IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Observing_the_Earth/Bardarbunga_belches

hope that helps lorenzo

hi rusty

lets hope the cams stay up and the weather holds

lovely to watch but lets hope it does not cause travel chaos if the caldera collapses

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

hi rusty

lovely to watch but lets hope it does not cause travel chaos if the caldera collapses

Howdy John. Our High pressure should help for now re air disruption, lets hope it builds and stays for a good while..

I have not got links for the charts Lorenzo, asked about all that stuff was lost sometime between this year and the last one in 2011 :nonono:

The Mila 1 and more so 2 look ominous at the moment... Another Mag 4 just happened around 17:40 Iceland Time, likely the fissure under the ice, I think it has erupted its just got to do some damage to the ice covering it. Bound to be a pretty good flood in front of the cams.

I would say 80% that it is a new fissure eruption at this point in time.

No the Mag 4 I just mentioned 17:40 IT was under Bada I think...

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Quakes coming thick and fast now at the caldera, another 4.3 (verified) in the last 30 minutes at a depth of 2.9km depth.

I'm trying to get my head around the nature of the material between glacier and magma, if it's dropping is it going to split? That would seem to presage a mixing of water and magma which could be pretty explosive. Or is it, somehow, just expanding and malleable?

Posted

hi rusty

i keep watching cam 1 for the uplift on the cloud there (impressive)

also near the new station it looks like somethings happening which would be quite a distance from the erupting fissure

snag is its very hard to see the actual source

Posted

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Observing_the_Earth/Bardarbunga_belches

hope that helps lorenzo

hi rusty

Hi John,

I heartily agree about the travel chaos, I'd have to get back from Sweden :-(

I wonder what we'll see first, something in the crater or something in the fissure under the ice?  The 2 M4's under the ice suggest that will go first.  Do we know the ice thickness there?  It must be quite a bit thinner there than higher up, could still make a mess though.

And then there's another in the crater, glad I'm not there

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

Quakes coming thick and fast now at the caldera, another 4.3 (verified) in the last 30 minutes at a depth of 2.9km depth.

I'm trying to get my head around the nature of the material between glacier and magma, if it's dropping is it going to split? That would seem to presage a mixing of water and magma which could be pretty explosive. Or is it, somehow, just expanding and malleable?

Jon Frimann the man in Iceland that predicted EJ in 2010, has just said (quote) There is also clue that central part of the caldera floor is now so soft that it no longer breaks and creates earthquakes, it is just buckling under the strain. This increases the risk of eruption in the central caldera up to almost certainty levels (for me that is 96+% chance of happening). http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/

Jon has also stated that the Volcano is making its own weather and I think he means local acid rain, farmers are shifting stock etc...

The swarm N of Askja still rumbles on...post-4726-0-78803500-1410201613_thumb.jppost-4726-0-09658400-1410201623_thumb.jp

Updated todays EQ's ... post-4726-0-35986100-1410202037_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Jon has also stated that the Volcano is making its own weather and I think he means local acid rain, farmers are shifting stock etc...

I have a lot of time for Jon FR, he's been on the button most of the time.

So it's making it's own weather locally, I suppose what happens over the coming weeks determines whether it will have wider effects.  Do we know the regional effects Mt St Helens had when she went up?  I think that's the closest (in terms of date) to a big blowout.

Looking at the charts it seems that Northern Scandinavia could get a lot of fallout if it blows in the next few days, but then we have to factor in what effect the injection of Ash and SO2 into the stratosphere would have

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

So it's making it's own weather locally, I suppose what happens over the coming weeks determines whether it will have wider effects.  Do we know the regional effects Mt St Helens had when she went up?  I think that's the closest (in terms of date) to a big blowout.

Looking at the charts it seems that Northern Scandinavia could get a lot of fallout if it blows in the next few days, but then we have to factor in what effect the injection of Ash and SO2 into the stratosphere would have

I saw a video yesterday that showed up the localised effect, with heavy rain and hail at ground level. I presume those are pyrocumulus that we're now seeing?

Posted

The ash bit is quite straightforward, it is the gas bit, Icelandic rifting fissure type eruptions are totally different in this respect, they contain high concentrations of the worst gasses, unlike St Helens, which was much kinder with the gas output.

Its the build up that is worrying, if it gets around the Northern Hemisphere it stays and just builds up if the fissure keeps spewing it out. Today the plume from the fissure has got thicker and more poisonous I think.

I think Jon will have thought it through before he pressed the mouse clicker, like you say he is usually right not often wrong with Icelandic volcanoes.

Looks like some ash from the fissure on Mila 1 it has been seen by scientists over the past few days out of one of the vents, looks like it is back.

Nice gallery http://www.ruv.is/frett/holuhraun-eruption-picture-gallery Especially the Askja shot.

RE the possible fissure eruption under the ice, if it is nearer to Bada, it should I think have more eruptive pressure behind it, emphasis I think.

The flow in the river center Bada 1 has increased I think more water vapor visible  post-4726-0-07737300-1410205226_thumb.jp

Fresh quakes on the way. Local to DYN station maybe interference not sure they are not on the drums.  post-4726-0-40156600-1410205890_thumb.jp

Bada 2 looks a ghastly color.  post-4726-0-14194600-1410206134_thumb.jp

White van man, mean looking passion wagon that...post-4726-0-90764600-1410206299_thumb.jp

Quote IMO:-  

8th September 2014 19:20 - from geoscientist on duty

The earthquake activity today continues at the northern part of the dyke intrusion. The largest earthquake  in the dyke since the end of August occurred at 16:27 today with magnitude 4.5. The largest earthquakes located today at the caldera rim:

kl. 06:15, M 4,8

kl. 07:20 M 4, 6

kl. 14:48, M 5,0

kl. 17:53, M 4,3

An earthquake swarm is taking place north of Herðubreið. About 80 earthquakes have been recorded today, all below magnitude 2. Swarms in this area are not uncommon. Due to high concentration of SO2, scientists are leaving the area. End of Quote...

north of Herðubreið :-  post-4726-0-72429400-1410207113_thumb.jp   Only the bottom 3 checked to 90% no 99% as yet.

The person by the van on Mila 1 has just waved at the camera and has been acting daft for us aswell :friends:

Big one on its way looks like a 5. Make that a 4 @21:21 UK

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

LOL it is not a Doppler radar at all it is a BBQ...post-4726-0-67661700-1410207919_thumb.jp

The fresh earthquake is not at this end of Iceland it is over to the South West at Grindavik, a populated area, at least a mag 4 I think...post-4726-0-30109800-1410208305_thumb.jp 

Reykjanes peninsula there will be a green star in a new place for this event in the West, of course rifting can put strains on the rest of the ridge through Iceland, the Reykjanes just another part, stress release I would think...

BBQ looks great   post-4726-0-17133300-1410208856_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

smoke behind their mobile station was not there last night

i would love to see where its coming from

is that related to these

Monday
08.09.2014 16:27:15 64.789 -16.970 7.4 km 4.5 99.0 11.3 km E of Kistufell Monday
08.09.2014 16:22:06 64.796 -16.892 7.9 km 3.0 99.0 15.1 km E of Kistufell

140908_2055.png

hard to tell at present

but no doubt find out tomorrow

as rusty pointed out

i will have a burger please :laugh:

Posted

I think the steam is from the river hitting the lava flow, out of sight below the van, I think they can see better in the van as they are near the steep drop off.

If the glacial fissure shows up I think it will be between the van and the active fissure, right at the back, just a small red spot at first, I guess.

The big quakes have died down maybe lava is flowing freely now it has removed some obstructions...Time will tell.

Hekla felt that one on Reykjanes peninsula   post-4726-0-16349600-1410212937_thumb.jp Stresses and strains abound...

BBQ finished...post-4726-0-60045400-1410215354_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Guys,

Just looked at Mila 2.

To me it clearly shows a new fissure going from the bottom of the hill (in front of cam) to the original fissure.

In addition lava can be seen even nearer to the camera apparently coming out of this fissure.

I suspect that Mila 1 cannot see the new fissure and all that can be seen is the smoke/steam rising from it.

Also just before darkness fell on Mila 1,I coiuld see the river going away to the left of screen. It did appear that the new fissure may well have blocked it as I could see what appeared to be water (dammed up) i moving away from the camera towards the  top left of the canera angle.

It may well be a different world in the morning. I wonder what the white van men saw!!.....

MIA

Posted

Guys,

Just looked at Mila 2.

To me it clearly shows a new fissure going from the bottom of the hill (in front of cam) to the original fissure.

In addition lava can be seen even nearer to the camera apparently coming out of this fissure.

I suspect that Mila 1 cannot see the new fissure and all that can be seen is the smoke/steam rising from it.

Also just before darkness fell on Mila 1,I coiuld see the river going away to the left of screen. It did appear that the new fissure may well have blocked it as I could see what appeared to be water (dammed up) i moving away from the camera towards the  top left of the canera angle.

It may well be a different world in the morning. I wonder what the white van men saw!!.....

MIA

what you ar seeing is the lava flow from the fissure and the area in the river is that lava flow damming up the river which is why there is more steam coming up from that area. if there was a new fissure it would be opening up south eastof the current fissure

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Earthquakes Tsunamis â€@NewEarthquake 12m

5.4 earthquake, 118km WNW of Hofn, Iceland. Sep 9 01:07 at epicenter (13m ago, depth 6.8km). http://j.mp/1lOCfZD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

what you ar seeing is the lava flow from the fissure and the area in the river is that lava flow damming up the river which is why there is more steam coming up from that area. if there was a new fissure it would be opening up south eastof the current fissure

Thanks Tom

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like the dike intrusion is continuing moving but more North than before. Earthquake activity seems to have dropped a bit after a lively spell later yesterday. The fissure eruption seems more lively this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

Earthquakes Tsunamis â€@NewEarthquake 12m

5.4 earthquake, 118km WNW of Hofn, Iceland. Sep 9 01:07 at epicenter (13m ago, depth 6.8km). http://j.mp/1lOCfZD

I see that on the USGS, but nothing matching on the vedur.is site.

nothing even at the same time.    Strange

• Like 1

Posted

I see that on the USGS, but nothing matching on the vedur.is site.

nothing even at the same time.    Strange

Yes, very odd. Often differences in magnitude but normally you can identify the time and location.

Posted

Yes, very odd. Often differences in magnitude but normally you can identify the time and location.

There now, along with another 4 minutes earlier at M3.8

Here's a question for someone.  When a quake is reported at, for example, 1km depth, does that mean it's 1Km  below ground level?  I ask because Barda is just over 2,000m in height, so any quake reported at 1km depth could be 1km from the surface of the mountain (excluding Ice) or 1km below sea level.

Anyone know?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

There now, along with another 4 minutes earlier at M3.8

Here's a question for someone.  When a quake is reported at, for example, 1km depth, does that mean it's 1Km  below ground level?  I ask because Barda is just over 2,000m in height, so any quake reported at 1km depth could be 1km from the surface of the mountain (excluding Ice) or 1km below sea level.

Anyone know?

From the IMO EQ pages:

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/1225

"Columns 5 and 6 approximate the focal depth (the distance from the hypocenter to the epicentre) and the magnitude of the earthquake, respectively."

Since the epicentre is conventionally defined to be the point on the Earth's surface directly above the hypocenter, I interpret this as the distance below the surface and not below sea level.

• Like 1