Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

I was born jan 1964 and lived in Coventry. I think we had some snow over Christmas one year.....i would have been about 4 i think! i stuck snow to our garage wall saying Happy Xmas..........but i could have been 5 or 6 too !!!

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I can,t recall missing school in Winter 62-3.Transport no problem,we walked the 2 miles each way through the snow.

A different era then we just got on with it.

Is it true or you having difficulty recalling now Phil :rofl:

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Is it true or you having difficulty recalling now Phil :rofl:

BFTP

lol i still have my lucid moments Fred. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I was at school between 1975 and 1984,we lived at 340m in the pennines and school was at a lowly150m.It was a 2 mile walk downhill and the same uphill on the way back.I do not remember how long the school was closed but we had days off because of snow every year usually because school was closed or because it was blizzarding.If it had stopped snowing mum would send us to school if it was safe.It could really catch you out in a blizzard on the quiet roads home sometimes we had a day off and kids at school didn't believe we had 6 ft drifts down our lane as at school there was a 4 inch cover,in these parts it is another world to the village 2 miles down the road.!979 was the worst by far it took the council 2 weeks to dig to the bottom of our lane,the 1/3rd mile lane we dug by hand many times that winter.It used to blizzard every year back then and just to remind people the last 2 blizzards have been march 2013 and 1995....not 2010 !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I was born jan 1964 and lived in Coventry. I think we had some snow over Christmas one year.....i would have been about 4 i think! i stuck snow to our garage wall saying Happy Xmas..........but i could have been 5 or 6 too !!!

1970 had a full on easterly on Xmas day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I was at school between 1975 and 1984,we lived at 340m in the pennines and school was at a lowly150m.It was a 2 mile walk downhill and the same uphill on the way back.I do not remember how long the school was closed but we had days off because of snow every year usually because school was closed or because it was blizzarding.If it had stopped snowing mum would send us to school if it was safe.It could really catch you out in a blizzard on the quiet roads home sometimes we had a day off and kids at school didn't believe we had 6 ft drifts down our lane as at school there was a 4 inch cover,in these parts it is another world to the village 2 miles down the road.!979 was the worst by far it took the council 2 weeks to dig to the bottom of our lane,the 1/3rd mile lane we dug by hand many times that winter.It used to blizzard every year back then and just to remind people the last 2 blizzards have been march 2013 and 1995....not 2010 !

Technically i don't recall ever having a proper blizzard. In terms of extremely heavy snow from fronts i'm thinking 31st December 2003, 6th January 2010 and 25th January 2013. The first and last saw massive flakes, lasted about 6 hours each and brought 9cm and 12cm respectively. Jan 2010 event lasted 10 hours and dumped 21cm.

Posted

Well this seems the place for a little anecdote...

Over the weekend I was chatting to a guy at a school fair. He has just moved to the country and discovered an enormous bees nest behind some outbuildings.

He called in the bee expert who is arranging to take them away, but also said that the bees were building a hive suitable for a very cold winter...

...make of that what you will! Definitely more accurate than the CFS!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

STEVE MURR IS THE GREATIST.

But even He cannot make it snow.

I'm going with the bees.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I had a week of school in feb 91, remember it well because i was in my final year of junior school, probably the most winter fun i ever had. but also i remember it well because it was the most snow i have ever seen in blackpool  snowed for around 3 days and the snow drifts were very impressive for the area. Not seen anything like it here since. 

My hopes for winter would be something exactly like this again.

I would have thought feb 1996 would have delivered more for your location, did that convection blast you on 4th - 7th feb 1991 or was it the front late on on the 7th into the 8th that bladdered you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Winter 1979 was particularly bad in Pennine areas with virtually all roads including the M62 impassible, sometimes for days on end.

What made it such a bad spell of weather however wasn't the severity of any particular snow storm although several were bad, certainly by recent standards.

It was just the relentlessness of it. Every attempt by the Atlantic to bring in rain and milder conditions seemed to be pushed back and as soon as roads and every morning seemed to bring a fresh fall .

Maybe the severity appeared worse because of the effects of industrial action but there's been nothing like it in these parts since.

TBH the closest we probably came was March 2013 which, although less snow fell formed drifts not seen around here since 79.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Well this seems the place for a little anecdote...

Over the weekend I was chatting to a guy at a school fair. He has just moved to the country and discovered an enormous bees nest behind some outbuildings.

He called in the bee expert who is arranging to take them away, but also said that the bees were building a hive suitable for a very cold winter...

...make of that what you will! Definitely more accurate than the CFS!

I think the bees did that last year too! Though it looked like it was for a cold winter, it turned out that they were gale proofing their hives instead! :whistling: :whistling:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I predict that this winter will be drier than last year.

Give me my money!!!  :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Technically i don't recall ever having a proper blizzard. In terms of extremely heavy snow from fronts i'm thinking 31st December 2003, 6th January 2010 and 25th January 2013. The first and last saw massive flakes, lasted about 6 hours each and brought 9cm and 12cm respectively. Jan 2010 event lasted 10 hours and dumped 21cm.

Don't get me wrong ,there was a lot of snow in winter 2009/10 but there was little wind except for the very high ground it would have been a far worse winter had the wind picked up like it did in march 2013 . Most winters of the 80s had blizzards except '88 and '89...1990,1993 and 1995 were the last before 2013 in these parts anyway !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

This Winter will be the coldest Winter in living memory, make sure you stock up plenty of supplies. Water, canned food and extra blankets are the most important. Make sure you have these for around the middle of November, as the surge of cold arctic air will hit our shores causing devastation to the land during the end of November, this will continue well into April. I can not tell you the means of how I gathered this information, but let's just say the UK government are preparing like never before.

You heard it hear first.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

This Winter will be the coldest Winter in living memory, make sure you stock up plenty of supplies. Water, canned food and extra blankets are the most important. Make sure you have these for around the middle of November, as the surge of cold arctic air will hit our shores causing devastation to the land during the end of November, this will continue well into April. I can not tell you the means of how I gathered this information, but let's just say the UK government are preparing like never before.

You heard it hear first.

As long as your source isn't The daily Express!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Sorry Barry but I'll not believe it until it's front page news in the Daily Express and then only if a certain forecaster has given them the story.

• Like 2

Posted

I don't know why schools close ...they never shut in Edmonton or Calgary and the amount of snow is worse every year than we would ever get here..its just barmy...kids still have to play outside it is only when it gets below -23c are they allowed in doors at lunchtime etc.

It always annoyed me that we'd be prevented from playing outside if there was even a dusting of snow on the playground. The killjoy teachers were of course quite happy to have us thrown outside in the cold, teeming rain...   :rolleyes:

Edited by AderynCoch

You heard it hear first.

Nathan Rao, is that you?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Significant genuinely disruptive snow is such a rarity in these lands that it surprises me that people are so terrified of it. It's hardly ever a real problem. For example, what's the most days anyone has had off school because of snow. In my school days it was 2 or 3 days in 13 years.

We had over a week once. Used to get at least one or two snow days a year.

Posted

every year someone finds something like this quote, and how many times has it proved correct?

If not correct even partly correct?

• Like 1