Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted

Oh dear, looks like a pretty boring anticyclonic spell coming-up!

Things just won't click into place for a more severe wintry spell in UK this winter - AGAIN!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

Borefest approaching.

No reload, no rinse & repeat.

A Winter that supposedly promised so much, but delivered v little (certainly here in the SW anyway)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Freshwater Isle of Wight a few centimetres of the white stuff, still falling. Not wet mush either. Still all to play for for the rest of the week for something more significant. Happy days â„ï¸ðŸ˜

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Borefest approaching.

A Winter that supposedly promised so much, but delivered v little (certainly here in the SW anyway)

yeah, its gone tits up, last week, the models were showing snowfest for today, due to trough coming down from the north, now i'm just being forecasted a few light rain showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

I don't see much snow happening with high pressure being dominant for the near future. Also the long term doesn't look very positive as it looks like we have lost all opportunity of an easterly, and have to rely on anything from the north. Sustained cold has not stuck around for long, with typically missing the vital ingredient for anything spectacular.

Overall its been a disappointing winter, although I had snow last night (not much) I feel sorry for the guys that had none at all and 4-5c is too warm during the day.

Edited by liam300

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After last nights hope that ECM would deliver a cold snap Sunday / Monday its all change this morning with the high too close to the UK sending the coldest air into mainland europe

ECM1-144.GIF?03-12ECM0-144.GIF?03-12

gfs-0-144.png?0gfs-1-144.png?0

gem-0-144.png?00gem-1-144.png?00

UW144-21.GIF?03-05    < No 850's available

Once the high does build in it could be stubborn so and so to move

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

After last nights hope that ECM would deliver a cold snap Sunday / Monday its all change this morning with the high too close to the UK sending the coldest air into mainland europe

ECM1-144.GIF?03-12ECM0-144.GIF?03-12

gfs-0-144.png?0gfs-1-144.png?0

gem-0-144.png?00gem-1-144.png?00

UW144-21.GIF?03-05    < No 850's available

Once the high does build in it could be stubborn so and so to move

looks a dirty high as well, with cloudy, mildish air coming in from the north, so daytime maxes around 8C mins around 4C (south)

Posted

Well looking at the benign charts on offer with the high slowing sinking allowing a more W/SW feed in over time I think we can now cast aside the word "potential", unless we are talking about potential spring weather as we head later into the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Borefest approaching.

saw this and it reminded me of here (substitude 'lies' though for 'ramps')

post-2797-0-93443500-1422957708_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

After a wobble last night it does like models have stepped back into line. Perhaps we should now be looking at the precipitation and sunshine records (though it could well start cloudy until it drifts east). 

Rtavn3123.gif

• Like 1

With respect dr astro, posting notably unreliable temp prediction charts for TEN days time as proof the high will be cold, is pretty unlike you sir. Theres huge uncertainty as to the position and orientation of the high. Plus no one has yet made a scienced based post as to why this high will be a cold clear high as imho its got cloudy written all over it with a circulation off the atlantic.

Your right. I was trying to balance out the original post, finger jerk reactions ! It's the MOD thread, making me insane. :angry:  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

its looking like at least 10 days of cloud very little frost no wind with temps averaging 7c and drizzle to the far NW the SE may get lucky with at least some breaks in the cloud but otherwise everyone else its plain old nothing weather the falks who are suggesting clear skys and hard frosts well never in my many years have i seen a HP over us or to the west bring anythine other than cloud at this time of year

Edited by igloo

Posted

its looking like at least 10 days of cloud very little frost no wind with temps averaging 7c and drizzle to the far NW the SE may get lucky with at least some breaks in the cloud but otherwise everyone else its plain old nothing weather the falks who are suggesting clear skys and hard frosts well never in my many years have i seen a HP over us or to the west bring anythine other than cloud at this time of year

Yes the high is wrongly placed for a clean high, for that need the high to the NE, dirty high, some places could see many days on the trot without sunshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

might as well be the first to say it but winter looks to be all over if this evenings ECM is on the mark in the later stages its as flat as a pancake from canada to siberia

Edited by igloo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

might as well be the first to say it but winter looks to be all over if this evenings ECM is on the mark in the later stages its as flat as a pancake from canada to siberia

Not the first; some people on here have been saying winter's over since December!! 

Admittedly the models seem to have only boring anticyclonic gloom or zonal dross on offer tonight but it's still only the 3rd Feb, and considering there's been some memorable snowfalls in late Feb and March in the past, I think it's too early to be writing the epitaph yet.

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Not the first; some people on here have been saying winter's over since December!! 

Admittedly the models seem to have only boring anticyclonic gloom or zonal dross on offer tonight but it's still only the 3rd Feb, and considering there's been some memorable snowfalls in late Feb and March in the past, I think it's too early to be writing the epitaph yet.

So they were right then weren't they? This winter has been utter pap despite all the positive background signals which have amounted to nothing. We have achieved ZERO HLB this winter and to hope for a miraculous pattern change to HLB nirvana just aint gonna happen if we haven't achieved any meaningful cold by late Jan in my experience the winter is over!! Which I'm afraid it is!!

• Like 1

Posted

So they were right then weren't they? This winter has been utter pap despite all the positive background signals which have amounted to nothing. We have achieved ZERO HLB this winter and to hope for a miraculous pattern change to HLB nirvana just aint gonna happen if we haven't achieved any meaningful cold by late Jan in my experience the winter is over!! Which I'm afraid it is!!

Its freezing out there and looks to get even colder over next few days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

I forecast winter to last and last and last until at least spring ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

MODs this post should surely be put in the MOANS thread!!!! We're it belongs

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Believe me you won't find me arguing about how awful the cold spells have been IMBY but it's been OK for some people and it isn't over yet, despite an uninteresting model prognosis. Therefore any posters stating that the winter was over in December can hardly claim much credit.

Anyway, back on topic, I have succeeded in finding a good chart. Step forward, from the GEFS at T360, member 13! :D

post-4908-0-40939300-1422991140_thumb.pn

Wow, that was hard work digging that one out.........

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 2

Posted

I see people are wheeling out the "March can be cold - remember 2013".

And i've been on this planet 53yrs plus and certainly for down these parts March rarely delivers.

Yes we've had the odd snowfall but not many noteworthy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Next 10 days looking poor for any precipitation at all.

We have one small window left - last 2 weeks of Feb. Once March arrives it is hard for the south to see anything meaningful.

EC32 reports are encouraging.... but it has been a winter of let downs and one I suspect that those in the south will want to forget.

Posted

Next 10 days looking poor for any precipitation at all.

We have one small window left - last 2 weeks of Feb. Once March arrives it is hard for the south to see anything meaningful.

EC32 reports are encouraging.... but it has been a winter of let downs and one I suspect that those in the south will want to forget.

certainly has, todays countrywide snowfest went completely tits up, GFS, most models and bbc had trough moving down from the north around Friday last week, just have a feeling it's going to be a winter when everything goes tits up