Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Bloody hell, the latest Glosea update is grim. Can't post charts as on phone but the NAO is very, very positive. Deep LP anomaly around Greenland and Iceland with HP shunted further S in Atlantic. It's as flat as a witch's t*t in all honesty.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Bloody hell, the latest Glosea update is grim. Can't post charts as on phone but the NAO is very, very positive. Deep LP anomaly around Greenland and Iceland with HP shunted further S in Atlantic. It's as flat as a witch's t*t in all honesty.

seems to me that we are heading towards a winter very similar to last year again. Shouldn't be too surprised though. As our default weather in the uk is westerly dominated weather. With cold not been the norm for our little Ireland. Perhaps we may see some short sharp blast at some point. But certainly no madden big freeze which at least will make him look like the idiot he is once again.

Posted

Well, it's going to have to try very hard to be as windy and wet as last year, so at least it should be better :-D

Posted

seems to me that we are heading towards a winter very similar to last year again. Shouldn't be too surprised though. As our default weather in the uk is westerly dominated weather. With cold not been the norm for our little Ireland. Perhaps we may see some short sharp blast at some point. But certainly no madden big freeze which at least will make him look like the idiot he is once again.

Really wish I'd not seen this :nonono:  :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

well we have the glosea model Cfsv2 update agaisnt cold. But who knows it may well flip again. But the glosea update is a major worry for cold. Just wondering if the upturn in solar activity is once again going to scupper us.
  • Like 1

Posted

Why anyone pays attention to long range models is beyond me as 9/10 they are completely wrong. I'll stick with the tried and trusted methods of looking no further than 14 days and the monthly updates for any potential changes in patterns.

Posted

well we have the glosea model Cfsv2 update agaisnt cold. But who knows it may well flip again. But the glosea update is a major worry for cold. Just wondering if the upturn in solar activity is once again going to scupper us.

Solar activity is again on the decline so I don't know where you got your information from?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Maybe it would if there was an upturn???

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes, Solar Activity has been extremely low during this cycle 24, As per last few years. And dropping like a stone as we speak, With only 28 Sunspot's counted today. Will not be long before we see a spotless Sun..

We are currently over five years into Cycle 24. The current predicted and observed size makes this the smallest sunspot cycle since Cycle 14 which had a maximum of 64.2 in February of 1906.

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/predict.shtml

hmi200.gif

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

lets put this into perspective last year was completely different hemispherical wise.

cfs glosea there all experimental models.

i think this winter could be dryer than last with cold possibility from high pressure whether we see good strong heights over greenland is the key although through out summer there has been a few fairly robust heights over greenland and scandi.

this still could feature in our winter at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Yes, Solar Activity has been extremely low during this cycle 24, As per last few years. And dropping like a stone as we speak, With only 28 Sunspot's counted today. Will not be long before we see a spotless Sun..

hmi200.gif

certainly is the last time i checked solar output it was over terrible the activity of today.

and even on the farside of the sun its lower which is exciting.

ok so if we fail to have a cooler colder winter this time if solar activity stays the same we certianly could next winter lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yes its grim for coldies however the update in November 2013 showed this

2cat_20131101_mslp_months24_global_deter

And the December updated showed this

2cat_20131201_mslp_months24_global_deter

Both updates showed high pressure dominating and we all no what happened............

• Like 2

Posted

I'm thinking this Winter will produce from a more N/N/W flow, A more traditional cold Atlantic Winter, With the Jet tilted N/W-S/E drifting N/S over the UK..Just my thought's at this very early stage. A long way to go yet, So no bad news or good news in reality...   

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Both updates showed high pressure dominating and we all no what happened............

So basically expect the opposite to what its showing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The Met Office Boffins still working to improve the success rate of Glosea5, especially European Area, not as easy to predict seasonal pattern as N. America. Like this time last year subject to be sent up the wrong path but the standard of success is evolving more favourable results each season.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

certainly is the last time i checked solar output it was over terrible the activity of today.

and even on the farside of the sun its lower which is exciting.

ok so if we fail to have a cooler colder winter this time if solar activity stays the same we certianly could next winter lol

And whilst not really for this thread, more interesting will be winters to come over the next decade as we head towards the minimum...

As shown in previous posts, whilst perhaps useful in some aspects, I certainly won't be relying on it to confirm/blast away my winter hopes just yet.

hmi200.gif

Thanks PM  :) Great to see some supporting data...

I would not take posts referencing information from Glosea and CFS models as a definitive winter forecast...don't worry just yet!

People keep banging on about how the CFS was terribly out with High pressure anomalies last winter, but I followed the 1 month and 9 month runs religiously over the autumn period in the run up to December and into mid-January and neither showed nothing of the sort ( I do remember though some runs showed a period of short lived easterlies just before mid-January) but largely fairly unsettled and Atlantic in nature. If you followed the CFS in January 2013 it consistently showed northern blocking towards late February into March and even into April (from around late January) which proved to be correct, so it's not always wrong.

In all honesty, we often see picked-out charts showing particular scenarios posted on forums most of the time, so naturally people will compare the winter pattern the majority of those.

For example this time last year I remember seeing plenty of posts showing charts of northern blocking and cold for the UK, but as you say if it was followed like you do, the overall average probably showed something different.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Lets hope we don't have a strong SPP index this winter!!!! in case anyone wonders what this is, it stands for Self Perpetuating Pattern and was through the ceinling last winter!!

Posted

Yes I remember last year when both the GLOSEA and CFS V2 model were showing HLB and as we know the rest is history,  that doesn't mean they are wrong this time though but the starting point is completely different this time around so given that you'd expect at least some cold spells this coming winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

f10.gif

We're stil a little way from 08/09/10 values. Another 3-4 years by simple extrapolation (always dangerous!). However, this cycle overall has been much weaker than SC23  so perhaps there will be some cumulative effect? 

My expectations for winter are tempered by last year's no show, so I just hope this year is an improvement. Some frost would do for a start. And for the love of God drier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I'm thinking this Winter will produce from a more N/N/W flow, A more traditional cold Atlantic Winter, With the Jet tilted N/W-S/E drifting N/S over the UK..Just my thought's at this very early stage. A long way to go yet, So no bad news or good news in reality...   

PM, that's what I think too.  Re these models I read that some are factoring in El Nino at a moderate strength.  For a start I think we must still look at a starting point of HP anomaly around Alaska region but as Steve M showed there can be quite different outcomes down the line.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

PM, that's what I think too.  Re these models I read that some are factoring in El Nino at a moderate strength.  

BFTP

I think they all are BFTP and obviously the net result will way off base  ( which looks the form horse at present ) if we see a weak nino event. Until the models grasp this then they are even of less use than normal. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Maybe this belongs in the NH Snow and Ice thread :unknw: , but my mother-in-law (on the left) is adamant they had a freak snow shower in Terrington St Clement on Saturday. Looks like hail to me.

15338495777_c31f557cb2_z.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Early doors, but reading through the various posts and looking at some of the longer range anomaly charts around, it would appear that the building blocks for something very interesting this winter are being laid down. 

If that continues through October and into November then I can't see a repeat of last winter and it will be over to other parts of the jigsaw to follow suite and play ball as it were. 

Steady as she goes. 

I wonder if High Sea Surface Temperature anomaly's around the UK coastline might be a chink in the armor this winter ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Early thoughts from the weather outlook on winter

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

Reads and sound like a balanced thought from Brian. Still a long way to go. As he says Glosea5 not that easy to define in our part of the world compared to N. America. Our agency going for a much above average temperature in Eastern Alpine Region for Oct/Nov/ Dec with 60 % certainty which is very high. Oct already producing record high temps in our region. Winter still to far to call. Remember last year much of lowland Europe had very little snow and above average temps in winter 13/14, whereas he had the deepest snow since 1975. So variable the winter can be compared to elevation and location. I think the Scottish Mountains faired well for snow despite all the wind and mildness affecting the British Isles and indeed in favoured places lasted the summer.

C

• Like 1