Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Early winter hopes and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Any winter may eed to be heavily modified if we get a big bang in Iceland.

This whole year has appeared to be early, but I can't, at the moment see a cold autumn unless we do get a big eruption

Yes, I've been following Volcanocafe avidly (and lurking on the volcano thread here).

As for long term forecasts nobody got close to what we had last year. You get some who give their forecasts a bit of everything and so can't be totally off but, if LRFs really were worth it, then someone would have gone for no snow with frequent violent storms and catastrophic flooding, and they didn't.

Edited by ukpaul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hoping for another January 2010 Snow a Event or December 2010 snow event!

Looking forward to the roller coaster that is to come with model

Output and emotions of one good run/one bad run...

All aboard!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

My Hopes for this Winter are that we'll enjoy Constant snowfall every single day from 15th November, through until the 1st April. 

Not so much that we can't get about, but enough that we can build igloo's and throw snowballs at unsuspecting unruly ''know it all'' Teenagers. 

I'd love to see a one week period when the snow is high enough to completely cover my neighbors car too, because I think he'd probably blow a fuse without his beloved machine and would have nothing to do, because he spends his life cleaning it, polishing it, and generally showing off in it, so to see him without it would be hilarious.

Not only that but it would actually be quiet where I live and all the yummy mummy's would have nowhere to congregate and gossip.

I'd look after all the old dears and make sure they were looked after and the local wildlife was well fed, man I'd be in my element. 

So bring it on please, loads of crisp cold days (not too cold mind you), and lots of nights where the snow reflects the moonlight and you can read a paper outside in the dark, with a whisky and shout at young people with a pointy stick  

:rofl: You paint quite a picture of Brighton! Apart from the yummy mummys, have you thought about moving! :laugh: I let the rain wash my car, I really can't be bothered!  I would like constant snow fall too, but loads, so none of the tools who live around here can get out of their houses to annoy me! I would be the only one who would have stocked up on stuff because nobody gives a turnip about the weather here and they never watch the forecast either! Have you tried poking young people with a pointy stick instead? Hope the Atlantic has a nap until April!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I'm hoping for Wind, rain, sleet, snow, hail, frost and a bit of crisp sunshine this coming winter.

Sure I'll see some of this at some point in winter.  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

In the naughties, I would always be happy with a couple of inches of snow but since the return of the mid 80s winters on the 1st Feb 2009, the bar has been raised and the only thing that floats my boat nowadays is an absolute belting, preferably a complete crippler

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Well lets hope it better than winter 13/14 it wouldn't take much to improve on one of the worst winters I can remember, less rain and less stormy would be a start, I would love to see one or two storms in late Oct early Nov followed by some bright crisp sunny days with hard frosts and with a good lengthy cold snowy spell from around the 2nd week in Jan lasting through to the early march, followed by a real warm up for spring, not too much to ask for. Whatever it brings lets hope we don't see the horrendous flooding of last winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

My Hopes for this Winter are that we'll enjoy Constant snowfall every single day from 15th November, through until the 1st April. 

Not so much that we can't get about, but enough that we can build igloo's and throw snowballs at unsuspecting unruly ''know it all'' Teenagers. 

I'd love to see a one week period when the snow is high enough to completely cover my neighbors car too, because I think he'd probably blow a fuse without his beloved machine and would have nothing to do, because he spends his life cleaning it, polishing it, and generally showing off in it, so to see him without it would be hilarious.

Not only that but it would actually be quiet where I live and all the yummy mummy's would have nowhere to congregate and gossip.

I'd look after all the old dears and make sure they were looked after and the local wildlife was well fed, man I'd be in my element. 

So bring it on please, loads of crisp cold days (not too cold mind you), and lots of nights where the snow reflects the moonlight and you can read a paper outside in the dark, with a whisky and shout at young people with a pointy stick

This, all day and night but my 67 mile commute to Swindon would be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

I would really love a repeat of December 2010 that then goes on to last through much of January, February and early March!  :cold: I don't think I could cope with a repeat of last year. We had about 2 frosts and absolutely no snow here, not even a flake! Great to see these threads up and running so early and with all the usual suspects already commenting. Really not sure what will be in store for 2014/15 but like everyone on here will certainly enjoy the build up and anticipation. Fingers crossed for a belter - I reckon we are long over due a really cold Jan / Feb, so perhaps 2015 could be the year! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

I'd really like to experience a winter ...." Like what there was when I was a boy" I seem to remember some absolute stonking winters in the early 80s...though I've no pictures

I recall weeks recurrent heavy ,snowy spells....blizzards...thunder/ lightning and snow together.......huge drifts where we couldn't even get out our back door.....swirling drifts to the roof of the garage....the snowplough getting stuck outside our house cause there was so much snow!!!

So,I'll have a bit of that please..if it's not too much to ask.

To summarise: lots of â„â„..so I can build some of these⛄⛄....I'd rather not have too much of this☔☔

And a repeat of last winter? Well that'll be a pile of💩💩

Edited by DR(S)NO
  • Like 2

Posted

99.9% sure this winter will be better than last year dreadful display, this country lacks heavy disruptive snowfall. South of the M4 these 20cm+ snow events are dwindling, the uk is lukewarm in comparasion to the mainland, a 2010 I wouldnt rule out however unlikely. The weather will do what it wants, it does not book for a reservation, suprises around the corner :clap: we struggle in london to get ice days. When we do temps usually hover just over 0C, it would be great if it was 5 below :D proper cold :cold:

Posted

Hoping for snow from November to April with as little transition period as possible, hoping for the warm weather to last until October. Get Autumn out of the way quickly in October with that rain wind and mild temperatures rubbish, then onto the snow in November.

What I think will happen though is a warm start with perhaps a cold 2nd half of Janaury, followed by an average February.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

I'm hoping for a repeat of December 2010. 40cms of snow in the garden - so deep the Mother-in-Law couldn't make it for Christmas.....*sob*

Yeah a repeat of 09/10 would be amazing, the surprise of its arrival was the best part!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'd like another 2010 type set up BUT I'd like it to be more prolonged as the last few months of the the 2010/11 winter were nothing but a borefest, it was painful to witness!! Ideally I'd like to see a few significant Atlantic storms, some frosty snowy weather and some settled weather in equal measures. :p

• Like 1

Posted

Another 2009/2010? I'd rather catch herpes. That winter was torture here, 2006/7 beat it for snow depth. The winter equivalent of dull, boring August 2003.

December 2010, that one is welcome back whenever it likes. If it had January 2013 and February 1994 after it even better :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

99.9% sure this winter will be better than last year dreadful display, this country lacks heavy disruptive snowfall. South of the M4 these 20cm+ snow events are dwindling, the uk is lukewarm in comparasion to the mainland, a 2010 I wouldnt rule out however unlikely. The weather will do what it wants, it does not book for a reservation, suprises around the corner :clap: we struggle in london to get ice days. When we do temps usually hover just over 0C, it would be great if it was 5 below :D proper cold :cold:

tsk...-50C is proper cold -5c is t-shirt and shorts weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A pattern like this would be good,for cold lovers.

post-2026-0-24921800-1410334500_thumb.pn

Easterlies all the way across the Atlantic-the famous Winter of 62/3.

The Atlantic attacking from the south couldn't get in and we saw plenty of low pressure around the Channel and N.France giving frequent snow for many through the following weeks. 

This link is a good read

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mtullett/1962-63/index.htm

with daily charts and reports.

If we recall December 2010's charts then this was similar but lasted much longer!

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 2

Posted

A pattern like this would be good,for cold lovers.

attachicon.gifarchivesnh-1962-12-31-0-0.png

Easterlies all the way across the Atlantic-the famous Winter of 62/3.

The Atlantic attacking from the south couldn't get in and we saw plenty of low pressure around the Channel and N.France giving frequent snow for many through the following weeks. 

This link is a good read

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mtullett/1962-63/index.htm

with daily charts and reports.

If we recall December 2010's charts then this was similar but lasted much longer!

Nice Easterly progged for next week - shame it's September !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

http://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

Getting some nice negative readings, El Nino looking very likely.

What effect will it have on our winter ?

'09/'10

• Like 3