Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Some of them on the mod thread are so tragic, loads of trolls just seeking attention or to wind others up.

November normally is a wet month and December can be a mixed bag with the odd fleeting cold snaps, most of the time January is when the fun and games begin. I'm staying very optimistic about this winter, the opi team says so ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

!981/2 started before Christmas.....I liked that one :)

December 10th 1981 on the way to college bus skidded across the snowy icy road. Mums  birthday remember it well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

There are specific temperatures for each season which the Met Office use, somewhere is a copy on Net Wx. I will see if I can find it and post in here.

that did not work will have to save to a file and then post-give me a bit of time?

attachicon.gifTemp definitions.doc

Thanks. So mild is defined by Met Office as 2-3C above the average temperature for the time of year. Kind of how I would have defined it, although I'd probably have gone for 3-4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well, according to some in the MOD thread tonight...winter is over. Well, yeah. It's not wintery outside at the moment because....IT STILL HASN'T BEGUN. Some people are embarassing on the thread...truly. 

11th of November - who cares what happened last year, or for the previous 20 years before. This winter could still be a repeat of last year...or 1947.  :clapping:

It's the 12th today not the 11th so maybe thats whats tipped them over the edge.... :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Cold clustering developing on the de bilt ensembles, maybe depicting the next undercutting attempt.

pluim_06260_0_00_60.png

• Like 1

Posted

December 10th 1981 on the way to college bus skidded across the snowy icy road. Mums  birthday remember it well

Remember it well also stew, '81 was my first year in work after leaving school in the summer.  Also them days you left school and got a job, apart from the 5% of very clever kids who went onto university .....................................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

RE John Hammond....I noticed the same thing last night and noted it in here. Ties in with the intimation from SnowBallz yesterday on interesting signals emerging into December. Obviously if these are only just emerging, there likely won't be any hints in the extended Metoffice forecast yet.

• Like 2

Posted

Well im resorting to watching 'The Day After Tomorrow' now there is some cold and snow on offer.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well im resorting to watching 'The Day After Tomorrow' now there is some cold and snow on offer.........

I'd Settle for Narnia  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting thoughts - there are certainly some similarities with now and 2009, Nov 2009 being exceptionally wet with an equally locked in disruptive trough to our west.

Posted

Taken from an experimental statistical summary. Of course all bases are covered, the sum of probabilities needs to total 100% 

Folks? I think you'll find it's a one-man bedsit operation. 

OK here is my experimental  statistical forecast for the first half of winter based on probabilities.

Dryer than average  20%

Wetter than average 20%

cooler than average  20%

milder than average  20%

windier than average  20%

Hope that helps, ps any agencies wishing to purchase the full winter  forecast, please don't bother.

• Like 1

Posted

Well at work they have given us a forecast out till February, I work for coop. They are saying wetter and milder for the reminder of November and the start of December . Then a pattern change may follow from mid December with the chance of cold or very cold period with the chance of very snowy interludes, a milder start to January before the cold bites back from mid Jan early Feb with a mild and often wet end to Feb ill take that looool

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Which agency is the forecast from?

Posted

Which agency is the forecast from?

probably the Madden forecast agency, they can see into the future...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Remember it well also stew, '81 was my first year in work after leaving school in the summer.  Also them days you left school and got a job, apart from the 5% of very clever kids who went onto university .....................................

Yes I was only good enough for a Poly  :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php :shok: Interesting video that brings hope of something snowy for December! :bomb::cold: :cold:

Only 30% sadly, as he says - very interesting but we need 101 pieces to fit together and with any given one missing we just stay mild. The perils of getting cold to the UK! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather (i.e nothing that deviates too much from the norm)

If I remember right, last November saw a slightly below average CET for November...? However, the following winter, December-January-February, went on to be very mild. This November, however it is looking like being an above average month temperature wise. I am guessing that we will have a very mediocre December this year, with temperatures trending very near average.

I think a change could take place in the new year with the run of above average months finally coming to an end. February will probably be the first month to achieve a below average outcome, albeit only slightly below average. January, I think, will end up slightly milder than average, but the cold will come in the last 10 days.

In summary: I think the Atlantic will gradually lose it's strength as the winter progress (as you would expect on average). As the Atlantic cools down - I have read some reports that a NNAO might come into play in the new year! - high pressure will have more of an influence on our weather.

I think there won't be much snowfall, but plenty of dry but cold conditions. I think a 'cloudy high' will come into play at some point in December, probably after a rather unsettled start. The high will be centred slightly to the west of the UK, meaning that daytime temperatures will typically be around 6-8c, any clearing skies at night though are likely to result in patchy frost and fog, and daytime temperatures could be pegged back a little further in places where the fog is slow to clear.

All guesswork, I admit, but based on reports and articles I've read!

Edited by November2005Fan
  • Like 1

Posted

Off topic but....We are looking to move house via social housing swapping....the wife just said "ive had a message from somebody that wants to swap a house in the highlands" now as a coldie im packed already....if i pull this one off i must be a dead cert for cold and snow every winter....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

We have lots of pieces of the jigsaw puzzle; unfortunately, they're all either blue sky or blue water... :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well if it's of any use, today is the first day that the CFS monthly anomaly for December has flipped to show N blocking after weeks of a more unsettled pattern.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Well if it's of any use, today is the first day that the CFS monthly anomaly for December has flipped to show N blocking after weeks of a more unsettled pattern.

Yes it is of use, not because I rate it, I don't, but this is about the time it usually latches on to the correct pattern broadly speaking, after months of toing and froing, now some might say that's harsh on a model as how do you expect it to pick out a pattern at 3 months away, but my argument is why does it go out that far then, anyway the upshot is it has probably latched on to the correct pattern now.