Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and Stormy

Winter is most definitely over. 15 C next week in any sunshine in the South. Think most on the MOD thread are clutching the very final straws.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Lovely high pressure showing on the mods. As stated straw clutching at there finest on the mod thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Some similaties in the current  position with 1959 which, though a cold month overall, ended up producing some warm weather towards the end of the month

Rrea00119590216.gif

However the trend at this stage in 1959 was for the high to drift west and pressure to rise over the UK.  I think we're looking at a tendency for the high to drift east and pressure to fall.  I think February might still hold a wintry surprise in store for us...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Warm for me is a t- shirt.That it is not.Long way to go before spring up here.

why do you castagorise 'spring' as t shirt weather?... theres FAR more to spring like weather then just abit of warmth and sun. went out yesterday afternoon without a coat on as i could feel the sun... that to me can be described as 'warm' for early feb!

"Strong Sun" Hmmm :laugh:

didnt you go out yesterday?

i did. the air was unusually clear, the skies were crystal clear and the stars last night were many and bright. with the low angle of the sun, and no breeze, the sun yesterday could be felt diirectly on the body, all of the body, not just the 'upper facing' areas like in summer. so yesterday the sun did feel strong, and it was warm, tinglingly so.... plus i took the dogs a walk with no coat on, just in my shirt quite comfortably as long as i was in the sun (it was chilly of course in shaded areas).

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

Posted

why do you castagorise 'spring' as t shirt weather?... theres FAR more to spring like weather then just abit of warmth and sun. went out yesterday afternoon without a coat on as i could feel the sun... that to me can be described as 'warm' for early feb!

i did. the air was unusually clear, the skies were crystal clear and the stars last night were many and bright. with the low angle of the sun, and no breeze, the sun yesterday could be felt diirectly on the body, all of the body, not just the 'upper facing' areas like in summer. so yesterday the sun did feel strong, and it was warm, tinglingly so.... plus i took the dogs a walk with no coat on, just in my shirt quite comfortably as long as i was in the sun (it was chilly of course in shaded areas).

Pretty sure the Sun had the same strength last year at the same time as it dose this year I would go one further and say the suns strength will be the same next year at the same time, it runs like clock work in that regard....... UV Rating 1 or 2....... Yeah springlike.......  :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Sun is certainly much stronger and higher in sky in Feb, than Dec or Jan, sun will thaw more snow in Feb, due to being stronger, and shining on more surfaces being higher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well I enjoyed my 'Hour in the sun' ( LOL) glad I got the small garden decked, seems better at soaking up the heat than cold , bare earth...... just wish we didn't have the cloud to deal with esp. when the sat shows clearings so close to us!!!

Posted

In terms of any late Winter fun (late Feb/early March) it is currently Tamara/Netweather v Meto/EC32.

Tamara appears to remain bullish about a late Winter/early Spring Polar blast, however neither the EC32 and Meto monthlies show the slighest sign of it.

Who will be right?

Posted

Pretty sure the Sun had the same strength last year at the same time as it dose this year I would go one further and say the suns strength will be the same next year at the same time, it runs like clock work in that regard....... UV Rating 1 or 2....... Yeah springlike.......  :rofl:

a pretty daft reply if i might say so.

yes the sun is pretty constant in its radiant heat/light etc... but what isnt constant is our atmosphere. yesterday in particular it was unusually (but pleasantly) clear. there was hardly any noticable pollutants or moisture so the sun felt warmer then usual. the stars were very bright last night too, you could see loads.

as for 'springlike'.... good greif... how many times? ... spring isnt A particular weather type...there are loads of weather types that youd expect in spring. for a few hours yesterday in my area (and i dare say quite a sizable chuck of the east) it was very much 'springlike' ( as in weather youd expect in early spring) even philip averay descibed it as such! not only that but there was a butterfly flitting past! (daft thing, it obviously hasnt read your post! lol)

• Like 1

Posted

Cleaning a black car yesterday the sun was sufficiently strong at 15.40 to produce a noticeable amount of evaporation showing as wisps of vapour where the water (cold) was drying.  On Sunday here it was glorious and warm enough to sit in the very bright sun..........surely it's all over bar the (forum) shouting?

Mind you today is a sack of cack but we are on the right track

Edited by Chief Wiggam
  • Like 2

Posted

a pretty daft reply if i might say so.

yes the sun is pretty constant in its radiant heat/light etc... but what isnt constant is our atmosphere. yesterday in particular it was unusually (but pleasantly) clear. there was hardly any noticable pollutants or moisture so the sun felt warmer then usual. the stars were very bright last night too, you could see loads.

as for 'springlike'.... good greif... how many times? ... spring isnt A particular weather type...there are loads of weather types that youd expect in spring. for a few hours yesterday in my area (and i dare say quite a sizable chuck of the east) it was very much 'springlike' ( as in weather youd expect in early spring) even philip averay descibed it as such! not only that but there was a butterfly flitting past! (daft thing, it obviously hasnt read your post! lol)

Basically a mild winters day. 

The fact you can feel the sun in mid December under the right conditions doesn't make it Spring like.

• Like 1

Posted

Basically a mild winters day. 

The fact you can feel the sun in mid December under the right conditions doesn't make it Spring like.

isnt a mild winters day 'springlike' (early spring)? in december it would still feel like autumn... because as i keep insisting, theres more to a season then one single weather type... and more to a season then weather!  my snowdrops are out, some early daffs are out (there is an early variety) , the scent in the air was that glorious fresh spring type and the native birds were singing their springtime courtship songs.... in 9c and bright/strong sun that could have passed off for mid-late march.

anyway, its dull and chilly today, as expected (lol) but at least its calm and dry.... great weather for outdoor winter work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

isnt a mild winters day 'springlike' (early spring)? in december it would still feel like autumn... because as i keep insisting, theres more to a season then one single weather type... and more to a season then weather!  my snowdrops are out, some early daffs are out (there is an early variety) , the scent in the air was that glorious fresh spring type and the native birds were singing their springtime courtship songs.... in 9c and bright/strong sun that could have passed off for mid-late march.

anyway, its dull and chilly today, as expected (lol) but at least its calm and dry.... great weather for outdoor winter work!

A cool and blustery day in Mid August would be described as Autumnal, and ive heard a deep low in summer being described as Autumnal many times. Hence Springlike is an appropriate term to use in Winter. It wouldnt describe the conditions here today though. Thoroughly cold damp and miserable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

February is looking increasingly disappointing from a cold pov.

It looks more and more like Winter proper is fading away in a weak Atlantic westerly setup with periods of Azores ridging and temperatures around average.

Some night frosts around and maybe fog here and there but no sign of any deep cold in the next 2 weeks i would say.

That Canadian/Greenland vortex just will not relent. 

• Like 2

Posted

Let's hope next winter NE USA is warm and we have a 1947/63 winter....they are having some epic cold, which unfortunately is assisting in creating an epic PV....defo no chance of a Scandy high in the next 10 days, and beyond that looks no better. We are then knocking on into March.

Posted

In terms of any late Winter fun (late Feb/early March) it is currently Tamara/Netweather v Meto/EC32.

Tamara appears to remain bullish about a late Winter/early Spring Polar blast, however neither the EC32 and Meto monthlies show the slighest sign of it.

Who will be right?

Well considering it's possible any winter to have a polar blast with snow right up until the start of may, I'll stick my neck out and say I expect a late ''Winter/early Spring Polar blast'' as that gives me about 11 weeks for one to come along and prove me right...  :laugh:

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes: we booked a short winter break away today, lots of choices though, Gran Canaria and Tenerife looked lovely in the brochure with pictures of clear sunny skies and a ' strong' sun, and as for the pictures of Tangier wow is all I can say. But in the end we booked a short winter break in............Derbyshire!  Its the sun wot did it!! :laugh:

As for the weather here, well its been rather cloudy and chilly :smile:

Posted

Yes: we booked a short winter break away today, lots of choices though, Gran Canaria and Tenerife looked lovely in the brochure with pictures of clear sunny skies and a ' strong' sun, and as for the pictures of Tangier wow is all I can say. But in the end we booked a short winter break in............Derbyshire!  Its the sun wot did it!! :laugh:

As for the weather here, well its been rather cloudy and chilly :smile:

Should have come here yesterday then, it was great lol

Yep its looking cloudy n chilly here, but dry n calm so good outdoors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

What yet another absolute pathetic excuse of a winter , it's as bad as any of the snowless winters in the past . Yes some areas saw snow particuarly up north , but away from high ground it's been an absolute flop . Iv saw 5 dusting of snow with every single on of them been gone by midday . What a let down , this year had so much promise that's what makes it harder to take . Really look forward now to solar minimum in a few years

• Like 4