Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Iceland's Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With "Massive" Chick Deaths

knocker

Posted

FLATEY ISLAND, Iceland—When the days grew long, seabirds flocked to this hamlet on the edge of the Arctic to rear their chicks under the midnight sun.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/08/140827-seabird-puffin-tern-iceland-ocean-climate-change-science-winged-warning/

Posted

If intent on blaming human activity, it would be far more plausible that deep sea trawling was depleting the main food sources.
Or more likely it's to do with natural cyclical changes in currents (which they do more or less point out part way through) 
When they start going on about how ocean acidification or water being warmed by the not-warming atmosphere, you know they have lost the plot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

If intent on blaming human activity, it would be far more plausible that deep sea trawling was depleting the main food sources.

Or more likely it's to do with natural cyclical changes in currents (which they do more or less point out part way through) 

When they start going on about how ocean acidification or water being warmed by the not-warming atmosphere, you know they have lost the plot.

And I suppose sea level is rising due to the non existent thermal expansion from the non existent ocean warming, and the extra non existent melt form the ice sheets due to the non existent atmospheric warming. Yep, the plot has certainly been lost somewhere long the line

• Like 2

Posted

And I suppose sea level is rising due to the non existent thermal expansion from the non existent ocean warming, and the extra non existent melt form the ice sheets due to the non existent atmospheric warming. Yep, the plot has certainly been lost somewhere long the line

The polar bears must be doin' alright now - time to move on to other 'victims'. And what became of my original post where I drew attention to the commentors of the article in question referring to humans as 'a virus' and a 'cancer', and that they should volunteer to test treatments ? Was it offensive or inflammatory in some way, or just a little too near the knuckle?

Posted

I have no doubt that factory fishing of the primary food source is having a huge impact on the ability to provide sufficient food for the chicks but it does not provide an answer as to why so many eggs are failing to hatch. That would imply something impacting the birds and having an effect on their fertility or maybe something that would cause genetic defects in the growth of the embryo chick.

It is a while since I lived in the NE of Scotland and regularly walked the Moray beaches but even way back then, the number of dead sea birds washed ashore seemed to be growing year on year.

• Like 1