Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

As it is Saturday afternoon and I'm waiting for the washing machine to finish, I watched Joe Bastradi's winter forecast on his website. He is predicting a US winter akin to 1977/78. He suggests that the models are having a difficult time at the moment due to the southern oscillation crashing and an easterly phase of the QBO. For the UK, that winter was very cold and snowy in January and February 1978. Could the same happen in early 2015? Who knows! I'm going to load the tumble dryer.

Yes just watched that link, looks positive for our neck of the woods with a negative pressure anomaly over Hudson bay and positive pressure anomolies over Greenland/Iceland and over the poles. Heres the link  http://www.weatherbell.com/saturday-summary-october-25-2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Things seems really much more unsettled and wintry alreat this year compared to last, which is great, but even for me its a bit early. Best to get the wild stuff out of the way so we can have some nice calm for December. I want still, cold and snowy, the wind and rain doesn't do it for me I'm afraid

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I hope that I get to see at least one snowflake by the end of 2014...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Well lets hope that the wild and wet stuf doesn't last till April this time round. Last winter was mor autumn than winter. Interesting thoughts by RJS over on the seasonal forecast thread sound good though I hope it's going to be nice and snowy winter this1. hopefully things like the strat will play ball this time around and we don't land on the mild side of any blocks if any sets up. Well folks as we just entered gmt just over 7mins ago enjoy your extra hour in bed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just watched gavs latest model update for winter and 9 out of the 10 models are going for above average winter again. Not a great outlook for winter at all. Think this opi might be our only hope now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Still quite early, but it might be interesting to see if this develops any further...

post-21671-0-46738000-1414169695.png

Possibly the first snowfalls to northern and eastern areas, at the start of November? About nine days out, so a bit out of the reliable zone, but certainly a possibility.

post-21671-0-80816700-1414319957.png

Ya mentioned a few days ago "Interesting to see if this develops any further..." Certainly developing & Certainly looking interesting :cold: :cold: :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Just watched gavs latest model update for winter and 9 out of the 10 models are going for above average winter again. Not a great outlook for winter at all. Think this opi might be our only hope now.

'our only hope' ?

Come on , show me any long range forecast that's been remotely accurate over a period of time and I'll write winter off as well.

Lets write 2014/15 winter off in April 2015 not Oct 2014 ?

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest winter outlook from Gavin Partridge

Out of the 10 models featured only 1 out of 10 goes for a cold winter which is Jamstec all the rest are showing a mild winter

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Terrier you said the same thing last wk. in fact every week , you obviously haven't got a clue how to read signals , stratosphere impact , -QBO , and the fantastic correlation of the OPI ,all the major signals pointing to an interesting winter to say the least .

Computer models have a verification stat that's best left in the cats litter tray .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well there is always the hope the seasonal models are wrong and given they are worse than useless on average and flip on a whim it is not a forlorn one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

To be honest I'd rather have at least a few long range models on side at this point. It is worth remembering the likes of OPI are even more experimental than the said models people are trashing.

• Like 4

Posted

After watching Gavs 2nd winter model update it's only the Jamstec that has anything remotely wintry for us and the the whole of mainland Europe. With the OPI looking at being between -2.0/-2.5 this, without exception from the sample data we have, will deliver some colder than average months to Europe even if we are unlucky and miss out with the bulk of the cold plunging SW through Europe and in to France. As Steve said with the potential for one super AO and at least 2 junior AO's, a strong negative QBO, a developing although weak El Niño, fairly low sunspot activity and great advance of snow build up through Siberia I am quietly optimistic we will see something very good through the winter period although maybe towards the mid/latter end.

Clem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

'our only hope' ?

Come on , show me any long range forecast that's been remotely accurate over a period of time and I'll write winter off as well.

Absolutely.... Gavin's headlines for the of Winter 2013-2014, Issued on 1st December 2013, Seasonal Forecast... The forecast predicts the possibility of an average to slightly colder than average winter this year and the possibility of it being very dry, too........ :rofl:  So, so glad Gavin is going for mild one this year... This Reverse psychology ain't half catching :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 6

Posted

'our only hope' ?

Lets write 2014/15 winter off in April 2015 not Oct 2014 ?

Looking at the Met Office's forecast for Winter 2013/14 issued in November 13, you can see how useless these things are

post-22342-0-44528900-1414326582_thumb.jpost-22342-0-28183400-1414326590_thumb.j 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Its just purely guesswork from the models at this long out IMO. We saw how many of them balls'd up last winter!! 

As long as we can get lowering the heights in the Mediterranean and a more Southerly tracking jet, and in turn, prop the heights up to the North (Greenland/Iceland/Scandinavia) then we should be cooking with gas for some cold shots. I would bank on seeing more snow than last winter anyway, thats for sure!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

After watching Gavs 2nd winter model update it's only the Jamstec that has anything remotely wintry for us and the the whole of mainland Europe. With the OPI looking at being between -2.0/-2.5 this, without exception from the sample data we have, will deliver some colder than average months to Europe even if we are unlucky and miss out with the bulk of the cold plunging SW through Europe and in to France. As Steve said with the potential for one super AO and at least 2 junior AO's, a strong negative QBO, a developing although weak El Niño, fairly low sunspot activity and great advance of snow build up through Siberia I am quietly optimistic we will see something very good through the winter period although maybe towards the mid/latter end.

Clem

I would not count on sunspot activity working in our favour. Current: post-14819-0-88641000-1414326772_thumb.j

A recent headline: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/9831/20141024/nasa-notices-largest-sunspot-decades.htm

Last year's washout will not happen this year, well at least not for the same reasons, but there are very few positive signals from the LR models, so its a case of fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

I number of those LRF's just don't look right, and some have changed considerably from 30 days ago. I remember CFS last year was going for a cold winter in NW Europe and how wrong was that. Interesting nonetheless but if the Elnino materialises and we have a -NAO if will be very different to those forecasts. Will beinteresting to see the next forecasts at the end of November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Looking at the Met Office's forecast for Winter 2013/14 issued in November 13, you can see how useless these things are

attachicon.gifMet Office 2013-14.jpgattachicon.gifMet Office 2013-14 Temp.jpg

I respect any long range forecast and I do believe in terms of trends many of the better researched ones are getting better

But a small Island like ours a low going 250 miles further south east can make the difference  between drizzle and 4c and a snow fest at -2c.  A drive to 600ft can also make all the difference.

Its why 'the British' are seen to be so obsessed with the weather and why folk in Saudi Arabia are not.

Two week forecast Hot and sunny but 'maybe' broken clouds on the 7th Nov. Getting excited about broken clouds two weeks hence I'll stick to ours.

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/saudi-arabia/dammam/ext

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

With respect to long range forecast, maybe many should ask those across the pond in the US on how the long range models did. I would expect the complete opposite reaction to here.

A Pacific ridge/US trough is not a particularly good omen for NW Europe unless you can get heights building to the north east of the UK to deflect the strong Atlantic jet south to bring cold in from the east. Simply put a Greenland high was never on last year. A Scandi high was a possibility and in fact we did get one

archives-2014-1-20-0-0.png

Trouble was we were just too far west to benefit and in fact resulted in record breaking rainfall as low pressure disrupted over the UK with slow moving fronts carrying heavy rain.

• Like 1

Posted

I would not count on sunspot activity working in our favour. Current: attachicon.gifmdi_sunspots.jpg

A recent headline: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/9831/20141024/nasa-notices-largest-sunspot-decades.htm

Last year's washout will not happen this year, well at least not for the same reasons, but there are very few positive signals from the LR models, so its a case of fingers crossed.

Agree. Certainly has been an upward tick at the mo. Need it quieten like it did 13/14.

post-12839-0-50260200-1414328059_thumb.j

Edited by Fingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

Just out of curiosity what is input into the long range models?

At the moment we have seem to have a number of factors hinting at a colder winter or at least factors that make it more of a possibility for us. I understand the OPI won't be factored in but with promising signs from other things such as the SAI, an easterly based QBO, weakish El nino, and perhaps a stratosphere that appears more likely to play ball what are we missing?

I was under the impression the long range models take all of the above into account and going off some of the excellent posts on this forum (which are miles ahead of my level of knowledge), you would expect the models to be hinting at something a bit more wintery. So is there something they take into account that has being missed on the forum?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

According to Stan Collymore winter is here, yes he just said that on Talksport, 14C------->  :cold:  :rofl:

The bloke is a grade A prat at the best of times.

• Like 1