J10

Other Sporting Discussion

I wanted to mention the success of Britain at the European Swimming Comps, and thought there was no dedicated thread, and didn't really want to open one for one post. So I opened this thread, where people can discuss "Other Sports"

British Swimming has had a mixed record to say the least in recent years.

in 2-12 Olympics in London, there was a poor showing with only 3 medals in the pool, and no golds.

In the 2-13 World Championships, there was a poor showing with only 1 medal in the pool, and no golds.

However this year saw British success at the Commonwealths in the pool and this has been carried over to the European Champs.

With Britain winning 11 golds, 8 silvers and 8 bronzes, winning the overall medal table with 27 total medals. A record breaking haul, hopefully this will translate to more medals at World level.

http://www.bln2014.de/competition/medal-count/?lang=en

I came third in an inter school swimming gala when I was 12..an old girlfriend from years ago was a life guard and her sister swam for Britain at the age of 14...don't know if that's relevant but was swimming related.. :unknw:

Zara Phillips has just taken top spot at the crosscountry event in the WEG in Normandy on High Kingdom :yahoo:  just hope she can hold on to it.

Well in the end after today's WEG in the Eventing challenge we managed to hold potential team silver and individual gold, tomorrows jumping stage will see the true results as this three day event draws to a close.

WEG and Burghley are on BBC2 15:00-18:00 today (highlights).

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but people have the option of either continuing existing threads

e.g. Tennis 2014 and rename e.g. Tennis 2014 and 2015. Or

to start new threads and I'll pin them as needed. 

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not but the great Ap McCoy has announced he will retire from Horse Racing at the end of the season

Well, not very good image of Chelsea FC supports who pushed away the black guy from boarding the train in Paris yesterday. Chanting racist taunts, " Chelsea, Cheslea, Chelsea, we are racists and that's the way we like it " Images splashed all over the net and news in Europe. A real good image of Englanders. Thick heads, who should not be allowed out of the country. Never really liked Chelsea fans, bigoted lot.

C

Jamie Hughes won fish o mania again, him and matt hall, the only 2 to win it twice, on sky sports today as well, international and juniors

fish 0 mania held very near me, at cudmore fisheries

Having watched the Tour of France with some interest, not least because it's a superb travelogue of France, I have come to the conclusion there are more nutters per square yard amongst the French sporting public than Millwall in their heyday.

Edited by knocker

...especially their commentators who seem to be ex-dopers who now believe a majority (particularly if your British) are taking illegal substances! Froome and Sky team taking a bit of a barracking from a minority of the spectators.

Is there a thread dedicated to Bog Snorkeling?

Well done to Greg Rutherford for winning the World Championship Gold  . I read reports before this event that is Gold at the Olympics was conidererd a fluke  . Well done   to Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah  as well .

I'm surprised not to see  american football not being discussed. I'm not sporty, but this has gotten me hooked. Knocks the spots off rugby in my opinion.

There's been some great gymnastics at the world championships in Glasgow this week, The GB women won a bronze in the team event and the men just got pipped for a gold. It will be interesting to see how the men go in the all around event. Heady days.

Fantastic Darts match this evening at Ally pally. Raymond Van Barneveld causing a upset knocking out world number 1 and known as "unbeatable' Michael Van Gerwen. Cracking stuff 

On 13 October 2015 at 0:15 PM, Dami said:

I'm surprised not to see  american football not being discussed. I'm not sporty, but this has gotten me hooked. Knocks the spots off rugby in my opinion.

We used to run a thread all things NFL based a few years ago here dami! :)

& i'm surprised interest here as wained condidering the regular season wembley games etc?

LOTS to discuss if anyones interested from NYGiants wideout odell beckhams attitude & subsequent week 16 ban to NFC South's last unbeaten team Carolina panthers who finally succumbed to losing aganst atlanta falcons (who interestingly could still scrape a wildcard spot?)

this sunday is regular season final week 17, which will determine whos into the playoffs, 2 teams from each conference, AFC & NFC, gain a wildcard playing away at the 2 worst champions of either the north, east, south & west, this is the 1st round "wildcard" of the postseason where the 1st & 2nd seeds, or 2 best win-loss champs of their division, have a bye & homefield advantage in the next round, or 2nd round "divisional playoffs" where the winners of the wildcard game play, the 3rd round or "conference championship" game that preceeds the superbowl is the same as 2 semi-finals of fooball to determine which team is the champion of the AFC & NFC :)

simple eh :D

not so reading over what ive typed? so easiest is:

1st - bye into div playoffs or "qtr finals"

2nd -bye & as above

3rd @ home to 6th

4th @ home to 5th

(1st 2nd 3rd & 4th are north east south & west champs of the afc & nfc, 5th & 6th seed are the 2 best teams finishing 2nd with the highest win ratio, every other team eats jelly donuts until the staff addresses pre-draft reports in march & players start training in the summer)

Edited by mezzacyclone
  • Like 1

Tomorrows games at the Alley Palley

Raymond van Barneveld v  Michael Smith

Adrian Lewis v Peter Wright

______________________________________ Winners above meet in the semi final - Winners below meet in the semi final

Gary Anderson v James Wade

Alan Norris v Jelle Klaasen

44 minutes ago, mezzacyclone said:

We used to run a thread all things NFL based a few years ago here dami! :)

& i'm surprised interest here as wained condidering the regular season wembley games etc?

LOTS to discuss if anyones interested from NYGiants wideout odell beckhams attitude & subsequent week 16 ban to NFC South's last unbeaten team Carolina panthers who finally succumbed to losing aganst atlanta falcons (who interestingly could still scrape a wildcard spot?)

this sunday is regular season final week 17, which will determine whos into the playoffs, 2 teams from each conference, AFC & NFC, gain a wildcard playing away at the 2 worst champions of either the north, east, south & west, this is the 1st round "wildcard" of the postseason where the 1st & 2nd seeds, or 2 best win-loss champs of their division, have a bye & homefield advantage in the next round, or 2nd round "divisional playoffs" where the winners of the wildcard game play, the 3rd round or "conference championship" game that preceeds the superbowl is the same as 2 semi-finals of fooball to determine which team is the champion of the AFC & NFC :)

simple eh :D

not so reading over what ive typed? so easiest is:

1st - bye into div playoffs or "qtr finals"

2nd -bye & as above

3rd @ home to 6th

4th @ home to 5th

(1st 2nd 3rd & 4th are north east south & west champs of the afc & nfc, 5th & 6th seed are the 2 best teams finishing 2nd with the highest win ratio, every other team eats jelly donuts until the staff addresses pre-draft reports in march & players start training in the summer)

My hubby has been a bengals fan for many many years and even used to play the sport, so it  more or less takes up sunday evening telly and now i understand a bit of what goes on, I quite enjoy it (nothing to do with the tight outfits:D).

With dalton out (QB) and an injured Mccarron starting, it looks doubtful that they will win their last game, but as division champs, us at 'who dey national' hope they will get past the first round of the play offs =)

Saying that we shall be rooting for them Sunday night and hope they prove me wrong =)

Edited by Dami

Daltons injury is terrible news for you bengals :/

but to be honest it favors us Jets and/or cheif with your star QB out!

LOTS sure hinge on the final week 17 matchups! ;)

4 hours ago, mezzacyclone said:

Daltons injury is terrible news for you bengals :/

but to be honest it favors us Jets and/or cheif with your star QB out!

LOTS sure hinge on the final week 17 matchups! ;)

Yes. I'm a Jets fan too, from the days of Ken O'Brien and Al Toon. Lost touch with the game a bit during the 90s, but started watching in earnest again when Sky began their coverage. Exciting times and a huge turnaround from last season. Just hoping Rex doesn't spoil the party.

2 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Yes. I'm a Jets fan too, from the days of Ken O'Brien and Al Toon. Lost touch with the game a bit during the 90s, but started watching in earnest again when Sky began their coverage. Exciting times and a huge turnaround from last season. Just hoping Rex doesn't spoil the party.

In that case yarmy you remember this golden oldie

Week 3 NFL 1986

"Pocket ken" was quite a remarkable qb in my opinion!

86-87 he topped the passer ratings beating the likes of marino, esiason,fouts,kreig,elway,kosar,moon,eason,montana,mcmahon,white, simms,deberg,theisman, jaworski & kramer!

(I think its al michaels who did the "gunning for it all to walker" commentary on the above link with abc?)

key factor sunday is stopping buffalo's running game but rexy boy will be out to end todd bowles playoff hopes by winning at RW stadium allowing pittsburgh the wildcard spot who will most likely see off the cleveland "dawgs" browns at home?

in all i admire bruce arians running the cardinals with huge respect & favour them for SB 50 victors ("L"roman numerals isnt being used this year!)

Januarys going to be fun thats for sure :)

• Like 1