Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Successive runs agreeing, noaa anomaly charts (most accurate when in consistent agreement, which they are) , think its reasonable to describe it as starting to firm up..

And fi on the 12z is pure heaven for me! Mild and pretty dry.

Of course i know its likely to go pear shaped, but if coldies can salavate at fi prospects then so can i! :p

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

So the Beeb/metO tell us colder weather than today comes back over the weekend yet London's and SE temp remains at 6c for next 3 days same as today......eh? 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

"Firm up"!?

10 days away....right....

To be honest Mushy i'm pretty fed up with the pretend cold and no snow down here (imby) and if there's no decent cold and snow on offer by mid-Feb i'd rather see an early warm Spring.

But cant see how model runs for 10 days away can be viewed as firming up.

GFS has had a consistent FI signal for pressure being close to the UK for most of the past 5 days. The only question has been whether it would be the Russian High extending west, pressure building over Europe (as seen past day 10 on the 12z) or whether it would an Azores High south west of the UK (looks more likely now). 

• Like 1

Posted

Setup is not a bad one if it sticks around and stays clear of Europe for the east..

Recm2161.gif

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

attachicon.gifRtavn2402.gif

starting to firm up :)

Interesting to note that the chart you posted of the GFS 12Z Op at Day 10 was a wild mild outlier. It only had support from the control. Most of the other GEFS members were significantly colder, with the mean not rising above -4 until the 13th Feb. That's 2 long weeks away.

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif

So i wouldn't be getting too excited just yet over the prospects of a return to milder conditions at Day 10 as clearly there is nowhere near enough evidence (as of yet) for this to happen.

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 2

Posted

It's not even that cold down here. Temp today reached 8c.

When daytime temp is only 2 or 3c for a number of days in a row then that's a cold snap; longer than a few days call it a cold spell.

We (imby) havent had a proper cold spell this Winter.

Plus, we're virtually snowless.

Posted

Just for giggles whilst waiting to see a snowflake this cold spell, model terms and real meanings:  Feel free to add

Set in stone = will definitely not happen

More runs needed = dodgy stomach

Bin this run = Likely to verify

• Like 3

Posted

Ok Nath - here's mine:

Favourable background signals = Should happen but actually doesnt

Nailed on = the complete opposite actually happens

It's coming = well...at some point it will

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Interesting to note the North sea is temp is at 7.oc. So any North sea showers will fall as sleet and rain near east facing coasts, I haven't read a post yet mentioning this, the showers as they move inland will turn more to snow,

This isn't a moan just an observation.

Edited by sorepaw1

Posted

Just for giggles whilst waiting to see a snowflake this cold spell, model terms and real meanings:  Feel free to add

Set in stone = will definitely not happen

More runs needed = dodgy stomach

Bin this run = Likely to verify

I'm inclined towards:

Bin this run = indicating warm spell

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting to note that the chart you posted of the GFS 12Z Op at Day 10 was a wild mild outlier. It only had support from the control. Most of the other GEFS members were significantly colder, with the mean not rising above -4 until the 13th Feb. That's 2 long weeks away.

A wild outlier? When the ecm 00z and 12z plus the previous gfs supported it And the noaa 8-14 anomaly chart supports it?

It might well not become reality, i am aware of that, but a wild outlier it is not. :)

So i wouldn't be getting too excited just yet over the prospects of a return to milder conditions at Day 10 as clearly there is nowhere near enough evidence (as of yet) for this to happen.

Posted

A wild outlier? When the ecm 00z and 12z plus the previous gfs supported it And the noaa 8-14 anomaly chart supports it?

It might well not become reality, i am aware of that, but a wild outlier it is not. :)

dont know why this happened but my reply should be here

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

dont know why this happened but my reply should be here

Sorry mushy, i should of made myself clearer. I meant it is a wild outlier compared to most of it's own 12Z suite (GEFS)

Edited by SE Blizzards

Posted

Sorry mushy, i should of made myself clearer. I meant it is a wild outlier compared to most of it's own 12Z suite (GEFS)

fair play ;)

but as i mentioned its not strictly an outlier as it has support on its evolution upto t240. both the gfs 00z, 06z and 12z plus the ecm 00z and 12z agree as to the evolution upto t240, the mild chart i posted .

ok theres loads of time for this to change, its far from nailed, but its what the current outputs suggest.

Posted

fair play ;)

but as i mentioned its not strictly an outlier as it has support on its evolution upto t240. both the gfs 00z, 06z and 12z plus the ecm 00z and 12z agree as to the evolution upto t240, the mild chart i posted .

ok theres loads of time for this to change, its far from nailed, but its what the current outputs suggest.

Hmm, charts at t240 are all thwart with danger whether they show cold, mild or whatever, and i'm sure you of all people know that. In fact i'm struggling to remember when the last time an op chart at T240 actually verified? 

Cold can be a bugger to shift once it's in and i suspect some of the op runs are being a tad progressive in shifting the cold. But of course that is only my opinion, and time will as ever tell  :)

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Best post I have seen in ages regards to the MOD thread

Snow_Fan_Man, on 29 Jan 2015 - 15:35, said:snapback.png

I came here expecting some discussion about the models and all i see is people whinging. There wasn't any of this nonsense back in my days on Net-Weather. It's a model discussion thread, people should be discussing the models without any bias towards warm or cold in the model discussion threads - discuss facts and projections - not sure why there has to be a team hot and team cold competing when we should be simply 'reading' the charts and giving thoughts and insight.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm no expert but with the Usa getting cold again this will only fire up the jet. I can only see this cold spell ending one way after this happens,Think Ian f summed up my fears earlier today.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

I'm no expert but with the Usa getting cold again this will only fire up the jet. I can only see this cold spell ending one way after this happens,Think Ian f summed up my fears earlier today.

You could not be more right.... This cold spell will end only one way, it will get warmer!

I am no expert either. Could you explain why the "USA getting cold again" means the jet will fire up?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

Considering the Synoptics this winter, I feel many parts (roughly Midlands northwards) have got as much out of it as possible snowfall wise.

Moving forwards, it looks like cold will remain for another week but I think snowfall will be limited unless the high manages to squeeze further northwardS - possible but not the most likely option.

Following that an easing of the cold looks likely in the run up to mid February - no sign of a mild period though and there clearly seems to be the chance of more wintry potential at times with repeating patterns.

Unfortunately I just cannot see a true deep cold easterly setting up this winter

But it's like you have pleasure in showing people the break down in winter Synoptics, milder weather and less snowy outcomes in the models....it's weird we don't get excited and revel in showing colder, rainy outcomes in the models during the summer season. I really don't understand your train of thought!!

• Like 2

Posted

Hmm, charts at t240 are all thwart with danger whether they show cold, mild or whatever, and i'm sure you of all people know that. In fact i'm struggling to remember when the last time an op chart at T240 actually verified? 

Cold can be a bugger to shift once it's in and i suspect some of the op runs are being a tad progressive in shifting the cold. But of course that is only my opinion, and time will as ever tell  :)

fair comment sir... i wouldnt be posting those charts though if there wasnt cross model consistency, plus the noaa support. i think the timing might be in doubt, (hence agreeing with your last line :) )its looking like its pushed back abit this morning.  plus it might not evolve exactly as is currently predicted. the anomaly charts do suggest a more northwesterly upper flow across the uk, which doesnt suggest mild southwesterlies,,,but... with the high centred close to our southwest itll be a northwesterly sourced from a more southerly point then recent northwesterlies... tm air instead of pm?...

anyway im only commenting on whats being shown, if it goes pear shaped then so be it! i dont think the cold will be extended too much, and theres a big question over the degree of mildness verifying. i expect something rather average by week 2 of feb, IF its mild then great... if not ill just have to wait.. been here before though many times so its not a big issue with me.

• Like 1

Posted

But it's like you have pleasure in showing people the break down in winter Synoptics, milder weather and less snowy outcomes in the models....it's weird we don't get excited and revel in showing colder, rainy outcomes in the models during the summer season. I really don't understand your train of thought!!

Seems like he's saying he thinks February will be a fairly average month....he may be right, he may be wrong. Not really sure why you're getting so upset with his post.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z ECM PANTS! actually mild from 7th, gfs, gem and jma, much better with a decent E'ly, but experts on here say ECM top model in FI? hope not