Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just going to have an IMBY moan to make myself feel better!

These PM shots continually shown in the model outputs are a total waste of time for my neck of the woods. If we are not going to get a decent E'ly or NE'ly at some point in the next two months, then we may as well have a Bartlett set up because at least then I will be able to bike to work without getting soaked or blown away!

There, that's better....

However, for those in the N and NW, enjoy your possibilities of some proper winter weather in the next couple of weeks :)

they are here as well, only really high levels, more especially in the north, infact for Scotland above 300m, probably snowier than an easterly, as Scotland is often dry in an easterly close to the high

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter/ hot summer

Just thought I'd pop in here to say hello, as I'm a long time lurker on the forums but never posted. Enjoy reading the updates and banter and hopefully may be able to add to the debate from time to time. Keep up the good work!

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Looks like February is our last chance saloon for us in the South. Beginning to understand the pessimism now 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

Looks like February is our last chance saloon for us in the South. Beginning to understand the pessimism now

yep looks like another snowless winter down here! Even in most mild winters past we at least got to see some snow falling at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I can understand the pessimism from a snowy point of view, but we are only just hitting mid-winter. Looking back from Dec 1st, we have actually had quite a wide variety of weather across the UK! However for most of course...not the prolonged snowy spell that many crave. I've lowered my expectations of a normal British winter, difficult after the likes of 2009 & 2010. For me now, I think the struggle to get snow here most of the time, whilst frustrating, makes it that bit more special if it does eventually fall. I'd be happy with just a day of the stuff quite frankly!

February can be just as magical for snow if the right pattern sets up (extra daylight to play in the snow with the kids to!). Plus, I know many say the sun strength starts to melt it quicker but really...if the surface cold is there...it'll stay put!

I think we need to see what happens to the Jet after this active, unsettled phase of weather. Ian F over in the MOD thread mentioned a possibility of more anti-cyclonic spell towards end of Jan/early Feb. Depending where (and if) it sets up, there are some good possibilities that it could lead to. If the Jet Stream weakens and/or buckles due to some sort of blocking setting up, it could work in our favour. Too far away to consider for now though.

A week of stormy weather to contend with...let's see what the models show as we get close to next weekend...

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

yes i must admit i,m going to enjoy this week a real action packed and a quick change artist type situation from day to day ,and i,m pretty sure some surprises turning up .the end of the week could go many ways .saw my first sleet shower last night and watched it in the outside halogen lamp whilst sipping on a cup of tea ,very cosy [i must be mad ] some speculation now of a pressure rise towards the end of january ,Met office have been hinting for a while ,but its where that high sets up If it arrives ,and with february 20days away plenty more of winter left ,so gang seeing this is not the model thread  :cold:  :crazy:  :whistling:  :drunk: cheers . :bomb: nearly forgot the weather bomb .

Edited by legritter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

For once iam in right location for snow on Tuesday. I think Ireland is in the best place as far as 850temps are and iam sure I'll see snow for once?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Last chance in Winter yes but not Spring.

The seasons have been running ahead for sometime, our winter will be Spring, then Summer will see Spring and so on....

• Like 1

Posted

Last chance in Winter yes but not Spring.

The seasons have been running ahead for sometime, our winter will be Spring, then Summer will see Spring and so on....

No offence intended, but I've never heard something so silly in my life. There has ALWAYS been the possibility of colder or warmer weather outside of the seasons we normally see them in. Just a couple of years ago we had snow in Snowdonia at the height of summer, this is not some sort of indication though that the seasons are running x amount of months early/late. It's just unseasonal weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

No offence intended, but I've never heard something so silly in my life. There has ALWAYS been the possibility of colder or warmer weather outside of the seasons we normally see them in. Just a couple of years ago we had snow in Snowdonia at the height of summer, this is not some sort of indication though that the seasons are running x amount of months early/late. It's just unseasonal weather.

Both of you are right, except for that can't be the silliest thing you've ever heard...never seen a party political broadcast?!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

as nick f posted, shades of january 84, cold pm air with some snow. personally from my own pov its possibly the worst type of cold... wet cold.. slushy wet snow at best, or cold rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

Next Monday is looking very interesting for snow, enjoy this eye candy!!:

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Monday ^^

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

That is one hell of a snow spell we'd be buried alive!! :shok:  :cold: :cold:

except for me here in sth wales :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

High currumba!, Has Frosty manage to hack into the GFS computer network.

gfs-1-186.png?12

High currumba!, Has Frosty manage to hack into the GFS computer network.

gfs-1-186.png?12

LOL.. it's my birthday present :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Just tuned into bbc week ahead weather was it me or did they show lasts night's very weird

Posted

No offence taken, afterall it is the banter thread.

Would have to have a very shallow life to get offended on a weather forum.

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

...... and over the last 15 odd hours or so highlights why we should have a seperate thread for cold hunting and unbiased model thread. :whistling:

i guess i could put nearly everybody on 'ignore' , except the unbiased :spiteful::laugh:

or just :lazy: until its spring. :ninja::D

(yes i know paul, i said ill not go on about this subject, and im not, just having abit of a :D )

Posted

Both of you are right, except for that can't be the silliest thing you've ever heard...never seen a party political broadcast?!

Damnit I hate it when people show me up like that! :p

Posted

No offence taken, afterall it is the banter thread.

Would have to have a very shallow life to get offended on a weather forum.

Well, if it's the banter thread then I'll post this

deace2dcf12c3a5c9a4c4d6bfe82f92c419e422c

• Like 1

Posted

Well, if it's the banter thread then I'll post this

deace2dcf12c3a5c9a4c4d6bfe82f92c419e422c

Depends where in the c"World" your based... on that note it would probably be handy if you was to add your location to your profile, then if you state/observe anything people know where your talking about  :db:

P.S My Garden thinks its Spring  :rofl:

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

And so the hysteria mounts................where will it all end?

cartoon_thumb%25255B8%25255D.jpg?imgmax=

When does it end? Depends how many runs you want to give it before it all goes pear shaped. Ill give it 6.

Posted

Depends where in the c"World" your based... on that note it would probably be handy if you was to add your location to your profile, then if you state/observe anything people know where your talking about  :db:

Done, sort of!. Our garden also thinks it's spring too, tulips are starting to shoot up although the daffodils are not quite there yet. PERHAPS THE DAFFODILS KNOW SOMETHING THE TULIPS DIDN'T?!?!?!?!? :p

Posted

i trust this is a joke?

theres nothing unsual about spring plants growing in winter when its mild. as they dont know what lies ahead but merely react to the current conditions offered.

oddly enough, ive no snowdrops out yet, and in a mild winter they are often out by mid jan.

Posted

i

oddly enough, ive no snowdrops out yet, and in a mild winter they are often out by mid jan.

My snow drops are up too. Showing white buds, but none are open. Time for them looks about average to me. Saw some elongating catkins this week - that shows we have had a few mild days. Hopefully all will be put on hold for a while when get our snowfest.