Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

look at the blue line all

wow

I know John,if that stays like that then something big has happened,i expect it will level out some,the wind has picked up a bit but not much in the way it can cause such irratic movements like that.

and have now lost cams

same here!

look @ the upticks on the plots

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/allarsort.html

whoah!

the red line is up there with the blue

post-16960-0-38622000-1415147524_thumb.p

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted

hi all

the drumplots have all jumped

i have been checking water flow

http://en.vedur.is/

at present all seems normal although i expect imo have got their eyes on that even if they wait

until tomorrow to review the quakes

going to shoot off now as bed calls

same again tomorrow

nite all

• Like 1

Posted

hi all

the drumplots have all jumped

i have been checking water flow

http://en.vedur.is/

at present all seems normal although i expect imo have got their eyes on that even if they wait

until tomorrow to review the quakes

going to shoot off now as bed calls

same again tomorrow

nite all

Night mate,have a pleasant one,sweet Barda dreams :lazy:

I will be lurking for a bit longer.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning all.

No large or medium e/q's overnight, but still large number of smaller ones.

The GPS has got beserk overnight. Could it be weather related?

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Morning all.

No large or medium e/q's overnight, but still large number of smaller ones.

The GPS has got beserk overnight. Could it be weather related?

MIA

A 3.5 m sigh is unlikely to be weather related but other than this 4.7

Wednesday

05.11.2014 03:23:59 64.678 -17.454 5.6 km 4.7 99.0 5.5 km NE of Bárðarbunga

not much to explain the movement. I note that they have changed the short term GPS graph scale covering the vertical movement from I thought about 1.5m to 3m. Are they expecting some greater drops I wonder!1

Posted
Seismic activity in Bardarbunga

continues to be strong.

Since

Monday  the 3 of November, 200 earthquakes have been detected in the caldera

The largest measured earthquake was on Tuesday, November 4.

at 20:45 of M4,8.

A total of 15 earthquakes were of sizes between M 4 and 5; 15 of sizes between M3 and 4. No earthquakes larger

than M5 have been observed since Sunday.

The GPS station in the centre of Bardarbunga show

that the subsidence of the caldera continues with similar rate

as it has been doing over the last few weeks.

Measurements carried out from the air show that the greatest

subsidence of the Bárðarbunga caldera has now reached 44 meters.

Energy of the geothermal areas in Bardarbunga is now few hundred megawatts and the melting of water is

estimated around 2 cubic meters per. second.

Aerial observations on Tuesday November 4

show that the

geothermal cauldrons in Báðarbunga have deepened by 5-8 meters

over the past 11 days.

from imo (link supplied)

Posted

Long-Term Effects of Eruption Pollution to Be Studied By Zoë Robert November 05, 2014 15:19 Updated: November 05, 2014 15:20

720x428xsulfur_dioxide_pollution_holuhra

The haze from SO2 pollution in the East Fjords in early September. Photo: Zoë Robert.

The Icelandic government approved an additional ISK 690 million (USD 5.6 million, EUR 4.5 million) in funding to various organizations for costs both already incurred and expected in relation to the eruption in Holuhraun earlier this week, ruv.is reports. 

Part of the funding will go to research on the long-term effects of the sulfur dioxide (SO2) pollution emitted from the eruption on humans by the Directorate of Health.

Chief Epidemilogist Haraldur Briem has previously claimed that the pollution poses no long-term effects because high levels do not exist in populated areas for long periods of time. He referenced a study of SO2 pollution carried out among inhabitants in Japan where an eruption has lasted seven years.

The Department of Civil Protection will continue to monitor the Holuhraun eruption site in the northeastern highlands over the winter.

A minimum of two police officers at a time will remain at the cabin in Drekagil, close to the site. The purpose is to both monitor the eruption itself, which is not always possible via webcam, as well as any people in the area.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2014/11/05/long-term-effects-eruption-pollution-be-studied

Posted

Wednesday

05.11.2014 18:19:43 64.673 -17.372 2.8 km 4.5 99.0 8.3 km ENE of Bárðarbunga Wednesday

05.11.2014 16:29:31 64.676 -17.475 7.6 km 3.1 99.0 4.7 km NNE of Bárðarbunga Wednesday

05.11.2014 14:01:26 64.620 -17.401 4.0 km 4.8 99.0 6.5 km ESE of Bárðarbunga Wednesday

05.11.2014 03:23:59 64.678 -17.454 5.6 km 4.7 99.0 5.5 km NE of Bárðarbunga Wednesday

05.11.2014 00:29:10 64.677 -17.467 6.9 km 3.7 99.0 5.0 km NE of Bárðarbunga

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/#view=table

list of plus 3 today

Posted

Finally we have visual

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga-2/

although not very clear,very eery tonight with a fast movement of low clouds zipping from left to right

not much to report on tonight though with regards to activity

Edit:incoming,maybe 3+ EQ.

a 3.8 unchecked

http://baering.github.io/

up von goes

post-16960-0-07572500-1415233874_thumb.g

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Morning all

EQ's over 3 so far today

Thursday
06.11.2014 08:44:58 64.677 -17.480 4.8 km 4.2 99.0 4.7 km NNE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday
06.11.2014 05:19:54 64.660 -17.460 0.6 km 3.5 50.5 3.9 km NE of Bárðarbunga (unchecked)

Thursday
06.11.2014 03:44:34 64.673 -17.506 8.5 km 4.2 99.0 3.7 km NNE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday
06.11.2014 00:18:54 64.677 -17.463 4.5 km 4.5 99.0 5.1 km NE of Bárðarbunga

all NE again

strain counts on the up.

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/strain/1sec/index.html

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Thursday

06.11.2014 18:26:29 64.661 -17.406 0.1 km 4.8 99.0 6.2 km ENE of Bárðarbunga

updated quake

and only 0.1km deep again

not much to say tonight

no cams viewable either :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

post-4726-0-86682400-1415315251_thumb.jp ICE 3 infra-sound plot, When I find the map again I'll post where ICE 3 is... It is near or on Bada I think.

The plot is interesting, in comparison with quakes from the same period. I think/vaguely remember something about these being dropped off from a helicopter in September. ICE 1,2 and 3.

I get the impression that Bada may be changing something, look out for the fissure stopping and fresh eruption elsewhere, maybe. Also it could just stop, somehow I don't think so, but it is still possible for Bada to go back to sleep. My own take is still  a NE flank collapse, it just takes a bit longer than I thought :mellow:

I hope to see more over flights on YouTube, surly all those people aren't keeping it all to themselves :closedeyes: ,I would think at least one in ten would post on the Net in a hope that their video gets a bit viral...these days.

I am sure I have seen no more than 10 small over flight videos and only 3 of them are what you call taken by a competent camera operator and a reasonable camera.

Funny thing is some photos of the 2010 EJ eruption only surfaced for me this September, may be they were out there earlier who knows, here is a taste "Crazy Icelanders" with superjeeps, love it, they sound like a fun bunch. Wish I had the money to go play with them :hi: post-4726-0-54295900-1415316471_thumb.jppost-4726-0-62335400-1415316523_thumb.jp  This is the small fissure eruption that stopped one day before EJ blew in to the News...Sadly one of the jeeps broke down on the way back on the last few days of the fissure, both in the vehicle died frozen. They were the only fatality's of the 2010 eruption.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

5,4 This morning

Friday
07.11.2014 07:11:23 64.658 -17.514 5.6 km 5.4 99.0 2.1 km NNE of Bárðarbunga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Quote; Jón Frímann Jónsson  "The area that is subsiding is now not just the caldera. It’s the whole volcano that is now lowering and this is something that I consider a really bad news."

He is referring to this statement http://en.vedur.is/media/jar/Factsheet_Bardarbunga_20141107.pdf

I think he is thinking that the whole volcano will start forming a hew larger caldera, dropping into the emptying magma chamber, this could take 100's of years, but it could cause a big eruption at Bada in the meantime, during this current event/eruption.

Hell on Earth is Iceland when she wants...Hope it dies away and stops, it is too big to go bang in our lifetimes me thinks. Nice little(Biggest on earth since 18th century!) fissure eruption, is one thing, but Bada being the biggest strata volcano on Earth, going full on is another completely different ball game. 

Map from IMO because they are nice people, that like sharing we can see it post-4726-0-15801400-1415376692_thumb.jp Todays map but I don't know when it starts, blue oldest red youngest. 

I plotted this using the IMO algorithms (thanks folks) All the EQ's over mag 3 since August 14 to today at 1600Zpost-4726-0-60242200-1415377057_thumb.jp

Zoom post-4726-0-53893500-1415377266_thumb.jp Once again thank you IMO

University of Iceland twitter link https://twitter.com/uni_iceland updated with fresh pictures quite often.

This person is worth keeping an eye on too https://www.facebook.com/jardvis?ref=stream

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Holuhraun Eruption Still Going Strong By Zoë Robert November 06, 2014 10:36 Updated: November 07, 2014 16:43

690x460xeruption_holuhraun_lava_eruption

Photo: Bernard Meric.

The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun continues with similar intensity. Around 200 earthquakes were detected in the caldera between Monday and yesterday morning, according to the latest Status Report from the Civil Protection Department’s Scientific Advisory Board, published yesterday.

Observation of the eruption is becoming more difficult for scientists in the field due to increasingly difficult driving conditions in the area. There has been a lot of snowfall.

The GPS station in the center of Bárðarbunga volcano—the lava erupting in a fissure in Holuhraun originates in the Bárðarbunga magma chamber—shows that the subsidence of the caldera continues at a similar rate as in the last few weeks. Measurements carried out from the air show that subsidence of the caldera has now reached 44 meters (144 feet).

The energy of the geothermal areas in Bárðarbunga volcano in Vatnajökull now measures several hundred megawatts and the melting of glacial ice is estimated at approximately 2 cubic meters per second.

The Aviation Color Code for Bárðarbunga remains at ‘orange,’ which is used to indicate when a volcano is exhibiting heightened unrest with increased likelihood of eruption or when a volcanic eruption is underway with no or minor ash emission. 

A sub-glacial eruption is still a possible future scenario and scientists remain on the alert.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2014/11/06/holuhraun-eruption-still-going-strong

Posted

list of plus 3 today

Friday
07.11.2014 18:33:05 64.670 -17.450 1.1 km 3.5 50.5 5.0 km NE of Bárðarbunga Friday
07.11.2014 14:40:51 64.667 -17.411 5.5 km 4.4 99.0 6.3 km ENE of Bárðarbunga Friday
07.11.2014 14:21:57 64.683 -17.462 7.4 km 4.2 99.0 5.7 km NNE of Bárðarbunga Friday
07.11.2014 07:11:23 64.658 -17.514 5.6 km 5.4 99.0 2.1 km NNE of Bárðarbunga Friday
07.11.2014 02:38:01 64.688 -17.453 6.9 km 3.9 99.0 6.4 km NE of Bárðarbunga

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/#view=table

note the top one waiting review

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

still nowt to see on the cams

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/

but maybe see something on sunday assuming he wind keeps down

gps dropping but stable not quickly

barc_gps_3d_is.png

what happens next ????

keep watching to find out

Posted

the GPS station in the centre of Bardarbunga show that the subsidence of the caldera

has decreased. Other measurements do though show that the volume of the subsidence increases with the same rate as it has done since
these measurements started in September. This indicates that the flow of magma from Bardarbunga is not decreasing.
Edited by john pike

Posted

the GPS station in the centre of Bardarbunga show that the subsidence of the caldera

has decreased. Other measurements do though show that the volume of the subsidence increases with the same rate as it has done since
these measurements started in September. This indicates that the flow of magma from Bardarbunga is not decreasing.

Is this a result of the caldera side walls melting/deforming, effectively making the caldera larger?