Sign in to follow this  
Cakie

Banter - R.I.P

Halloween party was very popular. All the leftover food was given to the cleaners who had the biggest smile on their faces. I will give our cleaner on our block a tip for helping to clean up last night. He is so nice, always happy and saying hello

I bet they did, but how demeaning for them to have to rely on leftovers ??  The migrant workers in the UAE suffer some of the worst conditions, lowest pay and frequent abuse of even basic human rights.......throw them a crumb yet they still smile

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

• Like 1

I bet they did, but how demeaning for them to have to rely on leftovers ??  The migrant workers in the UAE suffer some of the worst conditions, lowest pay and frequent abuse of even basic human rights.......throw them a crumb yet they still smile

.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

They don't rely on leftovers but I'm sure it was a welcome treat to get free food, just like when you get free food leftover from meetings.

I know there are lots of people out here who don't get paid a lot and are not treated well by some but I cannot single handily change that so I try my best to make life as pleasant for those I can. I always say hello and talk to the cleaners, receptionists. Say thank you if they hold the door for you. The kids will walk the long way round to avoid going over the newly mopped floor while others just charge over with their buggies making the poor guy more work

You can't change the world overnight but you can chip away at it

• Like 3

Boo

Well I don't like to say it but we are on to organising the Christmas party now. I think rumours of wine consumed at the planning meetings may have tempted a few extra "helpers"

So how is everyone? I just realised I don't get fireworks on November 5th

• Like 1

Fine cakie ,lassies got a new hair do and my fireworks where cancelled due to heavy rain ,is it still hot ????...

• Like 1

Well I'm glad to hear Lassie is keeping his appearance in check.

Bad news about the fireworks, will they re-schedule? Tbags got to draw fireworks at school yesterday. That thing where you use wax crayons, then go over with black paint, then scrape it off to look like a night scene. It's not quite the same experience though.

Not long to Christmas now.....eek

• Like 1

Our local firework display is this weekend, weather not looking promising for that (good job I planned to watch it from the bedroom window then, dry and warm in there)

not planning on much for christmas this year other than a few days with the family, do not do the presents thing now other than small gifts for immediate family.

Well I'm glad to hear Lassie is keeping his appearance in check.

Bad news about the fireworks, will they re-schedule? Tbags got to draw fireworks at school yesterday. That thing where you use wax crayons, then go over with black paint, then scrape it off to look like a night scene. It's not quite the same experience though.

Not long to Christmas now.....eek

Yes I visited the vets for some grooming! :laugh:

Our local firework display is this weekend, weather not looking promising for that (good job I planned to watch it from the bedroom window then, dry and warm in there)

not planning on much for christmas this year other than a few days with the family, do not do the presents thing now other than small gifts for immediate family.

I have a free view of a display too, there is a massive tree in the way though and it still has its leaves, thanks for nothing mild autumn! :doh: I tend to buy presents more for family these days too! Friends will get something, but the family will get the decent presents ! It's socks for the friends, they all have feet, so socks will come in handy.............. :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:  :crazy:

Edited by lassie23

I struggle to find presents for people anyway (and have little free cash for the task anyway), and I ask "what would you/they like?" and always get the don't know answer, so now keep it cheap and generic, why waste money you do not have getting someone something they do not want

yup, bah humbug from me :p

• Like 1

I only give presents to my nieces and nephews and with the older ones it's money anyway. I get my mum something but it gets harder each year. Last year I bought her the Game of Thrones box set as I thought she would enjoy that kind of thing, Mr Loo likes it. I should have watched it myself first :O oh well she always says she's liberal minded

I think it's nice just to get together with people at Christmas (Winter solstice or what ever you celebrate)

I only give presents to my nieces and nephews and with the older ones it's money anyway. I get my mum something but it gets harder each year. Last year I bought her the Game of Thrones box set as I thought she would enjoy that kind of thing, Mr Loo likes it. I should have watched it myself first :O oh well she always says she's liberal minded

I think it's nice just to get together with people at Christmas (Winter solstice or what ever you celebrate)

It's a bit rude for mums Game Of Thrones lol! I remember when they started calling it winterval glad that nonsense has been knocked on the head and we are back with Crimbo, I mean Christmas! :doh:

Edited by lassie23

I never saw it when Mr Loo watched it, it certainly kept him quiet.

Xmas? Not seen a mince pie yet, usually I've given in and had one by now. Mince pies and party sausage rolls, my big Christmas vice

It's a bit rude for mums Game Of Thrones lol! I remember when they started calling it winterval glad that nonsense has been knocked on the head and we are back with Crimbo, I mean Christmas! :doh:

Proper name is yuletide till the church got their mits on it.

Proper name is yuletide till the church got their mits on it.

the church stole loads of the pagan festivals. Easter, convieniently around the start of spring, the start of new life. The kept clear of the summer solstice though, Druids are too scary to mess with

Sausage casserole and baked spuds tonight, had the aircon on to feel autumnal

• Like 1

Celebrated Samhain this year down the pub I must admit. 

just got back from the Brinkworth Bonfire & firework display.....nice & cold, felt very seasonal with us all wearing our bobble hats and gloves!....The kids absolutely loved it, especially little Rachel.....it was her first experience of fireworks, her face was a picture, and she had us laughing with her excitement!.....'Look daddy, that big firework was awesome, oh my goodness, so coooool !!'.......she's not even 3 yet!  :D..

Monty the penguin

Monty the penguin

is that the John Lewis guy? Sweet, not as good as the snowman one but still really good. I like the fact they don't shove products in your face for Christmas

Monty the penguin

I prefer this recut version to the original ...

......also looks like they ripped off the idea from Oliver Jeffers book 'lost and found'  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/john-lewis-christmas-advert-2014-4581661?ICID=FB_mirror_main

anyway IMO last year’s Bear and Hare was sooooo much better !!

• Like 3

WB Ali :)