,it's a wet mild damp winter! Noooo can't cope with another one like last year!

Let them carry on - the weather usually ends up doing the opposite :laugh:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

All I've heard on the radio and tv is how winter has been written off ,it's a wet mild damp winter! Noooo can't cope with another one like last year!

Thats a good sign tho as the media are normally always wrong....last winter was meant to be the worst in a hundred years with 100 days of snow and ice..

Arctic storms you name it it was coming....we all know what happened next...this year is different the PV has been and continues to be all over the place not organised in any way....back ground signals are in our favour OPI SAI etc etc pop over to the Strat thread some great work going on in there...i for one would be totally shocked if we dont get at least one cracking cold and snowy spell during DJF....its not even winter yet so how can it be over already??

Edited by bigsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

Let's face it, newspapers love extremes. Once we've had one extreme they get a bit carried away, and they think the same thing will keep happening over and over again. That's my view. :good:

• Like 3

Posted

It makes a nice change they are saying that really, I'm sick of reading OTT cold weather predictions without a lot of substance behind it. 

As the general rule of thumb, its not what people say, its what those weather charts say in the short term really! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

Is there any correlation, I wonder, between exceptionally warm years on the globe resulting in cold winters in the UK? I know 2010 was quite a warm year across the globe, but is this just coincidence?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Is there any correlation, I wonder, between exceptionally warm years on the globe resulting in cold winters in the UK? I know 2010 was quite a warm year across the globe, but is this just coincidence?

There's no correlation. It's just a coincidence.

Posted

Thanks Barry. I just wondered whether there was a correlation, as we are always being told that a warmer world means more extremes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Thanks Barry. I just wondered whether there was a correlation, as we are always being told that a warmer world means more extremes.

Last Winter was extreme, but not for cold :angry:

Edited by Barry95

Posted

Yes I know last year was extreme. But if a warmer world is going to lead to more extremes, is one extreme going to become more likely than another extreme, if you know what I mean...? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

There seems to be some feeling around the threads the AO is about to collapse and move towards a more cold bringing shape.

I'm quite new to AO reading but I know it can have a huge effect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

There was not a single air frost recorded in the month of November 1946just saying :)

What anywhere or at one particular spot which is not unusual?

Posted

Is this due to Global Warming I wonder, or just natural variability...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Is this due to Global Warming I wonder, or just natural variability...?

Let's not go down this road on this thread please

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I'm liking the look of early December so far.. mild south westerlies are just what we need. Apart from keeping heating bills down, it is also much more pleasant to go out in  :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Some pics from the US... wow.

640x635_11181255_buffsnowdoor.jpg

640x541_11181259_snowbuff.jpg

Some places have had as much as 70 inches and its only November! We can only dream of seeing that much snow, even in the harshest of Winters! They are very lucky peeps on the other side of the pond, thats for sure  :spiteful:   :hi:   :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

What's responsible for the lack of cold nights and frosts this season?

Posted

You do ask loads of questions? This thread is not really the place for this sort of discussion. Well we have mostly had southwesterly winds, right now we are under a continental influence however the continent is not cold enough to import anything special, it is only November... Give it time :) Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The easiest answer is cloud cover and the persistent mild feed of air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Some pics from the US... wow.

640x635_11181255_buffsnowdoor.jpg

640x541_11181259_snowbuff.jpg

I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!!  :clapping:  :clapping:

I SO DESPERATE FOR IT!!!  :(

• Like 1