Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Autumn/Winter 2014/15.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

This morning's GFS run is pretty grim 'till the end, looks very similar to charts from Feb this year which gave all the flooding around here. Though as many have said, there are significantly greater chances of disruption to the zonal flow etc. Some nice crisp sunny days this week to look forward to though! Something to smile about 😎

Posted

It should perhaps be noted that TEITS has apologised to members for his incorrect forecast after Xmas. Whilst this can only be applauded it is perhaps cause for concern that it will create a precedent causing the thread to become chock a block allowing little room for pertinent analysis.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

The GEFS ensembles depict a mainly average or slightly above average pattern! Unless we get some help from the Stratosphere soon I don't think we'll get any decent cold spells....

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

When is the GFS having its full upgrade? thought it was meant to happen by now.

The GFS P is the full upgrade I think

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes even a channel low there Knock.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

If I weren't so concerned about how bad January is panning out to be, I would take a few days off model watching and enjoy this more seasonal spell. Just as quickly as cold solutions were dropped, they may come back just as quickly in the next few days (not sure where from mind you). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Right, I'm writing off January for cold and snow (low levels south only) north will see cold/snow at times, models continually showing low pressure/zonal all the way, no greeny highs etc, not even any fantasy charts occasionally showing in FI, think towards mid Jan the azores high will move closer, meaning more TM air rather than PM (in a way I prefer that as it tends to be drier here,

not writing off winter, as Feb is a long way off (and are we not due a decent Feb?), who knows, hope for a weaker Atlantic, and March snow easily possible, April snow unlikely low levels south, but maybe we are due April snow

Posted

I have to say I'm not all that enthused at the outlook and talk of SSW and wave activity this and that shows that we're still a long, long way off predicting weather beyond 10 days let alone  seasonal output. Its wise to stick to the MetO short to medium term forecasts and look no further than this IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I have to say I'm not all that enthused at the outlook and talk of SSW and wave activity this and that shows that we're still a long, long way off predicting weather beyond 10 days let alone  seasonal output. Its wise to stick to the MetO short to medium term forecasts and look no further than this IMO.

iz it my imagination or has this SSW been 10 days away since mid Nov?

above post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by hec1 View it anyway? why would I wanna view it? a mildie

Edited by Ilovethesnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Hi

Just a quick moan from me as a Newbie . Certain "big name" posters on the Model discussion thread confuse the hell out of me ... One night there ,there giving the talk about how winters coming watch for heights to build and the cold to flood in its coming then bang "nothing" then there not seen for days .

I ain't seen no "big name" posters saying winter was coming, they were discussing what the charts were showing at the time and they were looking good but alas what the models were showing was not the correct solution.

After being in here a while you'll learn what posters are worth listening to, the "big names" wouldn't write a 'winter is coming' post just because of a cold run showing in the models :)

Speaking of which I hope we see some cold showing up soon in the models, I certainly won't be writing off the rest of winter like some seem to be doing, like someone else in here said recently, it's ludicrous to do that when we have two months of winter left.

Edited by Smartie
  • Like 3

Posted

No real need for that was there?

Actually, an increase in TM shots and SW winds is a natural progression from where were projected to be next week. Might not happen though.

I concur with Gibbys, why not play nice?

Perhaps I got a little passionate and for that I apologize for any offence, but with good reason. I like a realist - not a dreamer. I'm sorry it may not be what one may want to here but I think some need to get a grip. Not too long ago we were blowing our trumpets, the tide changed this does not mean it can revert to a more colder solutions. It is rather irritating hearing it from the same person all year round, this is not a dig just my stance, I suggest we all keep a open mind. And not be deterred by what is currently being shown... which will change subtly every single run, which can lead to bigger things. Zonal start I can go with that but to suggest 4 weeks of Atlantic onslaught. Is just a easy game to play really. And if it transpires those then ask for credit, typically UK winter is cool & wet. Those that see possible break in the pattern are those who deserve some credit, it is easy to state the obvious, big things have small beginnings. :) I'm not a pessimist but I've felt somewhat frustrated in recent days.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Same old guff in the MOD thread - Winter is over, you can write off January, it is not going to be snowing in my back garden so everything will be zonal and mild for the next couple of weeks...

We get the same in Summer when a few members post on June 28 that July will be a write off for any heat.

I am all for an unbiased daily report - Gibby for example.

The annoying posts come from certain members who pretend to be unbiased but really are just down in the dumps about not having seen any cold/hot spells so they take a glass half empty approach, add a sarcastic remark and that's when you get the rubbish.

I have been a member on here since January 2009 and have enjoyed coming on every year to read the MOD thread with a positive attitude after viewing all charts available no matter what they show, never to put anyone on my ignore list and to read every single members post on any certain day but it is becoming difficult nowadays due to the negativity and constant daily mood swings of 5 to 10 people who appear during Summer or Winter with daft posts- sad thing being they are actually grown men.

It has got to the point that I only enjoy reading certain members posts - for new members you will soon figure out who are worth a read and who to quickly skip past...

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted

iz it my imagination or has this SSW been 10 days away since mid Nov?

above post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by hec1 View it anyway? why would I wanna view it? a mildie

:cc_confused:

Posted

Perhaps I got a little passionate and for that I apologize for any offence, but with good reason. I like a realist - not a dreamer. I'm sorry it may not be what one may want to here but I think some need to get a grip. Not too long ago we were blowing our trumpets, the tide changed this does not mean it can revert to a more colder solutions. It is rather irritating hearing it from the same person all year round, this is not a dig just my stance, I suggest we all keep a open mind. And not be deterred by what is currently being shown... which will change subtly every single run, which can lead to bigger things. Zonal start I can go with that but to suggest 4 weeks of Atlantic onslaught. Is just a easy game to play really. And if it transpires those then ask for credit, typically UK winter is cool & wet. Those that see possible break in the pattern are those who deserve some credit, it is easy to state the obvious, big things have small beginnings. :) I'm not a pessimist but I've felt somewhat frustrated in recent days.

Worth just remembering though that this is the thread for ramping and moaning. I tend to drop the odd winters over type post in here myself when the mood takes me, precisely because it's not appropriate for the mod thread. For all I know the charts could flip completely in the morning. It wouldn't be the first time by a long way, but having been interested in this for many years I know a bad start point when I see one and right now that's what I'm seeing.

The strat thread is alive to the prospects of big things at the moment and if nothing else it will be interesting to see what wins out, ie whether it be the poor trop set up or the relatively good strat position.